5.0 out of 5 stars Pocket Xshot
Published on December 27, 2009 by Karen Ann Osborne

Published on December 26, 2011 by Jonathan Lea

1.0 out of 5 stars Good for Pictures, Bad for Action (GoPro) Video (Too Shaky along shaft axis!), December 26, 2011
This review is from: Pocket Xshot XSP1 Extendable Hand Held Monopod (Electronics)
A little background first. The Pocket Xshot is the 3rd retractable monopod I've tried to use with my GoPro HD camera. The first one I used was some cheap "vidpro" and the second being the "quikpod compod". They both had the same issue of the shaft being able to rotate freely around itself. This caused a huge problem when trying to record video while snowboarding, as the weight of the GoPro would often cause the camera to rotate along the shaft (yes I know you can record upside down but I personally do not like to do that).

Enter the Pocket Xshot. I was quite excited to see that the Pocket Xshot has these "Channels" running through the entire length of the telescoping shaft. This prevents the shaft from rotating on axis! However, the unfortunate thing about this, is that there is a bit of play along the that "channel", as well as a bit of play in the plastic head that's mounted in the shaft. Now this bit of play can get quite annoying with videos, as it looks like the camera is being shaken on axis many times a second. This isn't as apparent in 60fps mode, because the image is more smooth, but it is VERY obvious in any 30fps filming modes.

This would be fine for taking pictures, as you would only need one frame for a picture. However, if you plan on using this to record any action video, the bit of play will be too shaky for some.

Note 1: The play in the shaft will increase over time, I've noticed these "channels" have gotten looser over the course of the last year (from vibrating back and forth) and now the play is even more excessive

Note 2: I ordered another new xshot, to compare the amount of free play between a new one and a used one. The new one still has excessive play in the main joint where the plastic pivot head is connected to the metal shaft

Note 3: the small cover on the handle-end had popped off my original one. I needed to put a self-tapping screw into the shaft to hold that cover in place.

Note 4: Seems that the company noticed that small cover popped off on the earlier models, so they are using a different cover on the newer models. Still didn't solve the issue of the shaft having free play =(

Please, if anyone can make a better suggestion on a telescoping monopod, that 1 - does not rotate along the shaft, 2 - no free play in the shaft and/or joints to prevent shaking (by use of locking joints or anything!), 3 - can fit in a pocket when retracted... PLEASE let me know. I've been looking for one for the last 2 years and still have not found a suitable product. The only ones I can find that have the locking shaft are regular sized monopods (minimum of 20") which are not pocket sized!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pocket Xshot, December 27, 2009
Anyone who owns a compact camera should own a Pocket Xshot. The features of the Pocket Xshot are already listed in Amazon's blurb so here are a few things they forgot to mention. First, this thing really works! You don't need a mirror to place yourself in the shot, just look in the lens. My husband, father-in-law, and 12 year old daughter all took well centered photos after one or two attempts.

There are two groves, one on each side, of the telescoping metal of the Pocket Xshot. The groves serve to keep the device stable and prevent your camera from turning upside down as you get ready for your shot. My brother's camera extender did not perform as well.

The Pocket Xshot is so small it fits easily in my purse attached to my camera. It is so light weight anyone can hold the camera upright for as long as it takes to get the perfect shot.

The best thing about the Pocket Xshot is that it keeps unwanted people out of your photos. Stand in front of your chosen background and extend your camera on the Xshot. Pedestrian traffic will naturally flow around you and your camera. The Pocket Xshot eliminates the need to wait forever or ask people to stand back while you get the perfect shot.

Since receiving my Pocket Xshot, I have ordered two more as gifts. You know the people who are never in the picture because they are always taking the picture? There seems to be one in every family. The ones in my family will be losing their excuse very soon. I unreservedly give this product five stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Go easy with it., January 20, 2011
First day I got it I could not wait to put it on my new GoPro...I guess I pulled on it a little too hard because it came apart in the middle.It was hard to get back together but I did.(now I know better)Now it works great. So,...go easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gadget!, March 21, 2011
I bought this mainly to use with my Go Pro HD Hero action cam. This thing was made for that camera!!! I have put other compacts on it with great results. Quite sturdy, fairly well made for something that is roughly $20!! High over crowd shots, hanging over ledge shots, self portraits. Just use your imagination and you will think of a few more. Mine goes everywhere the camera goes. It's small enough to carry anywhere. A couple of friends liked mine so much they are now proud owners. I use it more than you might think. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius Product, May 20, 2011
For anyone who has or is planning to travel alone and take lots of pictures, this is a must have!

First the construction. Based on other reviews and other websites, I expected the sturdiness of this product to be marginal. I also expected it to be feather light. The product has some density to it, because it is made out of VERY sturdy metal. I applied pressure to see how easy it is to bend and was unable to bend it. Even at the narrow end, it is very wisely constructed. Each piece is circular in shape, but has divots which add structural support. The camera mount itself is very nice, it attaches easily without having to fumble with a coin or screwdriver like many tripods. The angle of the camera in relation to the metal arm is also adjusable from 0 degrees to 130 degrees. The lanyard is very nice if you just want it to dangle from your wrist like many people do with their point and shoot camera.

Now the usability. This product does exactly what it is designed to do. It is simple to install the camera on it without using extra tools. When ready, it extends to full length. The until I bought is the 30" unit. I am about 6 feet tall, so this is pretty short, but collapsed it measures less than 6 inches, which makes it functional and discreet. Another use of the product is that it makes a great handle for the camera. If you are like me and occasionally (accidentally) thumb over the flash, use this device in the collapsed position as a handle.

I usually travel alone, so this certainly beats having to ask random strangers for help taking a picture. It also alleviates the risk of handing your camera to someone and having it stolen. It took my two tries to get it to work to my desire, and the majority of the struggle was with my camera!

Even if you don't travel alone, this is great for the person who is always behind the camera and never in the picture. Trust me, this is an essential tool you will never travel without again!

5.0 out of 5 stars XShot Pocket Telescopic Camera Extender model XSP1, August 22, 2011
After reading reviews here I was unclear if this product (XShot Pocket Telescopic Camera Extender model XSP1 ) would work with the Canon, Nikon or Panasonic compact cameras.

Let me clear up some confusion from the comments below the short answer is YES without any issue or additional parts.

Here are a couple cameras I know work with this product.
PowerShot ELPH 300 HS
Nikon Coolpix P300
Panasonic ZS8

That said, this is a great little product for all the self photographers out there.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not For Canon Cameras, August 10, 2011
D. Steinberg (Everett, MA United States) - See all my reviews
I really wanted to like this product. I thought it was a fabulous idea and was looking forward to being in my pictures. Unfortunately, it just doesn't work with Canon cameras. I own three different models and I couldn't get it to work with any of them. Very disappointing.

Easy return though! Amazon let me print a label and my full refund was back in my account in just about a week. Thanks for that Amazon!

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't screw into my camera, May 19, 2011
I was very excited with this item arrived but immediately dissappointed when I tried to screw it into the base of my Canon camera and the bolt wouldn't go in. After several attempts, I went and got my other two tripods and they screwed in without any hassle. I compared the threads on the different tripods and noticed the XShot had a significantly steeper thread pitch than my other tripods. I'm surprised others haven't experienced a similary issue and am saddened I have to return it because otherwise it is a well made product.

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for (maybe less), June 17, 2012
Bought it for my go-pro for snowboarding.
You really get what you pay for or less. Since this is something I will never ever use again, then I did pay too much. Now it's just taking up space in my storage room.

The hinge & tilt mechanism is poorly designed and does not reliably sustain the weight of my gopro camera. The screw mechanism feels like it's gonna break if I tightened it too much.
It really makes me wonder...how would anyone be able to use this to hold a full size digital camera?

The extension rod also feels cheap and I know it will break if I wiped out while boarding.

Would not recommend it for any outdoor related activities. Spend 20-30 bucks more and get a good one. Too bad I haven't found a better one on Amazon yet.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not use industry standard mounting screw, August 13, 2011
As a few other people have stated, this product does not use a standard mounting screw size. Because of this it will not work at all with any of my cameras (I only have Canon cameras, but am surprised that it works with other cameras since the mounting screw size is pretty much universal). I have several other tripods and monopods and all work perfectly with my cameras, but the xshot obviously uses a different thread pitch than normal and thus will not screw into the camera at all. Interestingly enough though is that the bottom hole on the xshot (which you can use to attach the xshot itself to a tripod) seems to use the standard thread pitching as I can attach the xshot itself to my existing tripod with no problem.

This seems to be a great product if I could actually mount a camera to it... because of this significant flaw it is useless to me and will be going back.

UPDATE: I also tried this device with a Sony HX7V camera and the screw is also the wrong size for that camera. I'm not sure what cameras all these other reviewers are able to get working with this device.

Rate and Discover Movies