Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Polar Express (Widescreen Edition)
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 202 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on November 3, 2008
This is a great holiday film. I saw the original 3D at the IMAX theater and it was stunning to say the least. I did have my hopes high for this Blu-ray release. After all, Blu-ray is high quality and with an HD TV, it has to be good, correct? Well, the quality is not nearly as good as the IMAX showing. It's not perfectly aligned while watching it. The color is somewhat subtle because of the Red/Cyan glasses and how it is viewed. If you do buy this 3D copy, the disc also has the regular 2D film on it. I wasn't impressed at all, but with all of that said, I do feel people will still enjoy it. It does show some depth, but if you loved IMAX, don't expect the same effect here.
VINE VOICEon May 9, 2015
My family loves this movie so I figured we would add it to our 3D DVD collection. We have a TV with active 3D technology and I assumed it would be like all of the other 3D movies we own. It is not that type of 3D movie. It is the kind that comes with the blue and red paper 3D glasses. If you have a 3D home theater you know there is a significant quality difference. Needless to say, the kids were disappointed. If you want a 3D movie for an actual 3D home theater, this is not it. If you are just looking for a DVD that uses those paper 3D glasses you will be fine.
on November 19, 2014
Sorry, but this movie is CREEPY. We bought for our kids (3 and 5) as we are taking them on the Polar Express train ride and wanted them to learn the story. The eyes of the cartoon characters are this odd glassy color, and EVERY adult in this movie (almost including Santa) are loud talking, somewhat menacing, and almost scary. I literally had to explain to the kids that these scary train workers will not be working on our train ride. It is very suspenseful and the kids are definitely entranced by it but freaked out at the same time.
on February 8, 2016
3D review only..after watching and owning hundreds of 3D movies I was excited to watch this classic in 3D ..there were some great 3D out of screen effects and depth in this movie ..the frozen lake scene is super .but the reason I'm giving this movie a 3 star rating and it not making my top 20 list is because I noticed a considerable amount of ghosting especially in the background. .this is an older 3D movie and the 3D technology is alot better now then it was 12 years ago..my equipment is a profesionally calibrated samsung 80 inch suhd 4k 3D led tv with Active glasses from 9 feet away..dead center of screen with a 4k up converting blu-ray player and paradigm surround system with 12 inch paradigm sub..if it wasn't for the ghosting it would have been a top 10 movie in my 3D collection for sure..
on October 29, 2008
I just bought this thinking that my kids would love watching the trains in 3D as they're all train fanatics. Unfortunately, the movie just doesn't pull off 3D well in the transfer. It's a host of double images, poor color saturation, and a whole bunch of other bad things that make the movie difficult to watch. The best 3D you'll get is on the DVD box-art and I mean that.

I did not own a copy of the movie until this purchase, so I lucked out and the studio didn't double-dip on me. The good news is that you do get two copies of the movie in the package: one 3D version (that requires red-blue glasses, 4 are included in the package) and a wide-screen non-3D version.

Movie is fantastic, although a bit creepy at times, but the Christmas-y-ness comes through wonderfully. I would've rated lower due to the terrible 3D execution(or total lack there-of), but my kids did enjoy the movie (without the 3D)....so that saved it from a 1 star (or even lower if I could!).
on January 21, 2015
I bought this thinking I could watch this on my 3D tv but I couldn't. It came with 4 pairs of paper 3D glasses. We couldn't stand to look through the glasses. The picture looked to blurry. This is an excellent movie for children. My son already had this movie in standard view. He loved it so much that I wanted to get him a 3D copy. I basically threw away my money.
on November 17, 2014
I'm not a huge fan of this movie, though my students seemed to enjoy it. I don't like how the storyline is different from the storyline in the book, including the little boy who complains about everything, and the man that is on top of the train at one point. The book is great. The movie, not so much.
on April 28, 2014
I bought this when I realized I didn't have any Holiday DVD's in my collection. I do plan on picking up some more as well. As for a holiday movie is it is nice and sweet. There might be a message in it but I didn't really see it. But for something to put in the DVD player to entertain the kids during the holidays, it does fit the bill.
on December 18, 2014
The overall idea of the film is terrific. However, the characters, to me, lacked spirit and passion. Somewhat robotic and zombiish, kind of like being on an overdose of ritalin they failed to make the magical trip to the northpole believable and thus failed to promote the believe in Santa and the magical spirit of Christmas. The train and its totally superficial journey was more believable than the characters! Although a worthwhile spectacle to see, it is not a movie which I can't wait to see again such as "A Christmas Story" or "Christmas Vacation".
on September 25, 2015
So we had never seen this before when we decided to watch it with our little girl. She loves trains so seemed like a win/win. We may have accidentally ruined her love of trains. The movie was too scary for her. She asked us to turn it off during several parts, which we ended up just distracting her for thinking they wouldn't last long. The train ride is very adventurous and maybe a little bit too much for some young kids, but you know your kid best.