5.0 out of 5 stars Don't let the fact that this game is a remake fool you.
I'm going to start right out with it. BUY THIS GAME! This game is amazing on many fronts which is why it deserves a buy if you have a DS (maybe even buy a DS to play this game).

Gameplay: 10/10

Published on March 14, 2010 by Pramod Agrawal

2.0 out of 5 stars good game but over priced on amazon
this game is fun to play but their is one problem. That's of the prices is see for the game even used are too high.
Published 13 months ago by paul 29

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't let the fact that this game is a remake fool you., March 14, 2010

Gameplay: 10/10

The gameplay is as fresh as ever. The formula that GameFreak put down so many years ago still works. If you have already played any of the previous Pokemon games, there are basically no changes, other than the fact of the addition of a few minigames and a pokemon can walk behind you. For newcomers, here's how the Pokemon formula works: You start an adventure with a starter pokemon, and then train to become the best pokemon trainer in the world. You do this by defeating other trainers who roam the land while also catching some extra pokemon of your own. The formula is straight up addictive and the plot is also well done.

Graphics: 8/10

It's pokemon on the DS. The game uses the same graphics engine as Diamond, Pearl and Platinum and yes, the graphics aren't top notch. I have definitely seen better on the DS (Mario Kart being a great example), but once again, the entire point of Pokemon is the gameplay and the replay value, not the graphics. As a plus however, many trainers have new animations and some gyms just look really, REALLY good. The atmosphere outside of special events could've used some work though.

Sound: 7/10

I will admit it, I am getting a bit disappointed with GameFreak recycling their 8-bit recorded cries for the Pokemon on every single game. These cries are the same we had 10 years ago. On the other hand, the overall soundtrack is really good, and I have also heard there is a way to get the original soundtrack back in the game by achieving a certain item. In general, the sound is ok, but I think GameFreak needs to do a little overhaul with the Pokemon cries.

Replay Value: 15/10

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? 16 BADGES! 3 TOTAL STARTERS YOU CAN GET! Straight up epic. I, in my own right, already thought that all the other games that only had 8 badges and one region were long enough, but WOW. This game is amazing (I already had the Japanese version, and have played to the second Elite Four, and it's taken me a good 40 hours already) in this criteria for sure.

Final Verdict:

If you have a DS, BUY THIS GAME. If you don't, BUY A DS, and then BUY THIS GAME. Amazing characters, amazing battles, amazing starter pokemon (who doesn't love them a nice Typhlosion?), and great replay value. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing updated version of a beloved classic, March 15, 2010
g-man117 (Washington State, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pokemon HeartGold Version (Video Game)
I, like many other players of this game, played the original Gold vesion for the Game Boy Color, and I loved it. I remember nights hiding under my covers with the game holding a booklight to see (or, when it came out, the GBA SP with the lighted screen)

When I heard about this remake, I was very excited, especially after seeing some of the new features upcoming. I had already played Platinum, so the DS graphics were nothing new to me.

Very excitedly, I got myself this game yesterday (Release day) and hurried home to play it. I was quite surprised to find that, not only was it more up-to-date than Gold, but in some ways, it was even more up-to-date than Platinum, especially through the utilization of the touch screen.

WHAT I LIKE:
*Return to Johto- Very simply, you retuern to the setting of Gold and play the game again with new features (Hence the term remake)
*Partner Pokemon- In HG, you have the first Pokemon in your party following you at all times, like Pikachu in Yellow or Amnity Square in D P Pt. Not a huge thing, but I like it
*Updated graphics- seeing the Johto region in full, brilliant color is somehow nostalgic and a lot of fun. It's just pretty, plain and simple
*Added Safari Zone- Many were upset at the loss of the Safari Zone in Gold. Well now, there's a Safari Game again. I have yet to reach it, but I have heard good things about it.
*Utilized touch screen- This is a big one. In HG, the touch screen now serves as a touchable, interactive menu. Now, instead of hitting START every time you want to check something, you can just tap it with the stylus and use all of its features totally through the touch screen. The touch screen also has a drag-and-drop functionality in the PC boxes, allowing you to sort your boxes and your team more efficiently. This is even an upgrade over Platinum's Poketch.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
*Pokewalker issues- I like the Pokewalker idea a lot, don't get me wrong. Problem is, the one I got doesn't seem to work right. Not a big deal, since it's not a pivotal part of the game. Would have been nice though... oh well.

OVERALL:
I have had nothing but fun with this game. Definately worth $[...], without a doubt. The strange feelings of nostalgia and novelty together is odd, but I like it! 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ten years ago..., March 14, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Okay, so I've been playing Pokemon games since the original Red and Blue here in the US. The Gold/Silver/Crystal trio were, and still are, my favorite of the series (Crystal obviously being the best, since it was for the Game Boy Color and it had a load more stuff in it). These remakes are very much a welcome thing, as they've used the engine from Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, and the experience has been brought up to date. All sorts of new things to do, having any Pokemon of your choice follow you around is pretty neat, though not a selling point, loads of extras (you can catch most Pokemon in the series in these two remakes, as a way to try to phase out the GBA games/slot on the DS Lite and move on to the DSi and DSi XL), and the fact that this game has much more length than the average Pokemon game (you go to the Johto region for the 8 badges there, then you head to Kanto for the 8 badges there, 16 total), this is a very nice package deal. The Pokewalker, while, again, not a selling point, is a really neat addition as well. Catching Pokemon on the run, walking and gaining EXP for the Pokemon of your choice is a really cool addition. I go on almost daily walks with my dog, so the Pokewalker is a really cool addition for me personally, cause now I can take my Pokemon with me and level up while I walk. All of the additions (Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, three sets of starter pokemon obtainable in one game, Pokeathalon, Global Trade, etc.) make for a lengthy quest, and the ammount of time you can spend playing these games if you truly know the ins and outs of leveling, EV training, natures and whatnot, you can truly have a game that you can and will play for years. If you're not a fan of Pokemon, or have never picked up one of the games, this is a perfect game to get you going. Lots of fun, amazing ammount of time to spend doing all the things there are to do. And, if you have what it takes to get all of the 493 (staggering, isn't it? I remember how stoked I was when I finally got all 151 on the original Red) Pokemon, you truly... have more patience than me. None the less, it's a lot of fun, being able to trade and battle just add more, and the new Pokewalker all add up to a very great deal for your money. It's been ten years since Gold and Silver hit the shelves, and this is an amazing reawakening for those games.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pokewalker is a pretty cool accessory, March 20, 2010
This review is from: Pokemon HeartGold Version (Video Game)
There are plenty of reviews of the game here and not so many about the pokewalker itself.

The pokewalker is basically a pokemon mini-game but pretty high tech. It represents the core of the DS gameplay even in its limited way but enough so to be fun.

When you transfer a pokemon into the walker, the actual picture of the pokemon you transferred shows up on the little screen. Given that you can migrate pokemon across all the games one way or another, I suspect it supports every pokemon in any game.

By walking around (or by holding it in your hand and pretending to walk ;->) you gain 'watts', 1 for every 20 steps. You then spend the watts on 2 mini-games. Pokeradar allows you to find and battle / capture a wild pokemon on the walker itself. Dowsing gives you a chance to find items. Additionally, there are different 'paths' that you can select to walk down and more paths open up as you generate more watts. I'll also note that I happened to catch a pokemon in the walker that wasn't in the first 'region' in the game and I thought that was pretty cool too.

In the pokebattles, level doesn't seem to matter which is a nice simplification. And apparently, you can pokebattle across walkers as well.

On the whole, the pokewalker is a very nice addition to the game and is worth using as a trivial way to add to your game experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart of Gold, March 15, 2010
This review is from: Pokemon HeartGold Version (Video Game)
I have very fond memories of Pokemon Gold and I am loving this remake. The slow introduction of Johto pokemon alongside the original 151 is great. I will be recommending this to anyone who enjoys the pokemon franchise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Double Nostalgia, March 14, 2010
This review is from: Pokemon HeartGold Version (Video Game)
This game contains not only the awesome Pokewalker, but also a double portion of Pokemon nostalgia. Not only is it a remake of Pokemon Gold, a game I very fondly purchased over 10 years ago, but also Pokemon HeartGold resembles Pokemon Yellow in letting your starter follow you. Yellow was my first ever game for my GameBoy, I was the envy of my friends who all had either Red or Blue, which featured a distracting red or blue hue. Pokemon has evolved a lot since those days, adding many new features, most of which were welcomed. Although many features have been added, the battle system has not changed much. Some do not like this, saying it needs to evolve. I for one, being a huge fan of turn based RPGs, like how it hasn't changed. I wish more RPGs today stayed true to their roots. I'm looking at you, Final Fantasy. Now why pick Gold? Well actually I got both, along with both figurines. I did play Gold as a kid, so that's the one I decided to play first.

I am already in 70 hours in Platinum, which doesn't even have all 16 badges like HG/SS. I expect a lot of time will be spent during the course of playing HG. The re playability of Pokemon is astounding, you can't go wrong. Now only if they would remake Crystal. SpiritCrystal?

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Revision, March 14, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Pokemon HeartGold Version (Video Game)
This game is an enhanced remake of the classic Gameboy Color game, Pokemon Gold. I heard about this game not that long ago, and decided to take a look at it. I am currently 22 years old (probably a little too old for this game) and hearing that this game was a port of the original Pokemon Gold, I decided to buy it. I was a big fan of Pokemon Gold back in the day. As far as I can see, there are many things that reminded me of the old game, but they added alot more new stuff so it almost seems like for those of us that played the original, it's the same game with things we wanted to begin with! The graphics have been updated as well as the music. I don't quite understand the Pokemon walker unit that comes with the game, and I prolly won't use it because I'm playing the game for nostalgia purposes only.

Sometimes game remakes are horrible, but I can definitely say that this game will not let those, who played the original, down. I'm glad they decided to bring this game back, for classic gamers and new generation gamers. I'm sure more 20 year-olds will purchase the game. You won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars JHOTO IS A GO-GO!, May 24, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Being brought up in a Pokemon setting in my childhood has made me miss the old days of Pokemon.

# only 251 pokemon discovered at the time.
# an all new land to explore!
# a chance to revisit Kanto and battle the greatest Pokemon Trainers the world has seen!
# 2 new types added to the mix and 100's on new moves!
# befriending a Pokemon as a partner for life, and facing many challenges on your way to victory!
# capturing and raising new friends to help you along the way!

...Well get your DS's ready, kids!

For it's time to NOSTALGIA!!!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Put simply, Pokemon SoulSilver is a GODSEND to all pokemaniacs EVERYWHERE!
It starts out as everybody remembers...

You wake to your clean and neat room.
You remember that Prof. Elm wanted your help with something today.
Right as you exit your room, Mom intercepts you to hand you you BAG, POKEGEAR, and other things.
You wave to her on your way out and...

The rest is your own destiny!

But, everything is noticeably revamped for the Nintendo DS
EVERY Pokemon(up til DP&PT mind you.) has a place in the National Dex, along with a Jhoto Dex that has a few suprises in it whilst you're completing it.
There are events scattered throughout Kanto and Jhoto! (Pokemon appearing, new items, new places, ect)
The Pokemon at the top of your party walks with you, no matter how big it is!(although you return bigger Pokemon to their Pokeball when in a building, for obvious reasons)
Double Battles are popular here, too!
A new Pokeathelon type of mini-game makes an appearance in Jhoto.
(big one here folks!)Trading across DP&PT AND the Kanto Safari Zone is now a Pal Park, accessible WITHOUT THE NATIONAL DEX!(Actually you get the National Dex after you beat the Elite 4 so... yay~)
The Pokewalker(AKA Pokemon mini's little brother!)accessory that let's you "walk" with your Pokemon IRL!(I.n R.eal L.ife BTW)
All the nostalgiaiy goodness that we knew when we where kids!

Overall...

THIS GAME WAS, and now WILL BE THE GREATEST STORY ARC IN POKEMON HISTORY!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
tl;dr THIS GAME KICKS ASS, GO BUY IT NOW, END DISCUSSION!
9001/5

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY!, March 16, 2010
This review is from: Pokemon HeartGold Version (Video Game)
This game is awesome. It's kinda funny cause me and my sister were both disappointed when we figured out that the DS couldn't play the older Gameboy games. We were going to start the original Gold and Silver version because that was are favorite Pokemon game yet. But then, only a few months later, Nintendo made a new Pokemon game, and of all the remakes they could have made, the made a remake of Gold and Silver. We were VERY excited. Actually, I am very happy that they didn't change anything from the original. If you agree with me about Gold and Silver being the best Pokemon game, then your should buy Heart Gold and Soul Silver, cause they are just as good and even better.

2.0 out of 5 stars good game but over priced on amazon, June 2, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
this game sold at a store is $40. check out multiple online stores first. Try any retail online store or go to a real store. Just checking at Toysrus website is $39.99, don't buy it for $70 new or $42.50 used. I hope that this will help people not getting overpriced.

Pokemon HeartGold Version
Pokemon HeartGold Version by Nintendo (Nintendo DS)
$124.95