‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful! Funny! And filled with Love!, March 28, 2013
This review is from: Pogo Vol. 1 & 2 Box Set (Vol. 1&2) (Walt Kelly's Pogo) (Hardcover)
Pogo, Volumes 1&2, are beautiful books. As I opened my just-arrived volumes, I was expecting just a basic hardbound book of comics. What I found was a pair of books full of love. Let me explain. As a child, I spent my summers on the family ranch, miles from anything, where reading material was pretty limited. There were, however, a small collection of Pogo books, so I read them over and over, every summer. I still have those books, though the bindings are rotting, and they are very special to me. I bought these reprints, thinking this would be a nice way to read Pogo without further damaging those old volumes. I really loved those old books, but I never figured that other people put such value on Pogo comics as I did. Why would they? It was rare that I even come across someone who recognizes Pogo quotes, such as "we have met the enemy and he is US!" or Deck us all with Boston Charlie.

So, when I opened the first volume of this set, I was unprepared for what I saw. Already the slipcover had impressed me. Beautifully done, with no advertising on it, fully covered with gorgeous color panels from Pogo. But the books themselves... Wonderful binding with embossed Walk Kelly art -- those ever present swamp trees -- opened to reveal typical Pogo endpapers, on luscious heavy paper that easily lays flat without any coaxing from the reader. The print is so crisp and perfect, you'd swear it was the original printing, maybe even better than the original. No crowding; three strips to the page, maximum. The pages are 9" tall by 11" wide, a generous format for horizontal comic strips. Everything about the books suggest that the people who got the artwork together, assembled and published them, truly love Pogo themselves. These are books that are made to please the people who made them. We're the lucky beneficiaries of their labor and love.

In some fields of publication, I'd expect books like this to go for $150 for the pair, easily. To get something of this quality for this price is truly a bargain. If you're thinking about buying these books, quit thinking and just do it. You want them or you wouldn't be reading this. You're not EVER going to find anything better than this, or cheaper, so take the plunge and One-Click these wonderful books. When you get them, make some time to put your feet up and enjoy that old Walk Kelly humor, unlike anything else you've encountered in this world. Gosh-a-mickle-pickle-dickle, you know you want to see Strawberry Shortcut (Pogo, in disguise) woo Albert into giving up cigars, Beauregard leading a search party to look for himself, or Albert, Churchy laFemme, and Mouldy Mort (the frog) in the business of stirrin' cakes. Then there's the rather moving story of the search for the lost pup dog, with Albert carrying a sleeping Pogo back home after searching deep into the night, in vain. And plenty more of the great stories of the early Pogo strip. Don't hesitate. Buy this. Give it as gifts. Make sure this sells well, so that we can be sure of seeing the rest of the volumes. I want all of them! Now!

Many thanks to the people who so lovingly brought this collection to us. I could not be more pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pogo, Albert, and the Rest of the Gang - A Million Laughs in One Box!, November 16, 2013
This was a gift for my sweetheart, who loves anything Pogo. The books are nicely hardbound and filled with Walt Kelly's great prose and poetry and clear line drawings from the weekly strip and great color illustrations from the Sunday comics. The slip case is study and has a great cover. A total blast from the past and he LOVED it. A great gift for anyone who loved Pogo or who enjoys intelligent, thought-provoking humor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Came on, this is Pogo!!!, December 26, 2012
Carlos A. Barbaro (Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo Brazil) - See all my reviews
Thanks to Fantagraphics for this gorgeous package. But they surely could publish two editions by year instead of one, so we do not have to wait twelve years to see it completed.

5.0 out of 5 stars At long last! A collected works of the master of satire., May 26, 2013
Set in the Okefenokee Swamp of the southeastern United States, the strip often engages in social and political satire through the adventures of its anthropomorphic funny animal characters.

Pogo combined both sophisticated wit and slapstick physical comedy in a heady mix of allegory, Irish poetry, literary whimsy, puns and wordplay, lushly detailed artwork and broad burlesque humor.

Revisit Albert Agitator, Pogo Possum, the turtle Churchy LaFemme, and Howland Owl, among others. One of my favorites was Sarcophagus MacAbre: a buzzard and the local mortician. "Doom Looms!"

I find myself using some of Kelly's nonstop malapropisms, fractured grammar, "creative" spelling and mangled polysyllables such as "incredibobble" and "hysteriwockle," plus invented words such as the exasperated exclamations "Bazz Fazz!," "Rowrbazzle!" and "Moomph!" Nobody understands.

Or when I get the Christmas spirit and quote Kelly's popular song: Deck us all with Boston Charlie.

Deck us all with Boston Charlie,
Walla Walla, Wash., an' Kalamazoo!
Nora's freezin' on the trolley,
Swaller dollar cauliflower alley-garoo!

Then there is the political commentary with a wildcat named "Simple J. Malarkey," an obvious caricature of Senator Joseph McCarthy; communist leaders Fidel Castro, who appeared as an agitator goat named Fido, and Nikita Khrushchev, who emerged as both an unnamed Russian bear and a pig.

In the early 1970s, Kelly used a collection of characters he called "the Bulldogs" to mock the secrecy and perceived paranoia of the Nixon administration. The Bulldogs included caricatures of J. Edgar Hoover (dressed in an overcoat and fedora, and directing a covert bureau of identical frog operatives), Spiro Agnew (portrayed as an unnamed hyena festooned in ornate military regalia), and John Mitchell (portrayed as a pipe-smoking eaglet wearing hightop sneakers.)[12] Always referred to but never seen was The Chief, who we are led to believe was Nixon himself[citation needed]. (Nixon eventually made his appearance—as a reclusive, teapot-shaped spider named Sam.)

J. Edgar Hoover apparently read more into the strip than was there. According to documents obtained from the FBI under the Freedom of Information Act, Hoover had suspected Kelly of sending some form of coded messages via the nonsense poetry and Southern accents he peppered the strip with. He reportedly went so far as to have government cryptographers attempt to "decipher" the strip.

Walt Kelly wrote for 24 years. Now we have the comic strips being reprinted in 12 volumes. A classic lives on!

To quote Kelly's most famous commentary on human foibles "We have Met the Enemy, and He is Us."

5.0 out of 5 stars Been waiting a long time for a collection like this, August 6, 2013
I have fond memories of reading Pogo as a kid. I didn't understand all the political parts then. Reading them now is a fascinating look at society in the mid century through the eyes of Walt Kelly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, December 27, 2012
A great collection beautifully put together. I wish they would come out with the other ten volumes faster than just one a year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pogo back in town, April 19, 2014
Amazing product, the quality and presentation are fantastic. I read other reviews and found them to be right on target. Nothing negative from this happy Pogo fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful collection, well put together, September 2, 2013
I second the previous review that pointed out for anyone getting this far into the reviews this collection is for them. Pogo is not like most comics strips, you can't sit down in one afternoon and read an entire collection. Each individual strip is to be savored in the manner of exotic wine tasting. The plethora of images and phrases from Pogo have settled into my unconscious and reappear almost daily. Somehow my own dog has become "pup dog" and "Gopher Urguns" continues to bring a smile.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gift to outweigh all gifts., January 17, 2014
Pamela Letterman (Monroe, MI United States) - See all my reviews
OK, I have not read these books because I gave the set to my husband, Lloyd, for Christmas. He reported to me that the Introduction itself was worth the price of admission. He has been a Pogo fan since reading Pogo during his childhood, after he came to the USA. I get to listen to his commentary, however. And, I hear his thanks, over and over, for this gift. I really had no idea how important it was to him.
The only part I can give testimony to is the quality of the publication itself and how well bound it is. The holder is perfect protection for the books. They are heavy tomes—which is the only unfortunate aspect of our experience so far. You cannot read them in bed, perched on your chest, for instance. A chuckle or a belly laugh would cause grievous body and/or book harm. Pogo in funny and weighty, in more ways than one. A worthy buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars I go you go we all go for POGO, July 25, 2013
Sandra Ellis "lucky" (Stockbridge, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
Love this collection. Didn't think I'd ever find one. Now I am planning on doing some research about the events of the day when the strips were written. I read them as a child and missed some of the 'politics' embedded in the strip. I love all the characters and always was proud that the swamp was in my state of GA.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Pogo Vol. 1 & 2 Box Set (Vol. 1&2)  (Walt Kelly's Pogo)
Pogo Vol. 1 & 2 Box Set (Vol. 1&2) (Walt Kelly's Pogo) by Walt Kelly (Hardcover - December 14, 2012)
$69.99 $46.75