Polar RS300X Heart Rate Monitor, Black
Color Name: BlackSize Name: One SizeChange
Price:$82.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on August 29, 2009
Color Name: BlackSize Name: One SizeVerified Purchase
For some reason, Polar requires that these units be sent back to replace the battery, which costs $25 + shipping. On top of the annual cost of maintenance, this ship to replace policy leaves you without a heart monitor for about 2 weeks once a year.

The other issue I found is that the reception range is not very good, so the unit won't work well mounted on a bicycle.

Finally, Polar has decided to arbitrarily remove the % fat burn function from some of its watches. This watch does not have it, so keep in mind you will not know what % of your calorie burn was fat.
1919 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 29, 2011
Color Name: BlackSize Name: One SizeVerified Purchase
So far, I've found the RS300X to be an accurate, easy-to-use HRM with a nice set of features. At the Amazon price, it's a very good value.

By way of background, I've had several previous heart rate monitors. They include about 4 previous Polar monitors, as well as monitors by Garmin, Suunto, and Timex. Polar has always seemed the best at measuring heart rate during activity, especially if you use the Wearlink(fabric) transmitter belt. And since I often work out at gyms, the compatibility with most treadmills and other aerobic machines is an advantage. However, but all my previous Polar HRMs had unintuitive interfaces and poor instruction manuals. Timex was just about the opposite; they had the best receiver (watch) with large, clear displays and easily navigated menus. But I had to return both Timex HRMs that I ordered from Amazon because the heart rate function never worked. It seemed that the transmitter never made good enough contact with my skin, even when I used electrode gel.

My Suunto (model T3C) is a pretty good HRM and the receiver unit looks good, at least if you like the look of a conventional watch. The main display item (eg heart rate) is very easy to read, but the smaller lower display (time or whatever you choose to show) is tiny and hard to read when you're running. If you ordinarily use reading glasses you're out of luck. Also it doesn't display much information, perhaps because the main display item has such large pixels.

The Garmin FR60 is an excellent and generally reliable HRM but the receiver is thick and unattractive. I just sent it in for the 2nd time because it stopped working. Garmin customer support, however, has been excellent. I got the model with the foot pod for measuring distances but I've never actually used the foot pod. Its interface is not entirely intuitive but it isn't bad.

The RS300X is easily the best of these. I wasn't looking for a lot of features, only basic heart rate measurement and convenient lap timing. I wore it on a long run today and it rapidly determined my heart rate and seemed to be completely accurate the whole time. Some reviewers have complained that the display is hard to read for older eyes; I didn't find that a problem at all even with sunglasses. The menus are logical and there are hints to direct you to what to do next when you're scrolling through options. One of the most attractive aspects of this model is that it's so easy to do lap timing. So when you're running a marathon, for example, it's very easy to check your pace each mile while continuing to monitor your heart rate, and it is great for interval training. It shows the lap time, cumulative time, and heart rate on a single screen.

I'm also enjoying some of the features that I never thought I'd use. For example, the "Polar Index" is basically a measure of your resting heart rate that is supposed to correlate with MvO2. It isn't hard to measure your resting heart rate, but this feature offers a convenient way to get an average heart rate over 5 minutes - not something you'd want to do by checking your pulse for that long. It does a really nice job of defining training zones automatically and reporting the time you spend in each zone.

Although I call it basic this HRM has all the features I need for training and racing long distances. Polar has always had good technology but in the past was weak at interface design. They've made great strides with this model.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 6, 2009
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UPDATE: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 1:36PM

After a couple more workouts and a few hours of trying to figure out this product... well, their user documentation is horrible, which means you must spend hours discovering almost everything on your own.

I like the RS300X for its ability to track and store training data. (But, finding the data is a hassle thanks to poor documentation with no examples. Ultimately, I will have to spend time creating a navigation chart myself.)

I like the chest band with its detachable transmitter and easy-to-replace battery.

I don't like the molded one-piece watch-band that forces you to wear the watch atop the wrist. I prefer to wear the watch on the side of my wrist where I can glance down to read, rather than having to raise my entire arm to read.

I still don't like the display because of its obnoxious glare and requirement of perfect up-close vision to read it.

Based on my experience with the RS300X and other Polar products, I would now raise my 2-star rating to 4-stars (if I could). Without excellent and useful documentation - that SAVES MY TIME & FRUSTRATION - I can't give it 5-stars.

All my other Polar products have been reliable and of high quality construction. I assume the RS300X will be the same or better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday, September 6, 2009 11:25AM

I received my new Polar RS300X a couple days ago. I shoulda shopped around...

I've been using Polar Heart Rate monitors since 1986. and have been pleased with them all... Until now.

I bought this RS300X because I loathe the hassle of sending the equipment in for new batteries.

While the RS300X electronics seem to offer many features, the smaller display is utterly crappy - a significant obstruction to my workouts!

You must try to read the tiny display info through TWO glaring reflections off the clear plastic lens (glare NOT SHOWN in the photos). What good is the real-time feedback info if you can't read it while running?!?!

I assumed I would love this new product.

Unfortunately, after only two uses, I hate this RS300X. If I change my mind after more usage, I'll change this review.

Mike
on February 4, 2010
Color Name: BlackSize Name: One Size
Nobody loves the Polar Brand more than I do. Actually since 1995 I haven't used any other brand. I have always used the basic model to get the largest screen and font. At the White Rock Expo 12/09 in Dallas I purchased the RS300x w/ the foot pod.
Pros: + the foot pod is incredibly accurate, much better than any GPS technology that you can afford
+ nice looking watch / monitor (although I don't use mine as a watch)
+ chest strap will fit smaller chests ( my children can use the new chest strap)
+ heart rate registers without recording so you can read your heart rate prior to or after your run but it doesn't skew your run data.

Cons: -With 3 lines of text on each screen, You cant read the screen during a run. Particularly the tenths of miles. (This blows the whole deal, what's the point of info you can't read)
-too many screens to go through, just overly complicated a good thing.
What is the value of all that information that you can't read during a run. I get home from a run and realize the thing wasn't on.
There should be a way to opt out of some of the bologna. 99% of athletes don't need that info and don't want it.
I still love Polar and I'm still trying to love the RS300 but its not easy. I guess it like buying a book and when you get home you realize the font is too small to read.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 22, 2009
Color Name: BlackSize Name: One SizeVerified Purchase
A good watch, almost identical to the 200 series. If you don't need the latest in download capabilities, and you are not an Ironman, this is probably all you will ever need.
on April 4, 2014
Color Name: BlackSize Name: One SizeVerified Purchase
I've edited my review, upgrading it from 1 to 2 stars and cancelled return of the product after discovering that while no amount of NORMAL wetting (sweat, water) will get the sensor to function, a conductive jelly such as that used on electrodes in hospitals for EKGs or (ahem, forgive the impropriety) "personal lubricants" will do the job quite well. While you may feel ridiculous squirting KY Jelly on your sensor prior to a race, it will guarantee an immediately functional and accurate HR result that will last throughout a 1 hour 45 minute race (in my case, a duathlon with two runs and a bike ride).

For those of you wondering, it was NOT an issue of chest hair or similar problems keeping the sensor from function. We tried the sensor on several people with hairless chests, using regular water and salt water. You just cannot get enough conductivity. Shame on you Polar for putting such shoddy stuff on the market.

My remaining criticisms still stand: after filling out the Amazon item return form I noticed a large banner on the product page saying Amazon had temporarily suspended sales of the item because of unspecified problems from other buyers.

Additionally, my unit advertised the ability to transfer data to my Mac or PC. I've been a Polar user for over a decade and this has always been an important feature for me. HOWEVER NOWHERE IN THE SPECS DID IT INFORM ME I HAD TO PURCHASE ADDITIONAL HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE TO ACCOMPLISH THIS FUNCTIONALITY. In the age where Bluetooth can be incorporated into the tiniest of devices, this additional charge is a ripoff.

Coupled with the necessity to wet the sensor with a conductive lubricant to get it to work properly, I'd search elsewhere for an HR monitor, if there were an "elsewhere" to search. Polar seems to have a lock on the market and their products used to be high quality. Overall, very disappointed with this unit.
on January 15, 2010
Color Name: BlackSize Name: One SizeVerified Purchase
I have had this for about one month and it is great. It is the first time I have owned a watch like this and it is excellent.

Pros - I would suspect it provides as detailed info as possible as it asked for age, height, weight, and sex. Watch is not ugly so I can wear it at work. It is pretty easy to use. While you have to/should take it to a Polar Dealer or mail it to Polar to change the battery in the watch (not uncommon for these things), I love the fact that you can put the watch in sleep mode to conserve battery power.

Cons - easy to use but not so easy you could pop it out of the box and strap it on. But one read of the manual should be enough. The funtion keys and menu are okay but could be easier.

The one thig I with it could be is give me a read-out of calories burned while I am actually working out. For example, if I want to burn 400 calories in a workout I can't check while I am working out. I would need to stop my session and then read it. Minor issues though, I would buy this again in a second.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 26, 2013
Color Name: BlackSize Name: One SizeVerified Purchase
This hrm has all that I wanted, on paper. But I've been severely disappointed for the following reasons:
- display is difficult to read.
- interface in not very good. It took a while to get vaguely accustomed to the menus and functions.
- it loses heart rate enough to be annoying
- I had to stop several times to re-clip the transmitter that got detached while riding my bike.
- finally, stopped working a few weeks after the end of the warranty period.

After it crapped out, I was so disappointed that I did not bother sending it for repair, and I stopped using hrm. Now I'd like to use Hrm again and I'm torn between giving it another shot for $100 box approx, or paying extra to get a different one.
Overall not satisfied.
on May 21, 2013
Color Name: BlackSize Name: One SizeVerified Purchase
I've had this HRM for a little over a week now, and every day it's the same thing: I wet the Sensor portion of the strap (I've done everything from a mild wetting to soaking for 5 minutes) and when I initially put the strap on it picks up my heart rate with no problem...then about half way through my 50 min or so workout it loses the signal and nothing I do will get the signal back.

I've tried removing and reinstalling the battery in the HRM, replacing the battery in the HRM, re-wetting the strap, drying off the strap (I get pretty sweaty), removing the heart rate sensor from the strap and waiting 30 seconds before reconnecting it to the strap, tightening the strap to the point I can barely wear it...nothing seems to work.

It works great initially but then just cuts out. From other reviews I see here and other places, this seems to be an issue with this model, and a couple other Polar models...so I'm returning this unit for a refund.

My basic Nike HRM from Costco has worked great for 5 years. I just wanted something that could measure my avg HR and give me calories burned for my workouts.

But this HRM makes me stop, try to get it to pick up my heartrate after it loses it and it's ruined just about every workout in the week I've had it. I just can't see having so many problems with a unit that is less than a week old. I may try the FT-40 to see if it works better. If that model isn't any better that will be it for me with Polar products.

Amazon, as always, provides great service. I received this item one day after ordering (using Prime's free 2-day shipping). Returning the item was easy, just entered information online and received an email with the shipping information to send the unit back. Looks like they started processing my refund as soon as UPS indicated they had the package. Great service from a great company!
on June 10, 2012
Color Name: BlackSize Name: One SizeVerified Purchase
My first complaint is the awful user manual, I have been in IT for a long time and seen some poorly written manuals in my time but for a user manual that is written for the mass consumer market this one is very bad. You should not have to read user forms to understand basic setup functions. The next issue I have is the product is just unreliable, sometimes is just displays zero or a very high value that is not correct. I am on my second strap and I get the same unreliable results. I make sure I wash the strap after every use but it still gives incorrect readings. I have seen other reviews that complain of this same issue so I know its just not me. I would not recommend this product.