5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT
Published on July 9, 2012 by M. Bruner

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but with one major flaw
I've really struggled with how many stars to award this product. On one hand, you get a very nice keyboard/case for an astonishingly low price. On the other hand, it has one major flaw which may be a deal breaker.

On the positive side:
Published 18 months ago by Roobin

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but with one major flaw, December 26, 2012
Roobin (Oakland, CA) - See all my reviews

On the positive side:
1) The case is nicely constructed. Usually when you get a "pleather" item in this price range, you end up with chintzy material and crooked seems. Not so with this iPad case. It is well made and the cutouts line up nicely with the Mini's various buttons and ports, though the camera cutout is off center but usable (on the other hand, it's not very feasible to use the camera with the Mini housed in this type of case). The leather-like material has a very deep pebbled look, more so than it appears in the photos. While this is not a look I prefer, that's just a matter of personal preference, not a defect.
2) Having a removable keyboard is genius, especially since I don't plan on using this as my main case. I will mainly be using the Apple Smart Cover, so it's wonderful that I can simply lift out the keyboard, set in on a table in front of the Mini, and type away. Similarly, I can even use it with my Iphone.
3) I was concerned that the keyboard would be so small that it would hardly be usable. Yes, it does take a bit of getting used to a keyboard that is, by necessity, smaller than standard. But I was delighted to discover that I can actually touch type on it. That said, I have pretty slender (though long) fingers, and someone with larger fingers may have a very different experience. Also, the keys have just the right amount of "travel" and depress easily.....but not so easily that you accidentally type stuff you hadn't intended. The only minor problem I've noticed is that the space bar seems slightly off to the left side, causing me to sometimes mistakenly hit the adjacent key. But I'm sure I'll adjust to this. I've tried every single key and they all work, no duds or ones that stick.
4) Pairing it with my iPad was a snap! It took maybe 45 seconds to accomplish (note that the included instructions are incorrect about where to find the Bluetooth setting in the iPad's menu. Bluetooth is the 3rd item in the main menu....it is NOT under the General menu as the instructions state).
5) In addition to the basic letter and number keys, you also get keys to control screen brightness, launch the photo album, adjust volume, etc.

On the negative side:
1) So here is the major flaw: the cover is supposed to trigger the sleep/wake function, but this does not work properly. As noted in other reviews, the cover doesn't close tightly enough to ensure that your Mini is turned off. Even if it does turn off at first, any handling of the case will allow enough cover movement to wake up the iPad again. So, you really have to use the iPad's sleep/wake button to turn it off.... you can't just count on your Mini being turned off based on the case's cover being shut. I'm thinking that this can be fixed by using some adhesive-backed velcro to ensure a nice, tight closure. But if it doesn't work, the velcro experiment might render the case nonreturnable.
2) I do wish that you could use the apostrophe without having to first press the function key. They should have placed the apostrophe where the semi-colon is, given that the semi-colon is hardly ever used and the apostrophe is used all the time. But I've seen other mini-sized keyboards make the same/similar layout decision, so I'm not surprised.
3) The blue power light only comes on when you first power up the keyboard. It would be nice if it stayed on while you used the keyboard, as a way of reminding you to turn it off when you're done. It would REALLY be nice if there were a battery level indicator, but I hardly think it's realistic to expect that in a $30 item.

Were it not for the sleep/wake cover issue, this would definitely be a 5 star item. Similarly, had they not claimed it supported the sleep/wake function, I would have also given it 5 stars, though I'm not sure I would have purchased it if that were the case (no pun intended). Given the price, however, I admit I might be a bit harsh by only awarding 3 stars. I guess the bottom line is that I expect an item to live up to its claimed specs, regardless of the price.

A note about the warranty: Amazon's product title says this is warrantied for 3 years (wow!!!) by Poetic, but neither the packaging nor any inserts mention a 3 year warranty. The packaging does have a bar code sticker that includes the word "warranty", but clearly the wording has gotten truncated and no number of years is indicated.

UPDATE! UPDATE!
OK, I decided to try fixing the sleep/wake problem by altering the closure strap, as mentioned above. It worked! It was quite simple to do: just snip the threads to remove the strap's fastener, and then apply adhesive-backed velcro to the strap and case. Just be sure to position the the velcro so the case closes firmly and has no "give" or wiggle room. Another bonus of making this modification is that I find it a lot easier to use the velcro strap than the original configuration. I'VE UPLOADED A PHOTO SO YOU CAN SEE HOW I DID THIS (click on the "See Customer Image" link that appears under the photos for this item).

3.0 out of 5 stars Great make and functionality, November 13, 2012
The product arrived quickly.
I am pleased with the function. It does what it says. And the make of the leather case is neat. It's more than what I expected for the money.

#updates
After 2 weeks of using, I lowered the rating from 5 to 3 due to following issues:
1) The 1st key stroke reaction after a certain idle time will be omitted. For example, if there is 1 min idle time, your first (or first few) stroke will have no reaction from ipad. I think it is a power saving mechanism and the keyboard reconnects to ipad after timeout. But the timeout is too short and very annoying.
2) When closing the case the screen closes but reopen immediately (while my other case doesn't have this problem). Obviously something wrong with the proximate sensor designed on the case.
3) The belt on the case is poor designed. It is very hard to keep the case closed using the belt.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT, July 9, 2012
So I saw something exactly like this in the airport high priced store for $199...I almost splurged and got it. But I thought I would check out my dear amazon store first and I instantly ordered it...thinking I could always send it back, right? Well I LOVE IT! I can move the keyboard so that my customers can read my screen while I type. It's leather and my favorite color...RED! Not to mention to great price...order this today!

5.0 out of 5 stars good case!, November 15, 2012
No reviews on this when I ordered so I winged it, but this is a great little case.

Neat feature: Keyboard held in/on by a magnet. Just pull it off to use differently/elsewhere.
Duh factor: Could not close the case w/o the ipad waking up. Turn off the keyboard first. Duh. But, nothing about this in startup guide for us cretans.

Good:
- keyboard works well for, like, typing... A bit small, but so is ip mini.
- makes a nice carry-around package
- bluetooth works great! Once connected, turn off keyboard, and it goes off. Turn on, it blinks, and is connected. Best BT device I've seen for connectivity. Don't have to keep re-connecting at random intervals.
- seems to hold charge for long time.
- function keys work - including a screen-off. Much easier than flailing around trying to push the inconveniently placed on/off switch of the mini.
- holes for camera, charger, etc in right places. (Unlike an android case I got - sigh)

Con (?)
- wish it were a bit lighter. But - lighter than zagg.
- no manual, only a get-started guide.

Best case out there? Don't know. Excellent for the price. Ergo, 5 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars THE CASE CAUSE S-PEN WORK INACCURATE at certain area, November 27, 2013
I would give it a five star but there is a critical problem that I found today.

it causes THE S-PEN WORKS inaccurately in a specific area where it is about 1 inch above the home key (regardless to its current orientation). It bothers me a lot when I taking notes to that very area.

At first I thought it was something wrong this the Device itself. I even argued with Samsung's custom, who would certainly recommend you some louzy suggestion like to reboot or restore to factory ect.. Accidentally, I found it work accurately as long as a remove the case....

Wondering are there any of you can confirm this issue. I thought it is because of magnets, but no. Samsung has confirm these's nothing to do with magnets

Update, I now believe it is because of the magnet right on the back. ( for fold the stand )

Place a magnet under the pad, the s pen would act weird on the spot

1.0 out of 5 stars Good case, lousy keyboard, November 30, 2013
The case is well made, nicely fitting my Samsung Note 10.1 (2013 edition). However, the keyboard is useless.

It goes into sleep mode within seconds of activation, in the middle of typing. Furthermore, it will not 'wake up' quickly, taking minutes after the first keystroke. Lastly, no specifications are included for recharging (ie: what sort of power requirements it takes. [5v 2.1a... 5v 2a... 15v 1a??? What? Without the specs, one can't recharge the keyboard!!!])

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, July 22, 2012
This review is from: Poetic Keybook Bluetooth Keyboard And Leather Book Style Case For Ipad 3 / 2/ 1 Black -Support Auto Wake/Sleep Function (3 Year Manufacturer Warranty From ) (Electronics)
I've owned this case /keyboard for 6 months and love it. It's a great value in comparison to competitors models costing $99.00. I"ve experienced none of the problems stated in the other reviews. Both the case and keyboard are in great shape after 6 months of use.
Nice design and light weight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased, May 11, 2012
UPDATE:
I do have to change from a 4 star to a 5 star after having some issues with my last keyboard. The one mentioned below ended up having even more problems with keys falling off constantly. After a couple weeks certain keys completely stopped working. I contacted the seller and they quickly sent me a full replacement, that even has an updated keyboard to it. The keys are flat and much larger than the previous keyboard and even appear to be much more sturdy. This is a great company to work with and now I have a five star product.

First things first if I was just reviewing the case for this at the price it would get a five star however where this product loses a star is in the keyboard. It's actually a very functional keyboard...does what it's advertised to do, however it is very cheaply made. If I would have paid more it would definitely be a 3 or 2 star product but for the price it fits. Within the first five minutes of using the keyboard I noticed a few things. First the keys are very small and with bigger hands it was difficult at first to type, after a few key strokes though you do get use to it and are typing just as if you were on a full size keyboard. Now secondly, and the main reason this losses a star; while I was typing the W key just popped right off. I swore the thing was broken cause it wouldn't snap back on; after a bit of jimmying it around though it was fine the rest of the day. Later on the space bar started to only work if I pressed it in one spot, but again it seems that once I moved it around and got it to set properly it was perfect. It seems that all the keys maybe weren't set right at the factory, and now that I pushed them all down the keyboard seems pretty sturdy. I will say that the actual short cut keys are awesome. It has a home key that works just like the iPads home button, a copy, cut and paste key, lock the iPad key, volume up and down keys and brightness up and down. All in all for the price it's not a horrible keyboard.

Now onto the case. It's built very well, with great stitching and holds the iPad 2 in it snugly. All the cut outs are in the perfect spot and the iPad doesn't slide around inside of the case at all. Theres even holes on the back for the speaker and seems to make the speaker sound louder from the front of the iPad. The auto lock feature works great. Except for one thing, The magnet on the cover that holds the keyboard in place as well is extremely strong and will shut off the iPad when folded back in the open position, and this has actually driven me more crazy than keys popping off the keyboard. I will say though, for the price, the case alone is well worth it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed that sleep/wake functionality doesn't work, November 19, 2012
Beth (San Francisco, US, Canada) - See all my reviews
For $15 I was thought "WOW" this case + keyboard is amazing. After testing it out, I will be returning it.

Pros:
-Shipping was extremely fast
-Leather quality looks like it's real
-Very easy to pair via Bluetooth
-Keyboard is magnetic and can be removed from the case

Cons:
-Battery drains! It wakes the iPad in the case and won't sleep - every time I check through the cracks I see that the screen is on but won't ever shut off. If you barely touch it, it wakes the iPad.
-Really hard to take the iPad in and out of the case
-Stand gets stuck and will not collapse down

The sleep/wake functionality not working is a definite deal breaker for me. I will be returning this asap.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good/ not perfect/ worth the squeeze, August 6, 2012
The case delivery was quick.
The product itself is one of the better bargains in this iPad market. Apple wants $40 for a thin plastic cover. I literally walked into the Apple Store and people just saw my cover and asked where to buy one. Of course Apple Store didn't have anything like it.
The keyboard works great ( Bluetooth). The case itself.. I wish they have more padding in the corners. I dropped my iPad with this case and it helped protect it but it did hurt the corner still. However, it kept it from shattering in a thousand pieces. The case did it's job. The next thing to get your I pad owners is a Poetic cover mount that can be used on a car iPad mount ( does not exist yet...
Oh yes, I picked the color red because if you spent close to $1000 for your Ipad3, you want to make certain you know where you left it. Red is easy to see anywhere in the room. Don't buy black. You'll loose the damn thing and wind up regretting it. Buy a bag to put this iPad and case in because as I said... It will not protect it 100 percent.

Rate and Discover Movies