5.0 out of 5 stars "There's no cure for the facts of life"
Published on December 17, 2008 by S. Sweeney

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
ok
Published 3 months ago by arneb

5.0 out of 5 stars "There's no cure for the facts of life", December 17, 2008
This review is from: The Pocket Pema Chodron (Shambhala Pocket Classics) (Paperback)
Part outline, part entree, part reminder of all that we have read earlier from Pema, the notes we would have taken in her class (were we enlightened enough to do so). The more extended teachings -- on happiness, fear, uncertainty, on identifying the hook of habitual behaviors and choosing otherwise, on seeking out rather than avoiding the life in which you are "continually thrown out of the nest," on the difference between repressing and refraining -- remain essential, and references to those sources are provided in the back of this little pocket book. Yet this diminutive, pithy collection is like an extended slogan, or the stone pocketed on the shore during your last night at retreat, a convenient yet powerful reminder of something good and sane that can help guide you through times -- such as these -- when goodness and sanity are up against some pretty ancient thinking and habits.

It's the nature of things to change, Pema tells us, "and you don't have to freak out about it." Said another way, that might take a book's worth of observation and explication. The reader should come to this collection aware that it is a sampling, a distillation. Some of the teachings are complex; some of the students are not ready; times change, receptiveness matures. Pema wouldn't tell you to "abandon hope," if it were not good for you, so be willing to learn more about that, if it seems at odds with your expectations. Start here, and then use the references to read further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Need to have!, February 10, 2009
Hilary Stewart (El Prado, NM USA) - See all my reviews
Even if you have all of Pema's books, you'll want this little treasure. It's the best of Pema distilled into pure golden nuggets of wisdom. Everyone should have some Pema for their pocket!

5.0 out of 5 stars Floating in the Clouds, January 13, 2009
C. Fox (Cheyenne, Wyoming United States) - See all my reviews
This is one of the best times I can have while reading this small pocket-book. I keep it in my car most of the time; when ever I'm stressed because of heavy traffic, stressful day, . . . . whatever it may be, Pema Chodron brings me back down to earth, with my feet on the cool, refreshing ground, and my mind sinks into blissfulness. Every different one I read, brings me happiness and within my soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it!, January 24, 2013
I have purchased over two dozen copies of this book to give away. Pema saved my life, her wisdom is not only deep, but accessible. Her clear voice comes through in this small and powerful book. She can somehow condense a subject it would take me hours to explain, into a paragraph..... how does one do this? I love Pema, I love this book, because it helped me find a path to self love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pema's Little Book, January 18, 2009
I read a little of this book every night before bed. It think it gets my mind in the right frame for good dreaming! Only problem is that the short exerpts always make me wanting more. It's a handy book with great reminders for daily reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wisdom from a regular person, December 20, 2011
When I bought this little book I knew very little about Pema Chodron but was interested in Buddhism. I find her writing to be natural, simple and inspiring. Recently I listened to a video of her speaking on the Tricycle magazine website and she came across as funny, humble, and honest, just like her book. So if you want something to keep in your glove compartment or purse to take out and consume in small bites as you wait in line at the supermarket or in traffic, this will fit the bill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something encouraging on every page, February 5, 2010
Daniel Will-Harris (Point Reyes, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Lovely little book that really does fit in your pocket.

You can randomly flip to any page and there will be something that will apply to you--in a gentle, clear, kind way.

Chodron writes in such a simple, understandable, plain-English way, and makes you feel like you're not the only one suffering.

Her carefully chosen, beautifully written words offer encouragement when you most need it.

This book makes a thoughtful present--to yourself as well as to others!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant, excellent summary and introduction to Chodron, October 7, 2010
Ravi C. (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Downloaded and read on my iPod in a few hours total. Pleasant introduction to the heart of Pema Chodron's teachings on acceptance, openmindedness, metta, and being with what is. I readily recommend this to anyone working with difficult emotions, depression, and so forth.

There's also a nice excerpt from the Pocket Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche which seems really excellent as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Her words are exactly what I need!, July 12, 2010
Marley Kingston (Montego Bay, Jamaica) - See all my reviews
I have bought a multitude of these books, because I keep giving them away. I read one or two of her lessons daily, and even though I've read them all more than once, I just keep on reading. Gave one to my mom who wanted one after I read a lesson to her over the phone. My mom is 88 and is now reading Pema regularly. I also carry one copy in my purse so that when I'm waiting anywhere, I can just take it out and do some reading. Most lessons are less than one page (and the book is tiny)so they can be read easily, anywhere, any time you have a moment to spare. I was depressed when my cousin told me about Pema, and I must admit that her lessons have helped me more than anything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet and giant inspiration!, December 13, 2013
A delightful small small book that fits in every pocketbook or pocket even. Wonderfully inspirational and oozes peace! Pema does it once again with all the lovely quotes and every area of life is covered...

The Pocket Pema Chodron (Shambhala Pocket Classics)
The Pocket Pema Chodron (Shambhala Pocket Classics) by Pema Chodron (Paperback - December 9, 2008)
$7.95