I like other Pokemon fans saw this movie on Cartoon Network. I liked it a lot, but like the Keldeo movie it was too short, but that's likely because in Japan it was accompanied with the Pikachu/Eeveelution short we Americans won't see for a while.

Published 8 months ago by Tommy

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Animation, No Story
Published 5 months ago by E. David Swan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Movie, But I Have Something To Address To The Old Fans Who Are Giving It Low Ratings, November 5, 2013
This review is from: Pokemon the Movie: Genesect & Legend Awakened (DVD)

But I am posting this to send a message to the people giving it low ratings. The Mewtwo in this movie is not the same one from the first movie/Mewtwo Returns. Unlike the games there can be more than 1 of a Legendary Pokemon in the Anime Canon. Did the fans complain like this when the Lucario movie was released and the Mew in it was different? I don't think it was, so to the old fans calm down, and watch it again now that you know this Mewtwo is not the original one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Animation, No Story, February 19, 2014
E. David Swan (South Euclid, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Pokemon the Movie: Genesect & Legend Awakened (DVD)
They say if it ain’t broken don’t fix it. Genesect and the Legend Awakened was the 10th highest grossing film in Japan in 2013 and the Pokémon movies generally tend to do very well in their home country. Unfortunately the formula is getting really stale. What I won’t say is that it’s a bad looking film. The design and animation are often stunning but Pokémon just doesn’t seem to be able to produce a story worthy of the visuals. The story can be summed up very simply. Five genetically created Genesect escape and decide to set up residence in the power plant of New York City (I thought Pokémon always used fictional cities). The Genesect attack dozens of non-legendary Pokémon in Central Park (Pokémon Hills) until MewTwo arrives to defend the other Pokémon and an all out Pokémon on Pokémon battle ensues. The damage done by the Genesect threatens to blow up the power plant so Ash and friends show up to save the day and thanks to the power of friendship everything turns out well. If anyone considers this a spoiler they haven’t seen another Pokémon movie because this is literally the end of every movie.

If someone had this playing in the background and isn’t really paying attention it probably looks like a decent movie. It certainly looks good but there really is almost no story. It’s just endless scenes of Pokémon unleashing blasts from their mouths or kicking up sandstorms or releasing balls of energy. Team Rocket appears but as always have no impact on the story and are completely superfluous. Even Ash and friends do almost nothing except gawk at the battling and Ash, as always, tries to talk everyone into being friends. In this case it’s not even Ash who saves the day and events would likely have preceded exactly the same even if he hadn’t put in an appearance. Most of the voice actors are from the television show but there are some unfortunate additions. Mewtwo being voiced by a female doesn’t bother me but the voice actress is terrible and gives no gravitas to arguably the most powerful of all Pokémon. One of the Genesect befriends Ash and has the most irritating baby voice, constantly whining about ‘going home’.

I had been giving the Pokémon movies better and better ratings but with the last three movies it seems like the writers have completely run out of ideas. The whole story could be written on a napkin. An argument could be made that the movie is made for kids but there are many kids movies that also appeal to adults and have some actual substance. Just look at the movies of Hayao Miyazaki. I’m not complaining because I dislike Pokémon, quite the opposite. I’d like to see the series continue indefinitely but if they want to expand the audience beyond Japanese and children below the age of 10 they’re really going to need to add a story to the beautiful animation. I gave Kyurem vs. the Sword of Justice three stars because the story was so shallow but this one is even worse and doesn’t have the benefit of the awesome Kyurem. I’ll give this one three stars also but only on the strength of the animation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome Movie, November 2, 2013
This review is from: Pokemon the Movie: Genesect & Legend Awakened (DVD)
As a person who's been a Pokemon Anime fan since the beginning I have to say this movie does not dissapoint. For the people who have been saying that they dont understand why Mewtwo sounds different or any other thing shouldnt hate it for that. If your a Pokemon fan this is a great movie to own. If it seems a little confusing just do a little bit of research and everything will make sense. I highly recommend this movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pokemon, January 27, 2014
This review is from: Pokemon the Movie: Genesect & Legend Awakened (DVD)
I just love collecting Pokemon movies. I will say that this movie is better than some of the more recent Pokemon movies I have obtained. I enjoy all these movies.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pokemon Movie shadows it's predecessor, January 12, 2014
This review is from: Pokemon the Movie: Genesect & Legend Awakened (DVD)
I watched the movie, thought it was fairly good, didn't disappoint, however I felt it was a tad short for a movie, I do hope they make more movies, or at least have Mewtwo involved in the anime, it's like he doesn't even exist (or she).

I chose this rating cause I feel it has room for some improvement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, January 8, 2014
This review is from: Pokemon the Movie: Genesect & Legend Awakened (DVD)
My kid loved it. She is a Pokémon fun! It was a hard one to find!
Good quality. Great teaching as always in Pokémon movies.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Pokemon movie., January 5, 2014
This review is from: Pokemon the Movie: Genesect & Legend Awakened (DVD)
I liked the movie a lot.

To the people giving it low ratings and complaining. Please re-watch the first movie. It says no where that Team Rocket was the *first* to clone mew into Mewtwo. They just say Mewtwo was the first to not die.

So who knows who was really the *first* one to clone the *first* Mewtwo.

5.0 out of 5 stars long await, January 3, 2014
This review is from: Pokemon the Movie: Genesect & Legend Awakened (DVD)
Nicky was looking forward to this DVD for a very long time, it was a little delayed in arriving but well worth it! Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars great gift, January 2, 2014
This review is from: Pokemon the Movie: Genesect & Legend Awakened (DVD)
thisgift this is a perfect gift for any Pokemon collector. it shipped quickly and the quality is good. I would recommend this to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why I like Pokemon The Movie: Genesect & Legend Awakened, December 30, 2013
This review is from: Pokemon the Movie: Genesect & Legend Awakened (DVD)
This is the 16th Pokemon movie, and the final in the "Black & White" series. Like all Pokemon movies, this one is one of the best movies, ever. Mewtwo's appearance in the film is what the audience (that would be you and me, and others) wanted to see. Great film to see!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›