Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 12x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom with 2.7-Inch LCD (Black)
Used & New from: $90.00
Point and shoot Looking for a new camera and very frustrated. I want a point and shoot that is simple to use. That can be effective indoors and high zoom and with a crazy 3 year old. I bought the Nikon P100 and am really frustrated with the performance, nearly half, if not more, pictures of my son were blurry. I have messed with the manual mode but find that it limits the zoom and flash. I am taking it back to try something else. I was looking at the Panasonic ZS5. Any other suggestions?
asked by Tonya on December 27, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 answers
A
I just returned a Panasonic ZS5. The zoom was nice and outside pictures ok but indoors were just bad. I took repeated photos within seconds of each other with same settings same lighting etc. and one would be ok and the next had a strong red tone to it. I tried differet settings and it was the same, the photos were not consistant and half or more were bad. Also the camea has a red flash first then the regular flash went off and then about a 1/2 second or more after that the flash went off again and the camera would then take the picture. as a result the photos were blurred as everyone thought the picture was taken at the first flash. The shutter speed wth the flash is slow adding to blurred photos. On top of that the led display started getting vertical lines in it after only 10 - 15 minutes of use. Granted the camera is likely defective but some of the issues I have seen in other reviews. I used my ten year old Kodak Easyshare for christmas photos and as usual no problems. Good Luck
Richard answered on December 27, 2010
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
There are several factors involved when trying to capture "sharp" photos, especially when the subject is moving. Point and shoot cameras are not efficient at this because of how they function. You will not be able to shoot a burst sequence of photos with a point and shoot without some photos turning out blurry. This is mainly due to the autofocus system which is different that the focus system used in DSLR cameras. Another factor to remember is that to properly expose an image you need adequate light; and if you need to use a faster shutter speed to freeze a quick moving subject then you will need more light. Strong daylight is usually sufficient, however, average interior lighting is not; even when supplemented with the built in flash. Freezing moving subjects is one of the more difficult things to do in photography in general and unless the conditions are right, you will never achieve the desired results.

The P100 Tonya had and the ZS5 Richard once had are both excellent cameras. My wife has a ZS5 which I chose specifically because it has a relatively long zoom lens, is fairly compact and the kicker is that it has full manual exposure control. The P100 has an excellent feature set as well for the type of camera that it is.

The basic formula for freezing moving subjects is:

- High shutter speed
- Adequate light plus supplemental light if necessary
- Higher ISO setting, typically 800 or higher
- Track your subject accurately in the viewfinder.

If you can pull it off you will end up with some good shots. Unfortnately the contrast detection focus system in compact cameras is not fast enough to refocus when the subject moves which reduces sharpness of the photos.
Benjamin Kozera answered on December 27, 2010
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product