Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro STEM

on December 13, 1997
A cousin sent this book when my first child was born in 1992. I started reading it to Christopher when he was eight months old, and we read it nearly every night for two years. I gradually came to know each poem by heart, so we could "read" without even looking at the book, just rocking in a chair or driving in the car. The poems are so sweet, so whimsical, so dear, that they stay with me to this day, and I'm ordering several copies to give to friends with young children. Christopher and I still go through them periodically, and I think back on the days that he would fall asleep in my arms to the lyrical words of this book.
on August 22, 2014
This little collection of 38 poems and prayers is just perfect for quiet time before bed. My children grew up with this little book, which, by the way, was sturdy enough to last for years.

One of the beauties of this children's book is that the selections are short enough to memorize and remember for a lifetime.

I like the fact that meal time prayers are included - my kids liked to have a variety of prayers to say grace. What better way for children to practice feeling appreciative than through little poems and prayers that easily come to mind.

I love the gentle illustrations by Martha Alexander. She uses just the right colors to bring light to each page. Her little people are delicate and bright and nice to look at. I've always thought they serve as models of how I should think and act.

I've even seen one of my granddaughters snuggled up on the couch turning through the pages even though not old enough to read.

Any child will look forward to some of the selections, or even the whole book, for their bedtime story. What better way to finish the day than with some uplifting verse or prayer for any of us, young or old!
on November 26, 2012
This is a sweet little book (and I'm literal about the "little" part -- it's a flimsy, thin paperback). I have fond memories of this from my childhood and purchased it for my daughters (I guess I was expecting something a little more substantial). Even though there are only 24 pages and a handful of poems and prayers, I think it is a sweet collection, and one I plan on using for memory work for my children.
on September 9, 1999
I recieved this book when I was three years old from my grandmother (over 25 years ago) and I now give it to any expecting mother I know!
on January 18, 2016
This has quickly become a family favorite. We've read quite a few poetry and nursery rhyme compilations and this one is particularly well-curated. The selections are simple and short enough to hold my two-year-old's interest, but beautiful enough that I don't mind reading the book to her again and again. I think this will be a great resource for poetry memorization. Most of the selections focus on gratitude and observations of God's creations. There also is a significant (7 pages or so) nighttime section. I find the illustrations a bit boring, but my daughter likes the many pictures of small children.

The paperback version is quite flimsy and easily damaged. We purchased a "Very Good" copy, and it showed more signs of wear than the usual "Very Good" book. I would not suggest keeping this book within your toddler's reach. That said, the book is short, so I don't know if I could justify spending a fortune on a hardcover.
on June 11, 2009
This is an adequately-illustrated collection of classic poems and prayers, some of them traditional, others by authors such as Christina Rossetti, Ralph Waldo Emerson, and Robert Browning. It is included in several homeschooling curriculums and may be best used for repeated reading and memorization exercises. Unlike nursery rhymes, these poems are serious rather than funny, and it may take a committed parent to help young children appreciate them. As a basic introduction to classic poetry it is pretty good, but is by no means essential. If a child responds well to A.A. Milne's or Shirley Hughes' poetry, this might be a very nice supplement to their library.
on April 1, 2014
Sweet and touching simple prayers or poems about God. Easy to memorize as well. There is a picture that goes with the first poem of a little girl with red hair and my daughter thinks that it's a picture of her. So sweet.
on February 13, 2015
Martha Alexander was my cousin. I had given this book to all babies that I wanted to give a present. I really didn't think it going out of print even though I guess I should have. The "new" books are expensive and I hate to give a used book as a gift. It looks like that is what I am going to have to do though. I do wish I could buy some of the prayer books new, but I know that is not possible. Mary Beth Alexander Clotfelter
on November 26, 2013
This is a simple and pretty book for a child to listen to and an older child to read. Lovely.
on April 5, 2014
This book includes poems and prayers - some are well known, and some that you may not have read before. All of them send a message of comfort and joy that is easily understood by preschoolers.