5.0 out of 5 stars A WORK TO TREASURE
Published on November 5, 2006 by D. Blankenship

2.0 out of 5 stars I love LH and teach African American Theatre but this book ...
I love LH and teach African American Theatre but this book had poems that were not appropriate for our 4 year old. I was excited to get the book, but would suggest any parent reread before reading them to a child.
Published 3 months ago by greatdad

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A WORK TO TREASURE, November 5, 2006
I cannot think of a better way to introduce the poetry of Langston Hughes than this small volume. The selection is excellent and of interest you the young reader. The commentary is quite relevant as are the pictures which accompany it. I find that often now, our young people go all the way through the early grades in school and many of them have never heard of Hughes,much less read his poetry. This was the sort of stuff my generation and the generation before it grew up on and cut our teeth on. I do not feel I am any worse for the wear. I am fearful that we are bringing up an entire generation (rightfully or wrong, although I feel it is the later) of young folks who will have no appreciation to this great art form and will miss a lot. This book helps. This entire series helps, as a matter of fact and I certainly recommend you add this one and the others to your library. Actually, it is rather fun reading these with the young folk and then talking about them. Not only do you get to enjoy the work your self and perhaps bring back some great memories, but you have the opportunity to interact with your child or student. It is actually rather surprising what some of the kids come up with. I read these to my grandchildren and to the kids in my classes at school. For the most part, when I really get to discussing the work with them, they enjoy it. Recommend this one highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, February 19, 2007
I grew up without having read any Langston Hughes. Now in college, I've read some and I'm going to become a teacher. When I teach, I'm going to use this book as a tool for teaching poetry and writing. The pages have beautiful art. It's not just good for academics, I'd buy it for any kid or adult.

4.0 out of 5 stars Harlem's best, July 30, 2007
If you're a Langston Hughes fan, you'll appreciate this book. It's meant for any age, and the illustrations make it even more friendly for children. I am using the book in studying the Harlem Renaissance with my students, and it does a great job. It makes it fun to study one of Harlem's biggest stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift for young man, October 24, 2008
I purchased this book and others, for a youngman age 15years, for his birthday. He requested books from me as a gift, that is books of Langston Hughes, which he knew that from past gifts over the years, I prefer to give books as a gift.

I am sure that he is enjoying these books, I will hear from him again next year I am sure, when the next birthday rolls around, and that will be fine with me, for then I will buy him more books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tool to teach literary concepts!, February 8, 2009
jP (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
My co-teacher and I have used this book to introduce poetry from the Harlem Renaissance. We have also used it to have our high school students (juniors) practice forming literary concepts such as symbolism, exaggeration, irony, analogy, and labeling. There are great images that accompany this book, and it has aided our students (special education through AP/Honors level) in making those connections. As a follow-up activity, we gave our students poetry from the Harlem Renaissance and had them create their own visuals/political cartoons illustrating those literary concepts.

This book would be great a great teaching tool for teachers from middle school through high school, as well as parents who want to introduce some richer African American poetry to their children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for reading aloud, November 30, 2010
When kids are young, they only need tiny bits of poetry to set their own imaginations going. This book is a great introduction to Langston Hughes, one of my favorite American poets. He is uniquely American, and the illustrations in this book are very American -- optimistic, stretching, moving around.

This book includes some rhythmic poems and some Africa poems, and lots of poems about keeping your chin up.

I asked my kids to pick their favorites and re-write them in their own journals. Reading these together is a wonderful way to spend time as a family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two for the Price of One, August 26, 2009
Adrienne (Black Mountain, NC, United States) - See all my reviews
This book is not just for young people--it's a deal for young and old. The poignant poetry is complemented by the emotive artwork. Rossel and Rampersad are scholars of Hughes, and their choice of Benny Andrews as illustrator is brillant. The images, the colors, the ideas, and the sounds intertwine. I bought this for my students, but my friends and I have been enjoying it immensely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Young Readers Book Club of Conyers Review, December 4, 2009
We found his poems to be fascinating, and descriptive. We learned a lot about his history. He expresses himself very well. He believes in what he writes about and our group found the material to be very interesting and challenging.

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetry for Young People: Langston Hughes, January 11, 2013
As soon as this book arrived I couldn't wait to open it, and then read it all marveling in the beautiful language used by the author. As an aspiring poet, I will treasure this collection and refer to its form frequently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tool in 5th grade classroom, March 9, 2013
This review is from: Poetry for Young People: Langston Hughes (Hardcover)
I use this book weekly in my classroom. The poetry is interesting, not too lengthy, yet deep enough to truly prepare student for the rigor of an EOG.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Poetry for Young People: Langston Hughes
Poetry for Young People: Langston Hughes by Arnold Rampersad (Hardcover - January 1, 2013)
$14.95 $9.47