5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome case, but...
you can not fold back the cover and hold like a book because the magnet will put it to sleep which really sucks.

Other than that, everything is great, no ports are blocked, opening for speaker and loop for stylus.

Published on July 26, 2012 by Patrick

2.0 out of 5 stars Kind of pointless if it won't close
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:17 Mins
I liked everything about this when I first got it...the leather look...the hand strap on the inside for holding it while open. But then I tried to close it up...the clasp will not stay closed, I have to force it over the top of the tablet, but it just pops back off. 2 stars for it's one flaw defeating it's purpose.
Published 22 months ago by J. Hoglund

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome case, but..., July 26, 2012

Edit: Poetic is aware of the magnet problem and is shipping out a new one for free and I get to keep the original as backup! Awesome case, awesome customer service! 5 STARS!

Edit 2: Just got back from vacation, and tested the new case...unfortunately the new case magnet does nothing...

and the new placement of the stylus loop just gets in the way of the volume buttons...dropped to 3 stars...

I'm going to contact Poetic and hopefully they will send me a new one that works.

Edit 3: Received my third case today and third time is the charm! Everything is fixed! Great product and seriously great service!

2.0 out of 5 stars Kind of pointless if it won't close, January 22, 2013
This review is from: Poetic StrapBack Protective Case for Google Nexus 10 (With Auto Sleep/Wake Function) (3 Year Warranty by Poetic) (Personal Computers)
Length:: 0:17 Mins

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent case, but it has a major flaw (replacement on the way), July 27, 2012
Poetic have always made nice cases, and their quality does not disappoint. The Nexus 7 fits nicely with the case. All the ports have cutouts, including the speaker on the bottom-back. The landscape mode works well, too. You may need to break in the case and its creases a little at first so that the case can stretch to the 45 degree angle without the case pulling it back. Otherwise, it's not that big of a deal. There is also an elastic loop by the power and volume buttons for a stylus. If you don't use one, the loop can get in the way, but you can just tuck it under the tablet.

My main concern, however, is the magnet for the auto-wake and -sleep feature. The magnet does its job, but it does a bit too well. Closing it works perfectly, but if you fold the flap all the way to the back to hold it like a book, then the device will auto-sleep. It will auto-wake again when you flip the flap again. You essentially can't use the portrait mode with the flap flipped all the way to the back, which in turn makes the hand strap useless.

If it wasn't for this defect, I would easily give this case five stars. Everything else is top notch, so I do hope there will be a second revision. Poetic do have wonderful support, so I will update this review, when necessary.

EDIT 1 (07/27/12): Customer service has already replied in under an hour of the review posting. A revision is being shipped as replacement. Great service as always, Poetic! Bumping to four stars. Will keep updating.

EDIT 2 (07/29/12): Customer service confirmed that the replacement will arrive on Friday (08/03) at the very latest. Since I get to keep the original case, I decided to take out the magnet. I filled the empty spot and glued it. It doesn't matter if the spot is hardened by the glue since the strap will be between the magnet spot and the tablet. Just be gentle when you cut into the case. It is possible to damage/poke the leather on the other side. While doing so, I noticed the material quality of the microfiber interior lining. It didn't rip easily with a sharp knife and it definitely flexes with sharp impacts. I'm not about to go drop my tablet to test it, though! Just a friendly info. Bumping my review to five stars for now. I will do another edit on the top when I receive the replacement.

EDIT 2.5 (08/03/12): Replacement has not come yet. I could have mistaken "next Friday" as 08/03 instead of 08/10. We'll see. Meanwhile, I'm happy with my original case after removing the magnet.

EDIT 3 (12/3/13): Sorry all--Forgot about this review. Poetic sent me the replacement, and it has worked flawlessly. Please note that this review is for the 2012 Nexus 7 case.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too tight for comfort, December 26, 2012
My original impression of the product was that it was really nice looking. The faux-leather is nice & the inside lining was very soft.

However, I had great difficulty fitting my Nexus 10 inside the case. I had to apply an uncomfortable amount of pressure to push the Nexus 10 into the case and it was even more difficult to remove.

In addition, once you have the tablet secured into the case in order to flip out the bottom to turn it into a stand/kickstand it is very difficult to pull the bottom half of the device out & then put it back in once you are done.

Lastly, when closing the case there is a hook you have to push over the edge of the tablet to keep the case closed & that was also difficult to secure.

Other than that, I absolutely love the design of this case & the price is really, REALLY good... unfortunately I will not be using the case b/c of the tight fit. It is too tight for comfort & usability in my opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Case Overall, August 4, 2012
I really like the case design overall. Most of the Nexus 7 cases out there are overly bulky. This one wraps nicely around the edge of the case, and fits snugly. It is still a little thicker than I would have like, but I can deal with it.

As many reviewers have stated, there are some issues with the auto sleep/wake magnet. Thanks to the great customer service of Poetic, before my cover arrived, I was notified that I would be receiving an updated version. There were some good things and bad about the new case. I had to modify the magnet positioning myself to get it to work right, and cut out the stylus loop. There seems to be a good warranty on this item, so if it doesn't work right you might be able to request an additional replacement, but I didn't bother, since mine is working great now.

The first cover arrived, and I did notice that the magnet was too powerful as was stated in the email I got from them. I did like the overall design, and everything was very accessible, except half of the speaker was covered. I found that if I pulled the cover far enough when I had it open, it would not put the 7 to sleep, but who wants to force their cover open when they are trying to read or whatever.

When the second one arrived, I did notice some design updates. Some good, and some bad. The first I noticed was the stylus loop. They made it larger, so it should be more durable, and hold a stylus more firmly than the original, but they moved it so it obscures the volume rocker now. The speaker port is now perforations that expose the whole speaker rather than a slot that covered half of it. I didn't notice any sound quality differences, but the smaller holes seem like they would protect it better. Also, on the inside of the flap there is a small black strap that I can only think is used to hold the flap to the case when you have it open. On the original, this was a very thin strap that rode right on the edge of the screen, but didn't block it. On the new one, it is a thicker, sturdier strap, but it blocks about 2mm of the edge of the screen. Maybe that is not what it was intended for, but now I am really confused about its purpose.

The magnet itself was an issue. I could not get it to trigger the magnetic switch on the 7 no matter where I placed it. Finally I decided to just go ahead and pop a few stitches to see what the deal was. I noticed that they fixed the issue of the magnet being too strong by casing it on one side in nickel or something to attenuate one of the polarities. The problem was that the attenuated side was inside of the flap. I flipped the magnet over, and it was working much better. I toyed around a bit to find the best placement, then put a dab of glue to keep it in place. Now that function works perfectly.

I tried to see if I could do something similar with the old case, but the magnet is glued in there pretty good, and I couldn't get it out very easily without risking damage to the materials.

Hopefully they fix some of these design/quality issues for future purchases, since the case itself is pretty darn nice. In the meantime in true Android fashion, if you want it to work better, you can hack it. :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect 10 - awesome product, August 2, 2012
I reviewed and carefully scrutinized every available case for my Google Nexus 7 tablet - and there are about 10 different manufacturers, as you are no doubt aware. I came very close to ordering a different one by rooCase. However, something held me back and told me to wait. At the time I was first searching a couple of weeks ago the Poetic case did not come up in the search list. Now that I have purchased the Poetic case and received it today (a day early), let me tell you why I LOVE this case, and you will too:

1) It is thin. There is only the back and front covers. Both covers are fairly rigid on the inside, so have no fear about a thin cover not offering enough protection - it's plenty. The outside is covered with a substance that is the PU "leather" but it has a finish on it that would fool most people because it looks exactly like leather, and feels very close to leather to the touch.

2) The back hand-strap is something that I only saw on the Poetic case. And you don't want your baby slipping out of your hand while you are running your fingertips all over that nice screen.

3) Like most if not all cases, it can be propped up at an angle. I wanted a case with at least a couple of ridges that could make it relatively stable when sitting on a table. Lots of other cases offered only one angle or else no ridges that could stabilize it at a particular position.

4) The corner "hooks" grip my tablet firmly, so I will never worry about it coming out unless I pry it out on purpose.

This case is a clear winner, and the price could not be better. It is worth more than Amazon is charging for it. I got mine for only $12.95 with free shipping. Order it with confidence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Customer Service + 3rd Times the Charm!, August 6, 2012
I purchase this case because it is slimming (unlike some slip-on cases) plus the smartcover feature. It took a total of 3 tries for the Poetic Hardback to be perfect as advertised and I am happy for the outcome. The case looks professional, durable and slimming!

Here is a recap of what happened:
Received Jul 27 as expected and received an email the same day advising a defective magnet being too strong. As advised, the magnet was to strong but luckily they were nice enough to send a second one to correct the matter WITHOUT having to send back the defective one.

Received Aug 2 but sadly found a slight error in placement of the magnet. The magnet's strength was corrected but the placement was off by a few mm. This resulted in the smartcover working only 50% of the time. I quickly sent another message to Exact-Deal about it and offered to return it back for a corrected one. The rep emailed VERY quickly and apologized for the inconvenience. The rep said they began machine testing them and have already sent it out AND I was able to keep the case as a token of good will.

Received today (Aug 6) and I am very happy :) The case is exactly what was advertised. I got 2 defective cases if I ever need it.

For all those who gave a bad review of the magnet, I would highly suggest contacting Exact-Deal to allow them the chance to correct the problem. I would purchase products from this place because of their customer service and quality :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect., August 2, 2012
I placed my order on 7/24, but I also must have gotten the second batch with the 'fixed' magnet. I think it went from one extreme to the other. I'm having the same problem as one of the previous posters, the magnet doesn't line up and won't put my tablet to sleep or wake it up. I can forcefully push the cover so that the magnets line up and it will put my Nexus 7 to sleep, but then I can't actually close it since the covers clasp doesn't reach the edge of the tablet.

Other than that, I really enjoy the case. The stylus holder can get in the way of the volume buttons but that doesn't bother me much. Everything else is perfect.

Would have 5 stars if the magnet worked properly. Had to knock 2 stars off because half the reason I picked this model was the auto sleep/wake feature.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nexus 7 case has sleep/wake issues, August 16, 2013
I order the Poetic BackStrap case for Nexus 7 2nd gen from Smart Shop Online (on Amazon) on July 29. I received the case on August 15. It has the issue with the magnetic for the sleep/wake magnet being to strong. This causes the tablet to sleep when the cover is folded back and you try to use the backstrap. Until this issue is resolved I can only give a 1 star review.

Update: I was sent a replacement. It has the same problem with sleep when the cover is folded back, perhaps to a lesser degree than the first one. Also the second one is difficult to fold the cover back. I like the design but I still can't give it more than 1 star! Hope they send me another and get the design perfected.

Updat2 2: I was sent a second replacement. It has the same problem. It also has a horrid odor. I emailed Smart Shop and was issued a refund and didn't have to return the defective ones. Thank goodness for no return postage fees. I appreciate the service from Smart Shop, but am disappointed with the Poetic quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for, August 13, 2012
Normally it's very difficult to find fitted cases for Android products, but the success of the Nexus 7 has triggered a sort of gold rush of cases on Amazon. There are a few options but most seem to be variations of the same few designs of some mysterious factory somewhere in the jungles of the Third World, this case included. But that doesn't detract from the quality of the product.

The case is perfectly shaped for the N7 and has a secure fit without being difficult to remove like Amazon's infamous Kindle Touch cover. It's made of soft-touch faux-leather (hopefully actually "faux" and not made from the skin of an obscure mammal) with a suede-ish interior. No velcro or other elements that would eventually wear out- this thing feels like it will last because it is simple.

Unfortunately one downside of the low price is that it exuded a slight acrid odor after coming out of the shipping sleeve, but that disappeared after a couple hours, hopefully only mutating a few of my lung cells. Will update in a few months with news.

The stand functionality actually works very well, which is usually the weakest point of cases like this. I put it to the lower setting and was tapping out GMails quite comfortably. As others have noted, the stylus holder slightly blocks the volume buttons, but can be moved out of the way without issue. If you're whining about that you probably have countless more important first world problems to focus on.

There is a mysterious elastic strap which has no apparent use. It may have been intended to hold the case cover folded backward but doesn't quite work and feels more like an artifact from a previous design. Whatever; for this price I can deal.

The back strap is very comfortable for one-handed reading (the main reason I bought this tablet). The magnetic on-off feature works perfectly and is one of the foremost reasons to get a case aside from the screen protection factor. Overall, this is a very good case for an honest price and with Prime shipping. Highly recommended.