Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on June 5, 2008
This book is an excellent follow-on to volume 1, which I enjoyed very much. This second volume covers platform and tabbed pop-ups of various sorts: structures which are cut separately from the main pop-up card or paper and are attached to it by hidden glue tabs, slots and other devices. These are the structures used by paper engineers like Robert Sabuda in their fabulous books.

Like the first volume (which features many of the various pop-up structure you can make by folding and cutting into a single piece of paper or card) this book includes samples of each structure that you make yourself. Following the directions--which are very clear and well illustrated--and actually cutting and gluing the pop-up yourself is a great way to learn and remember how to make it. In addition, as a bonus, you have a nice, fully-illustrated pop-up card you can keep or give away when you're done (much nicer than practicing with just a plain piece of paper).

Carol Barton is both a first rate paper engineer and a capable writer, a combination of talents which results in a great book that anyone interested in pop-ups will enjoy. If you master the techniques in this book and volume 1, you will be well on your way to becoming a pop-up expert. I highly recommend this book.
on July 31, 2008
Carol's Pocket Paper Engineer book is fabulous!
The information, illustrations, inspirations, index and references are exceptional.
I appreciate the clear, concise and witty presentation, which is exactly like Carol is, in person!
Having recently taken a pop-up workshop at the Santa Fe Art Institute with Carol,
I was eagerly looking forward to this new book. My anticipation was well rewarded.
This book is so very much like Carol is, in person, infused with passion, pizazz, humor, integrity and jam packed with stimulating challenges to delight the paper engineer of any age, background or expereince.

The size and scale of Carol's book is perfect. It is large enough to study with ease and small enough to
carry and peruse when traveling, riding the bus or standing in a check out line. In case you wonder, I find life more interesting if I carry a book to study, when life gets boring or I need to maximize my time, while waiting to accomplish life's silly, time consuming details.

I absolutely love the spiral binding which allows the book to lie perfectly flat on your bench
while creating your art images and pop-up wonders. The periodic quotes send shivers up and down my spine!
The directions are clear and easy to follow and once you have created the exercise, you are eager to push the new visual information further using your own personal, artistic imagery.

The Pocket Paper Engineer is a meticulous, well researched and written, illustrated and executed
creative art tech book. Besides the aspect of the pop-up structures (platforms and props) the reader
is creatively challenged, stimulated and well rewarded. We are encouraged to think in all (different) directions in order to go past our own personal limitations, while working through the exercises in a well planned and executed order of events. This book will "pop-up" and ignite your grey matter in ways that will lead to more creative "pop-ups!" Enough said!

Mini-disclaimer:
This review has been respectfully written from the following prospectives:
I am not a book artist, as such, but I have spent a lot of time around a fabulous book artist!
Yes, I am the late Shereen LaPlantz's husband, David.
From the vantage point of living with a book artist, I feel that I have an intimate understanding of book arts, their creators and the magic contained within them.
Therefore, by osmosis I have lived with incredible artists' books all around me. I feel so fortunate!
My art life revolves around making metal jewelry and assemblage, mixed media sculpture
in the form of "Art Microphones."
on August 7, 2008
If you have always loved pop-up books and cards, then this is a craft book for you!

This is a beautifully illustrated and packaged book. The interior is a heavy-duty spiral binding that enables the book to lay flat and the pages to turn easily. Around the spiral binding is a hardcover that protects the contents. Author Barton has clearly and plainly explained terms you may need to know, supplies you may find helpful, and even supplied suggestions for gluing, folding, and cutting that will make your projects look professionally done.

The book provides a number of projects you can simply pull out of the book, follow the instructions, and complete a beautiful finished project in almost no time. But you are not limited to the provided projects; this book will spark ideas that you can do with your own materials for a number of fun uses. My ten-year-old son and I have made cards, a Lego background scene, and are designing our own pop-up book from ideas we found in this book. You will only be limited by your imagination once you know the secrets of how to construct the various forms of pop-ups explained in this book!

I do not have Volume 1 of this series, but that is something I intend to remedy very soon. These books are both a marvelous resource and a project book all in one. With book one; you are able to purchase the project pages separately so that you do not have to remove them from the book if you don't wish too. I really hope this package of project pages will also be available for the second book for those of us who hate to tear anything out of a book.

Anyone, of any age, who loves to create with paper whether it is for card making, scrapbooking, or other imaginative paper art projects, will love this book!

Armchair Interviews says: See our earlier review of The Pocket Paper Engineer-Volume 1: Basic Forms by Carol Barton.
on August 11, 2012
Pop-up Vol2 as with 1&3 is a. Delight to have and use, being able to follow the esay steps to make your own Pop-up cards & books for me is the best,the design and layout makes it so easy.
First you get to make a card, simple , then work through , by the time you have finished no1 it's non stop ,yes it's that easy.
"Don't talk to me I,m cutting and folding" standard reply.
To finish and wait for the glue to dry and know the end product is going to be like the picture, Wow is the statement , so if you trawelling through here to find an instruction book or books on how to in the art of Pop-Up Paper Engineering, go no further, it starts here. Go for it Volumes 1-2-3 , your on your way, good luck & happy cutting, folding & glueing.
Cheers
Neville Blachford
Pumpkin press
Victoria Australia.
on January 23, 2014
I taught the art of "pop up" in my high school art classes. I believe the calisthenics that a person's mind goes through in creating these is essential to developing a truly well rounded and healthy ability to problem solve. This was not advanced enough.
on July 8, 2008
Like Volume I, Volume II is filled with easy to follow directions that allow the beginning or advanced paper engineer to learn how to make an amazing variety of pop-ups. I can't wait to share this Volume with my students who love paper and sculpting with it. The easy-to-follow directions and fabulous illustrations make it just plain fun. AND--I was motivated to play around and try each one of the structures because of how these two elements work together. If it was just plain paper, it would have ended up on my shelf with some of my other resource books.

Well done Carol!
on March 2, 2012
Of all of the pop-up construction books that I own, this is one of my favs. It takes a hands-on approach, allowing readers to construct models from the playful designs printed on heavy card stock in the book. Pockets are provided in the book so that you can store your finished creations for subsequent review
on June 8, 2008
I've been eagerly awaiting volume 2 of the Pocket Paper Engineer since I devoured the first volume and took a class with Carol Barton a couple of summers ago. She is that rare combination: wonderfully creative and a fabulous teacher. These talents translate to her instruction books beautifully. She is scrupulously careful and thoroughly knowledgeable and it shows in the quality of her instructions and the projects included. The book is a work of art in itself and the projects are absolute fun, too! I would recommend starting with volume 1 if you are a beginner. Clear your schedule---you will become addicted.
on July 2, 2008
The Pocket Paper Engineer, Volume 2, is as exciting and approachable as Volume One. I am a novice paper engineer. However, not only am I able to understand the clear instructions, but can hardly wait to go on to the next beautifully illustrated project. This book has my mind buzzing with ideas to do on my own. In addition, I love the provacative quotes in both volumes at the beginning of each section. Thank you, Carol Barton, for another excellent book.
on September 14, 2012
This book and the others in the series are great fun. The projects are challenging, the instructions are easy to follow, and when you finish building a pop-up you won't believe you made something that cool. I've already started building my own cards based on what I've learned here. Fun for adults and kids!