5.0 out of 5 stars This thing is a Godsend!
Published on January 26, 2012 by Blondie

2.0 out of 5 stars Great therapy, needs some design and quality improvements
We got introduced to this machine when my spouse had some rotator cuff surgery and needed to mend.

This machine gets five stars for the therapy it provides. The pain relief and anti-inflammatory benefits of the continuous cold pad were very welcomed by the patient.

Published on April 29, 2012 by H. S. Magnuski

5.0 out of 5 stars This thing is a Godsend!, January 26, 2012
Blondie (Tucson, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
My husband had shoulder replacement surgery and a lot of pain afterward. He hates taking drugs and a friend that had the same surgery told him to get a cryotherapy machine. I can highly recommend this one. All you do is fill the cooler with ice and water, plug it in, and you're ready to go. My husband can sleep pain-free. He says he would marry this machine if he weren't already married. :-)

2.0 out of 5 stars Great therapy, needs some design and quality improvements, April 29, 2012

But the quality control and design needs another iteration. On a relatively new machine the top rubber seal had broken, the electrical plug needed replacement because of a poor contact, and when the hose got kinked the motor didn't stop but kept going, pumping water out of the top plate to leak all over the floor, making a big mess on our rug. We ended up putting it into its own tub. I think the manufacturer needs to take another look at the design and components used in this unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, April 5, 2013
I am sitting here 2 days after knee surgery as I write this review. I absolutely love this device. I have had it running pretty much 24 hours a day. I cannot speak to the problems previous reviewers had, saying that the unit failed them after a few months, but for me this thing has been a Godsend. I have one word of advice, don't fill it with ice as it says. Instead, we filled 12 empty soda cans with water and froze them. Put 4 of them in the corners of the cooler and then fill it with water. It will keep the water colder for much longer and then when you need more ice you just rotate 4 more cans out of the freezer. Bottles of water would work too, we just didn't have any water bottles short enough to fit inside the cooler. Also, make really really sure that this is not touching bare skin - you will get frost bite. I put mine on over a pair of sweat pants and still have the surgical dressing on my knee as well. When the surgical dressing comes off I will probably insulate it with a pair of sweat pants and a towel. My surgeon said this thing would really help the healing process after surgery and it has. I recommend it highly. I will probably be looking to purchase the back pad too so that I can use it to ice my bad back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep the Cold Coming, April 22, 2014
My Dad had a similar product many years ago when he had rotator cuff surgery. It was passed around to other family members with ortho problem until the motor gave out. I bought this one for current hip pain and upcoming hip replacement surgery. It's half the size of the original (a more traditional size cooler). Very quiet. The hose extension from the machine and wrap is generous as is the electrical connection. A few tips. I loosely tie the electrical connection around the handle so I don't have to look for it every time. But more importantly, you don't have to use traditional ice- you'd go though pounds and pounds. I fill eight small water bottle three-fourths full and freeze them. You then use 4 bottles in the machine at a time, always having four as back up. Just put the bottles in and fill with water to the line on the cooler. No melting ice, cooler to empty and I think because you are using a larger mass of ice, it melts more slowly and lengthens the cooling time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Cold Therapy, November 6, 2013
Excellent product for post op Total Ankle Replacement & revision surgery. It deserves 5 stars; however, one velcro strap pulled away from the boot wrap. By freezing 4 water bottles with a 1 part rubbing alcohol to 3 parts water mixture to place in the 4 corners, and filling the the remaining chamber with ice before filling with water, I was able to keep the boot cold for 8 hours. Never use this cold therapy device without an adequate barrier between it & the skin.

5.0 out of 5 stars polar cooler, April 22, 2014
I love this little machine with shoulder surgery i could not get along without it. I do not use ice found it is easier to freeze small water bottles and use them. They last about six hours before i have to change them. love it

2.0 out of 5 stars Great when it works, July 26, 2012
This review is from: Polar Care Kodiak Cold Therapy Unit, Knee Compression Combo
These types of machine are great for surgery rehab, no changing ice packs and the pads stay in place. The problem with this unit is it has a low lifespan so consider it pretty disposable and not for reuse on subsequent injuries or surgeries.

Unit started out quiet and reliable for the first use but 6 months later when I needed it again it the pump suddenly started making much more noise after a couple days use. I called customer support and was told that the machine was designed to operate this way and because of the 6 month warranty there was nothing they could do.

Based on it getting consistently louder it will not be long before it stops working entirely. If you don't mind buying a new unit every time then this is a fine purchase otherwise look for a better quality item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, but buy it from your doctor's office if you can, September 6, 2013
Sea Duck (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
it's a little over 2 weeks since my torn rotator cuff surgery and it's absolutely a godsend. after looking at the reviews here, bought it for $250 from my doc's office with a full year's warranty and they will replace it immediately if there's any malfunction. i figured that was worth the few xtra bucks. the last thing you need is a hassle with the manufacturer (as some folks have noted)when you're recovering from this type of surgery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, April 21, 2014
Love this product. Kind of pricey but efficient. Though eventually the connector from hose to pad leaks and u can't buy replacement pieces.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy With This Product, April 2, 2013
I used it as part of the rehab for a total shoulder replacement and lent it to a friend for rotator cuff repair rehab. It does the job.

Rate and Discover Movies