5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful poems you will enjoy
Published 9 months ago by Valerie Caraotta

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't reach full artistic potential
Published 23 months ago by cafereadsdotblogspotdotcom

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful poems you will enjoy, October 4, 2013
Christine Rice reflects in her poetry what she has been doing for some time and will continue to do- discover herself more as she yields her passions and talents. Because I also read her wonderful memoir My Not-So-Ordinary-Life I saw how she drew on many of her life experiences of discovery, youthful remembrances, diet issues & body acceptance, and loneliness to name a few.

As she lives and breathes to write, some of her poems on writing too will relate to those of similar interests:
"Sensing its pull on your fingertips "
"wanting to bare your soul"
"needing to bring pages alive with the touch of ink"

She is a true deep thinker and with it dares us also to come along and dream. Take the courage to dream of excellence that invokes
~protection
~hope
~promising future that will be reality to all

Life has taught Rice that even though she shares her past desire for a career change to a writer, that she will promise to enjoy the moments along the journey. Many of us will be reminded as readers and writers of poetry that it is far more than an intellectual ascent; rather, it is a soul/heart connection of our past and future dreams that pave the way for the expressed word.

As you enjoy these poems you may also be interested in other books Christine Rice has out. In addition to the 4 books presently, she soon will have 2 more to her collection.
A recommended book for all adults.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Feel Like I Met the Poet Through Her Expressive Words, August 1, 2013
This review is from: Poetry for the Heart (Paperback)
After reading Ms. Rice's beautiful poems, I felt like I actually met her. I felt this way because her voice was so expressive in each poem. She allows her readers to tap into her mind and heart; feel her emotions for whatever journey life was taking her through at that time.

You don't have to be a poetry lover to enjoy this poetry book. Just being human is enough; for Ms. Rice's life experiences are similar to everyone else. Therefore, it's likely that her expressive words mirror the thoughts of others going through the same experiences.

Treat yourself to some insightful poetry that will not only entertain you, but also make you reflective of your own life. Highly recommend this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't reach full artistic potential, August 10, 2012
This review is from: Poetry for the Heart (Paperback)
A good poem not only expresses the poet's feelings, but also communicates them to the reader. While the poems in Poetry For The Heart succeed in expressing the author's feelings, they do not effectively communicate those feelings to the reader, due to the passive voice, lack of figurative language and overuse of abstract words. Emotions are told rather than shown, often through abstract language that, without figurative language, is more suited to aphorisms than poetry. There are very few metaphors, similes or descriptive verbs, and virtually no symbolism. Although heartwarming to read, these poems do not meet their full artistic potential and offer little food for thought. Not recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Poetry for the Heart", June 29, 2012
Christine Rice's 'Poetry for the Heart' is a thought provoking collection of poetry. Each poems reflects the author's mindset of different points of her life. She voices many thoughts that cross everyone's mind at some point in their life. I would highly recommend this book and not just to poetry lovers. It has idealisms that everyone can understand and relate to. Take time to sit down and enjoy this book. It may get you thinking about your own life. I know I did!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Work to be Warmly Remembered, May 28, 2012
Poetry for the Heart, by Christine Rice encompasses the journey of one human along life's road. The poems are clear, easy to read, insightful, and expressive. Each work with the collection connects and relates to the traveler within all of us. It is a pleasure to read, and leaves one with the feeling of being an intricate part of the whole that is the humanistic existence.

I would recommend this work to any reader without hesitation. I have no doubt that it will leave them, like myself, feeling a resurgence of inner strength through the reflection of one's own life. Wonderful work.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lacking poetic emotion, October 27, 2013
While the content seemed honest it was not filled with emotion, or written in such a way as to promote emotion in the reader. For the most part the poems seemed to just be making simple statements, not necessarily poetry. A bit more reflection to impart the feelings of the author may help.

Not all tastes are the same so do not allow my review to deter you from trying something new.

This novel was given to me in exchange for an honest review. Please visit me at [...] to view my full review.

2.0 out of 5 stars Really a Small Book of Essays., October 15, 2013
I feel like I have read a teen's diary and not a book of poetry. I see glimmers of possibilities. I think Ms. Rice would benefit from reading major poets and poetry journals to hone her poetic skills.

3.0 out of 5 stars About writing, personal growth: a new poet, October 13, 2013
Jim Bennett (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
As always, do not let my star count override your judgement of content. More on the stars, counting, and my rating challenges later. Here we have some twenty-two poems, mostly narrative, mostly straightforward, from a new and promising writer.

In the opening poem, The Self, "uncertain/ If I would find out who I was" covers an experience most of us must have had at least once. Again in Self-Doubt, we have this: "There are different styles of creativity,/ And they are all acceptable" which echoes one of the most important lessons this writer ever learned, and from a very good teacher.

If you're scrolling for the tiny carps, here they are. Eight of the poems are about writing, potentially of less interest to the general reader. I must note that of these, Dire Need for a Career Change is imho the best, as it captures the ennui of being in the wrong job. If you're looking for plentiful metaphors, you will have to settle for straightforward description for the most part. In this volume Rice writes in a simple style. Let's get back to the good stuff.

The most literary poem, imho, is I Miss It, where you will find this: "Giant pine trees, offering their protection;/ Sapphire lakes, sparkling and wanting your company" and this: "Earthy roads, begging to be traveled;/ Stars in the clear night sky; offering their peace." Here Rice shows control and great promise; you will be drawn into her missed countryside.

There is a sense of resolution in My Inner Child, and nostalgia for both earlier innocence and potential loss of potential. If you're looking for social commentary, you'll find it in Just Trying to be Beautiful. Animal lovers will sympathize with Tangerine (a cat).

My personal favourites include the last two poems. In A Bad Day at Work, you will recognize yourself: "My coworker thinks I'm/ Her assistant." Finally, in Truth or Dare, Rice's simple style takes you back into childhood: "The least damaging choice:/ "Truth," I say."

Back to the star count. My personal guidelines, when doing an `official' KBR review, are as follows: five stars means, roughly equal to best in genre. Rarely given. Four stars means, extremely good. Three stars means, definitely recommendable. I am a tough reviewer. Rice is not (yet) Robert Frost or Emily Dickenson. Nevertheless you will gain enjoyment from this volume. Recommended.

Jim Bennett, Kindle Book Review Team member.

(Note: this reviewer received a free copy of this book for an independent review. He is not associated with the author or Amazon.)

4.0 out of 5 stars A voice to our inner thoughts..., October 11, 2013
I love all types of writing; especially poetry. I began writing poems when I was in grade-school; however, the depths and focus of my writing changed drastically after the death of my father when I was 14. Even with the new "twist" to my personality, I was published a few times and even won a couple of awards for my writing thanks to an overzealous teacher that submitted my ramblings for review.

In writing poetry there are rules/guidelines that one is "supposed" to follow; however, I've never been big on following the rules (big shocker!). The author clearly states that she is writing in modern, free-verse form which I can identify with and appreciate. As a reviewer, I don't tend to "ding" writers for their writing style because as a reader I understand that we all express ourselves differently. I will however note that I would have liked to have more of a "feel" for the author's emotions. That being said, the writings prompted me to reflect upon my own life so the author was successful in reaching me.

If you are looking for a little "me time" with a side of reflection and you enjoy poetry, pick up a copy of Poetry for the Heart by Christine Rice.

Please check out our FULL review by visiting us at Griffin's Honey [...]

Poetry for the Heart
Poetry for the Heart by Christine Rice (Paperback - January 19, 2012)
Out of stock