5.0 out of 5 stars Robert Frost (Poetry for Young People).
Published on May 1, 2000 by Shelley Debin

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch Out! This anthology includes "Out! Out!" the poem about cutting one's hand off with a chainsaw!
I love Robert Frost's poems and was eager to share them with my nieces and nephews for Christmas. I just thought they could have done a lot better on selecting child-friendly poems for younger children. When we received these, I did not give them out because it includes the poem "Out, Out!" which is a poem about a boy using a chain saw to do work...here is an...
Published 6 days ago by J. Wincovitch

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Robert Frost (Poetry for Young People)., May 1, 2000
I love Robert Frost's poetry and was looking for a good way to introduce his wonderful words to young children. I have found that way through this beautiful book. I am an assistant principal and can't wait to share this book with my teachers and students. As I read this book, I felt like I was in New England during all four seasons. A must buy for poetry lovers and Robert Frost fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Book - No Gold!, February 8, 2002
Amazon Customer "lynguista" (Wharton, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this one for my daughter who was studying Robert Frost in first grade. The illustrations are lovely, and she treasures the book. The only disappointment was that it doesn't contain the poem "Nothing Gold Can Stay" (one of our favorites). From the cover picture, I'd expected it to contain that one.
Still, I'm glad I bought it for her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome, November 30, 2000
A Kid's Review
I have read this book by Robert Frost end to end. When I first saw this book I had to read it. I read Robert Frost last year in school. This book can be read to any age at any time. I thik some of Robert Frosts pomes can tech kids about life. That is what I think of this Robert Frost book.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Review for school project, February 15, 2006
A Kid's Review
I read Poetry for Young People by Robert Frost. While I do not enjoy poetry, I felt this was a good introduction to his work.

"The Cow in Apple Time" gives the cow some personality by telling how she left the boring old pasture in search of something sweet and perhaps it wasn't a good idea because she ends up with an upset stomach and her milk runs dry.

"A Prayer in the Spring" talks about the end of winter and the beginning of spring. It tells about the dreariness of winter coming alive with the colors of spring and the changes that must take place as time changes.

Another of his poems from the book is "Now Close the Windows" is similar to "A Prayer in the Spring" because it's about change, but it's the change from warmer days to the coming winter.

If I had to pick a favorite from this book, it would have to be "The Last Word of a Bluebird" because it personifies the crow and the bluebird. The crow speaks about the bluebird who is flying south for the winter. The bluebird left a message for a young girls and it shows concern for the girl to take care to stay warm and not get sick. He also says he will be returning in the Spring when the weather turns warm again.

5.0 out of 5 stars CAN'T THINK OF A BETTER BOOK TO INTRODUCE A YOUNG ONE TO FROST, November 2, 2006
This book is quite well done and gives a good representation of Frost's work. It of course in an introduction and the poems chosen hit the nail on the head. The illustrations are great and well fit the poem being addressed. There is a very nice introducion in the form of a simple biography of Frost in the front of the book which is quite useful. The addited comments by the Editor are quite good and thought provoking. I cannot recommened this one high enough.Some of the Poems included are, The Pasture, Rose Pogonias, A Girls Garden, Ghost House, Birches, Mending Wall, The Wood Pile and quite a number of others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Poetry for Young People: Robert Frost, November 3, 2008
This review is from: Poetry for Young People: Robert Frost (Paperback)
Beautifully illustrated. I liked the separation of poems into seasons. I WAS disappointed that "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" was not included!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another "Poetry for Young People" Volume Excels, December 31, 2004
This title is another respectable addition to this artful series of books introducing young people (and others) to the work of beloved poets.

The book opens with a short biography of Frost. I enjoyed it immensely - as a writer I was inspired to see that this Pulitzer Prize winner had to actually leave his home in order to write because at first, no one thought his work was high enough quality to publish.

He gave up his farm to write. He first wrote his poetry at night, when the farm was still until finally - he focused on his main love - words.

The poetry is divided by season, with Henri Sorenson's glorious watercolor illustrations providing the perfect counterpoint and setting to the words of Frost.

Savor this book as a beginners guide - and lover's meditation - on the work of Frost.

4.0 out of 5 stars Attractively illustrated, nice background info, August 22, 2009
This is a nice book to have if you're wanting to introduce your children to poetry, or if you are interested in Robert Frost's poems yourself. There is a 3-page biography at the beginning, and then the poems arranged by season and with accompanying illustrations. Each poem also has a 2 or 3 line explanation, which is sometimes useful and sometimes pointless.

Of the Frost poems I already knew, The Road Not Taken and The Mending Wall were included (of course!), but Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening was not. Thankfully, I already have an illustrated version of that anyway! To be honest, reading through this collection didn't really garner me any new favorites; the three I already knew remain my favorites. But, I do want to introduce my children to poetry, and this book is a good vehicle for that. I'll plan to read through this with my 2 older children (almost 8 and 6) this school year. There is a high likelihood that I will also acquire other books in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Format, Great Illustrations, Great Selection, January 31, 2011
I bought this book to read to my first grader and my Kindergartner. I love the impressionistic illustrations that accompanied the poems. I felt they were a perfect accompaniment to the poetry and didn't overwhelm the text at all. The selections were appropriate for younger listeners and I greatly appreciated the arrangement of the poems by season. I've been reading the winter poems to them this winter and am looking forward to moving toward the spring poems as spring approaches. I'm so glad we have this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetry for Young People, April 24, 2012
Caroline P. Stella (saugus, ma United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Poetry for Young People: Robert Frost (Paperback)
Robert Frost is "Mr. New England." A wonderful book of poetry for the first time listener.
It is so important to introduce all the wonderful literature to our young minds and an early start is extremely important.
Instilling an early love of literature is a much needed element in a child's development.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Poetry for Young People: Robert Frost
Poetry for Young People: Robert Frost by Robert Frost (Paperback - April 1, 2008)
$6.95