Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now SnS

on September 19, 2012
After 1 month the watch is working great. I use it in the pool everyday, also on my bike and for running. I purchased this model because I wanted to track my pulse in the water and it does a great job. It has a long list of excellent features for training and the option to put your workouts on Personal trainer.com is very useful. I found it best to wet the chest strap under a tap before wearing, it provides a better reading. The option to change the size of the display is handy in the pool, much easier to read. I also have the Timex Ironman race trainer elite, I find the RCX5 provides a more accurate reading and has many more features, also being able to see your heart rate while swimming is fantastic, (as my hand sweeps by I can glance at it and see my heat rate).
The ability to get a read out in the water and the use of personal trainer makes this watch a winner for me.
on December 25, 2014
* 6 moth update: Still using it, still loving it. I also found out if you sync your phone then open the settings you can create your own workouts and pick icons. For example I was doing P90 that has 7 different workouts - Sweat A, B, C, Sculpt A, B, C, and Saturday Special. I was able to create workouts with those as the title to better track what workouts I was doing from the website. You can remove them from your watch, but I had to then clear my workout data form my watch because It had a hard time syncing when I had removed workout type without removing the workout. The data is preserved online showing them as they were logged at the time wit the custom info.

*** 2 month update ****
I've been using this pretty much every day for the past two months. I still love this watch and the online services that go along with it.
****

I was researching the polar lines to get a watch to record my workout data and was looking at the FT4 and FT7, but then I wound up getting this one as a gift for Christmas... Yes, it's only been a few hours but I did about a 50 minute workout with it, and it is exactly what I was looking for.

What's in the box: Watch, Band for the Sensor, Heart Rate Sensor, and a USB DataLink (a USB dongle used to have your computer communicate with it).

The watch is comfortable wearing around the house and while working out (including pushups). It has a large display showing a lot of info while a workout is in session. With a quick glance I can see my current HR, Average HR, how long I have been working out, and how many calories I have burned.

It has different workouts to track when you start recording a workout; running, cycling, swimming, and other sport. This way you can categorize your workouts, great if you are a triathlete and want easily distinguish your workouts.

The watch keeps a history of your workouts on it. The history allows you to see the details of each workout, and the watch will show you a summary of multiple workouts.

The sync software does what it claims; it is easy to setup and sync to their website. You can set your watch to automatically sync to your PC. I have the sync software running in the background on my computer, I plug in the dongle and and with my watch in close proximity it will upload my workouts to the website.

The website is a great addition to the watch. It breaks down your workouts and gives great visualizations of the data that is transferred from the watch.

This is my first day with it, but the learning curve was short, the setup was easy and well documented, the software worked, the synchronizing worked, and the web site is a fantastic added resource.

If you use the Virgin Pulse website (i.e. for work), the Polar website allows you to link your Virgin Pulse account, and it will automatically transfer your workout data over to Virgin Pulse.

If anything comes up I will update my review here, but my initial thoughts on this are that this is a very nice product with added benefits of their training website.

--Update--
I have been using this for a couple weeks now to track my workouts, which I use 6 days a week. Everything is still great. I haven't had any issues with it. The more I use the website the more features I uncover. The website gives you a lot of information and recommendations for your completed workouts.

So far the only feature I wish it had is to create a custom training plan for something other than cycling and running, right now everything goes under 'other sport'. I my most recent update at the top, I found a way to customize this.
on April 22, 2015
I was going to purchase an FT4, mainly because it was much less expensive and had a large number of users who gave it a good review. The RCX5, being more expensive, wasn't likely to have as many comments, since the less expensive watch would at least in my opinion attract the greater number of buyers and therefore the greater number of likely customer ratings. However, since there is a return policy on most things that Amazon sells, I decided to take a chance on the RCX5. First, I the RCX5 has a number of different screens that the user can choose from while working at whatever sport they are engaged in. For me, this was running. Frankly, its a no-brainer for me that the watch should display the BPM, the average BPM and the time. I emphasize displaying the time. the lesser Polars don't seem to show that. I'd rather not wear two watches just for that. It's useful for interval training and for me it was an essential feature. Also, I'm older and my vision is not what it was and this watch's display is large enough to see while exercising. Some of Polar's other models seem to have too small read-outs. Finally, I bought this so that it could be used both with the blutooth chest strap (which works well) as well as allowing me to add on the Polar GPS device in order to more accurately measure distance. Since buying the watch I have added the GPS and that has worked fairly well.
on August 17, 2013
I've been a Polar customer for several years. I've had several heart rate monitor watches from them and the RCX5 has been a major disappointment. I bought the Red watch for no good reason but have had to exchange it 4 times in a year. Polar has been good to work with but the fact that the watch continues to fail (or call for a new battery after about 6 weeks) tells me there's a problem. I don't recommend this product.
on October 14, 2013
I've had this watch for over a year and still think it's the best all around option for a triathlete. It tracks HR in water provided you have on a wetsuit to keep the chest strap in place and works well during runs and rides. The BIG downside of the RCX5 is the lack of any altitude tracking, couple that with say the "running index" which is supposed to track your efficiency and you're in for some frustrating run data. The watch doesn't track elevation gains (or losses) and can assign a horrible running index b/c it assumes you're ALWAYS on flat ground. Obviously this also makes it impossible to get your climbing profile without separately mapping out your routes on another app or device. But even then, there is no option to manually add the data. I can deal with the rudimentary website and antiquated file formats but the lack of altitude data is probably the single biggest miss in device design in the last decade. Shame on Polar for taking a shortcut, this watch is still good, but it could have been great!
on September 7, 2013
As a beginner with these types of heart monitors, I am impressed with how easy it is to set up and use. It felt more complicated than it actually was; once I read the instructions :). The instructions that come with it are not very in depth so you will want to download the full user guide. That was much better for helping me learn how to customize it and use it the way I want. The options are amazing and the customization is easy with the ability to add individual multi-sport tracking for just about every activity you can think of. Very helpful if you dont just run, cycle and swim.
on January 5, 2016
I bought this for the customizable display. I want to see calories burned during my workout, along with duration, HR and split time. I don't used the running or GPS features. The display isn't as easy to read (seems foggy?) as my other polars. It works great has a TON of features, and seems to calculate the same calories (I know mostly estimated) as my other polars. I used this at the same time as my smartphone polar beat app. Sync'd fine with a Win7 PC, didn't try syncing yet with Win8/Win10. I would buy this again for the customizable display features.
on February 10, 2015
Like night and day compared to other models, and I have owed many. Great design, functions, and the readings are crystal clear and BIG! Now, I did just receive it, and I will update accordingly, but boy, I sure like it a lot! Time to workout! :)

One warning however - Amazon sent a used one, but did quickly send a replacement. Watch face should have that protective film on it, and the first one I received did not, and had a few "very tiny" nicks on it. That said, thanks again Amazon for being the best customer service on the web!
on October 31, 2014
It s great, easy to use, and accurate, the only thing I dont give it 5 stars, its because it daws the battery very quick in my opinion, but not a great deal, because this haves a super easy way to change the battery, and as fast Im talking about 1 year of espontaneus use. maybe 3 days a week UPDATE: this is my second watch but for my father, the other one is still working very ggood, so it is great.... and again the battery is not a big deal, I have changed the battery for the mine, and it was super eassy
on May 19, 2013
I had high expectations but this device exceeded them. First of all, the quality of material is impeccable. Second this watch picks up the heart rate signal regardless of if the electrodes are wet and maintains an accurate signal. All of the programmable training modes are great and having a data link dongle in the box is icing on the cake. Also you can swim with this thing on. Simply a great hr device.