5.0 out of 5 stars Can't be beat for the price

3.0 out of 5 stars Monitor is good, but not great
Published 8 months ago by loggerhead

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't be beat for the price, January 7, 2013
This review is from: Polar FT7F Black/Gold Heart Rate Monitor (Sports)
I have had this monitor now for about 3 months. I've so far gotten about 380 hours of use out of it (not all during conventional exercise) and still have not needed to change the battery. However, I am careful to always remember to disconnect the transmitter from the chest strap since while it is connected it will continue to try to send the signal to the watch rather or not there is a signal to send.

On to programming. The set up for entering your stats was simple and fast. Instructions (if needed) were easy to understand and follow even for the most tech challenged. You are asked to enter various personal preferences ( language, metric or standard measurements and time and date) along with your gender, height, weight and birthday as well as given an option to enter in a max heart rate. This will cause the watch to flash and give a warning beep every 20 or so seconds once reached (You can turn off the beeps if you like).

When connecting the unit to you, it is advisable to wet both the silver cloth on the inside of the strap as well at the 2 metal snaps on the outside where the transmitter connects. This allows for max conductivity. Failure to do so will often (but not always) result in a message on the watch reading check transmitter. This will also sometimes occur even when properly wet, simply adjust the strap, as it is likely not placed correctly and try again. Keeping it well maintained also helps. This means rinsing well after every use. I find that it is easiest to clean in the shower since that is where I go right after my workout. I rinse the strap every time, and hand wash it will bar soap every other use (careful to not let soap residue collect in the metal snaps.) and allow to air dry.

I have also found the burned calories count to be the most accurate estimate. I use a treadmill for most of my runs that has a calorie display which does not take into account age, gender, height, weight or heart rate and I use the app RunKeeper which gives a calorie count without HR input but includes the rest of the stats. For example, after a 15 minute run at 5 mph, the treadmill estimated 65 calories burned, RunKeeper 122 calories burned and the heart rate monitor 129 calories burned. (RunKeeper and the monitor tend to be fairly close, but the longer the workout, the wider the gap becomes.) After checking out several algorithms online to estimate calories burned it seems the monitor is almost perfect.

The monitor will also show you at the end of your workout how much time you spent working out in your "fat burn" zone and your "fitness" zone, which is established durning each workout. It is an interesting stat to see, but the HR threshold between the 2 zones changes every workout and isn't very accurate unless you follow the specific instructions on how to find your threshold for the day. Which I find to be too time consuming and VERY tedious for the little gain it provides for me. (takes about 15 minutes)

The heart rate display seems to be incredibly accurate. It shows a "heart" on the upper middle of the display that flashes in real time with each heartbeat and is sensitive enough to even pick up when I experience premature ventricular contractions. Heart rate displayed is updated by finding any time variance between 2 heartbeats meaning it is beat-by-beat up to date. However if you are experiencing an arrhythmia, the number displayed will not change until a reliable pattern is found again, though the "heart" will still flash accurately with the arrhythmia. I am unsure what the full heart rate range is for the monitor but I have seen it as low as 44 bpm and as high as 227 bpm.

The watch also saves the most resent 100 workouts in it's history which you can go back to review. It shows the date and time the workout started along with the duration, calories burned, time in "fat burn" and "fitness" zones, average HR, and max HR.

And lastly I find the chest strap to be extremely comfortable since I don't really notice it. The strap sits in the exact location as my sports bra's lower band so I feel no difference.

All in all I am extremely happy with the purchase of this monitor. I researched many monitors and read dozens of reviews on several different brands and models (including more pricey ones that I could not afford). This monitor had everything I was looking for, including many "high end" options at a very good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best fitness investments i've ever made!, September 18, 2012
This review is from: Polar FT7F Black/Gold Heart Rate Monitor (Sports)
I have lost 35 pounds so far, and I know part of that can be attributed to the success and assistance of my Polar FT7 heart rate monitor! It's incredibly comfortable (so comfortable, in fact, i often forget I've got my chest strap on until I'm getting in the shower! It appears to be accurate, and gives me a much better idea of how much harder I need to push to get a solid workout in. I also found it useful to watch as, over time, my heart rate got more efficient during the same level of exercise intensity.

I have not used the online companion, as I use a different website for tracking my diet and fitness information.

Another big factor in this purchase was that the battery can be changed by me, not by sending it back to Polar. The chest strap is easy to care for - I just wash it in my machine with my other fitness clothes (no fabric softner, cold water, no dryer). It's maintained its shape and looks brand new after several months of constant (3-6 times a week) wear.

Overall, I think this is an excellent heart rate monitor for those who run, cycle, do Zumba, cardio videos, or fitness class such as spinning. The bells and whistles of GPS models or fancier versions just seem excessive. For the Amazon price, you really can't beat the product you're getting!

4.0 out of 5 stars my first monitor, April 7, 2012
Leanne Dowd (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Polar FT7F Black/Gold Heart Rate Monitor (Sports)
I especially like that the strap can be tossed in the wash. Being able to see duration and heart rate on the same screen would have bumped it up to a 5.

3.0 out of 5 stars Monitor is good, but not great, April 1, 2014
This review is from: Polar FT7F Black/Gold Heart Rate Monitor (Sports)
Good: The monitor's display is very easy to read; even when swimming, face is easy to read. Bad: Sometimes an incorrect (too high) max HR is displayed. There is much on Polar's blogs about this, but it means that your average for that training session also is not correct. Works for swimming, but the chest band must be extremely tight, uncomfortably so (for normal non-water use, the band does not have to be so tight). Documentation is misleading. I was led to believe that the monitor would display "summary" data (HR, time in zone, calories, avg heart rate, max heart rate), but that if I also purchased Polar's FlowLink I could upload "detailed" data, which I interpreted to mean that I could see either a graph or table of HR data within each training session (e.g., HR vs time). Only the same summary data are uploaded to Polar's training website. Thus, if you need detailed training data this monitor is not for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars I Recommend this product, September 22, 2013
This review is from: Polar FT7F Black/Gold Heart Rate Monitor (Sports)
Easy to set up and use. I only wish it would monitor without storing as a workout so I could use it during my day to monitor my HR at work or during regular activities. Would definitely recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars Polar brand not worth the price, January 17, 2014
jdatkinson (Little Rock, AR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Polar FT7F Black/Gold Heart Rate Monitor (Sports)
Consumer Reports rated this model a Recommended, but they also rated the Omron HR-100C Recommended which sells for a fraction on the price. If you look at the user reviews on the Consumer Reports website for the Polar FT7, there are multiple posts hammering Polar for poor quality. I had an upscale Polar a few years back, and it crapped out after less than a year of use. Well, okay, I decided to give the FT7F a try, because I like nice stuff just like the next person even if it costs more. To begin with, this model has a tiny chintzy wristband that barely goes around my wrist and I do not have fat wrists. A man with big wrists will not get this thing on at all. After 3 uses the wrist unit quit picking up the chest strap, and I think the unit is supposed to have a sound (beeps). I have the settings set for sound and no beeps. Polar has got huge quality problems and I am done buying their products. Save your money and buy the Omicron because if you think you are investing in high quality fitness gear that will last by purchasing Polar, you are going to be disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't last, April 11, 2014
This review is from: Polar FT7F Black/Gold Heart Rate Monitor (Sports)
The belt that goes around your breast a screw came off. Amazon made it hard to replace product when I reported it months ago.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why no VO2 Max?, March 13, 2014
This review is from: Polar FT7F Black/Gold Heart Rate Monitor (Sports)
Great for heart rate and individualized calorie burn info. Works with my spin bike and Precor AMT machines. Works under water for swimming, too. I just wish it had VO2 Max info, but I'll need a more expensive model for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Workout Tool Ever!, November 16, 2013
This review is from: Polar FT7F Black/Gold Heart Rate Monitor (Sports)
I never had a HR monitor before but now that I have it I seriously can't function without it anymore. Its AWESOME! This brand was reccomended by my gym/trainer because of the quality and the chest strap which is supposed to make it more accutate. I think its accurate, very intuitive and again has made me obbsessed with monitoring my calorie burn & HR during exercise.
I had never even considered aHR monitor and now I set HR & calorie goals during my workouts and know.that I am achieving them. So much better then relying on machines! Better than just ticking off minutes. I always pushed myself but now I know if I'm doing enough.
I have had no problems with it in the 2 months I have used it. It beeps loud enough for me to hear when I have hit, fallen below or exceeded my target HR which is very helpful when I workout outside. At first I didn't think the the light/glow worked that well but I recently discovered due to the time change its best in the dark. I also like being able to look back at my past workout times, calories burned and how length of time in ea fitness zone. This is recommended for anyone who wants to track HR, Calories and time while getting or staying in shape. Not recommend for runners, walkers or cyclists who need to track metrics like miles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice addition to help track your workouts, November 13, 2013
This review is from: Polar FT7F Black/Gold Heart Rate Monitor (Sports)
Easy to use, easy to read, and very comfortable. I have a very small wrist and I find this fits me very well. I'm very pleased with its performance. I've had no problems in the four months that I have owned it.

Polar FT7F Black/Gold Heart Rate Monitor