2,420
Polar FT7 Women's Heart Rate Monitor Watch (Black / Gold)
Color Name: Black / GoldChange
Price:$61.95 - $279.56

on March 1, 2013
Color Name: Black / SilverVerified Purchase
I currently own a FT7 which is about a year old. I just wanted to pass along some advice: do not waste your time buying a Polar HRM watch as there will be a period for required service. My current watch is a FT 7. I have also owned a RS 200. For the FT7, I followed the general instructions on the care of a HRM watch which included the cleaning of the contacts of the transmitter and washing the chest strap. Unfortunately, I did not do this for the RS200 and was a product of Polar customer service before and after the warranty period: I was charged for servicing which included battery replacements of the watch and transmitter and received a new transmitter due to "oxidation" of the contacts. The RS200 eventually died within 3 years of use. This time around for the FT7, I sent the watch in for a delay of the HRM signal registering with the watch. This problem occurred right out the box when I bought the FT7 new from Amazon. This annoyance was too much to bear for the FT7, and I sent the watch back to Polar this week for this problem as well as a broken watch band within the warranty period. Today, I was informed by Polar customer service that I had the same problems that I had with the RS200: Your chest transmitter was "oxidize" and you need new batteries for the watch and transmitter. This was after a thorough process of cleaning the watch, transmitter, and chest strap for the last 11 months. FYI, I had replaced all the batteries two months ago with a local watch dealer who tested the batteries before putting into the transmitter and watch. The Polar representative told me that the current problems are not covered by the warranty and for Polar to service the watch would cost $38.85 + shipping and handling ($7.50). This amount is more than half of what I paid on Amazon. Overall, I agree with some of the other Amazon reviewers that this appears to be an additional revenue making tool for Polar. I will not be buying another Polar HRM watch.
on October 22, 2014
Color Name: Black / SilverVerified Purchase
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS!!! The chest strap is comfortable and adjustable. The strap lays flat on your body and I hardly notice it. The watch stores user data, and I would say is accurate on calories. Its also I believe waterproof or resistant. I have taken it in to the steam room and sauna. The display is clear and back lit. I would recommend this to any one looking for an awesome heart rate monitor for fitness. This is way beyond those little activity trackers and for someone looking to improve fitness and see their results from workouts. Best thing I have purchased for myself and I use it every workout.
review image
on October 10, 2011
Color Name: Black / SilverVerified Purchase
The only reason I bought this was for tracking my lower heart rate limit, so that it would beep when I dipped below my target.
I had read some documentation from Polar that it had this capability, but I could not find that feature. I then went on to the Polar Ft7 forums,
where I found others had the same issue, and found that Polar admitted the error: the FT7 cannot alert when your HR dips below a target.

As far as I'm concerned, the whole point of an HR monitor is to let me know when I am slacking (ie, HR dipping below my target), without
having to constantly check it myself.

The packaging has a big warning sign when you open it that it can't be returned if you use it, so buyer beware.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 30, 2011
Color Name: Black / SilverVerified Purchase
This is my first HRM. I almost bought the Garmin 110 but decided I didn't need the GPS functions in addition to the watch. I already have a nice $5 NIKE app on my iPhone that will tell me distances and pace so if I really need to know that information. Anyhow, I have two tiny children, a busy career and a busy wife that also works full time. I am a swimmer and I lift weights on and off over the last 10 years. About a year ago I moved into a neighborhood that offers a lot of great road and trail running. I tend to run a lot for 3 months and then stop for 3 months. My goal is just to get some motivation to keep working out, so I bought one of these units.
The chest strap is made of a soft material that is comfortable to wear and easy to adjust. The watch was very easy to set up; no instructions were necessary. On my first run with it, my mind wanted to go faster but the watch was telling me right away that I was at my max heart rate given my personal stats (age, weight, height). So I eased up and went a bit slower than I would have ordinarily gone. What I noticed was that my energy level was strong all the way through the run whereas had I not worn this and went with my gut, I would have peaked out twice and been forced to walk for a little bit over my hilly 3 mile run. This gave me important feedback and I am not too cooked after a long day of work, bath time with kids, playing with kids, a 3 mile run and now doing more work and this review. I am eager to get back out and steadily increase my performance.

One important note that I did not see on any of the other reviews is that when you begin a training session, a timer starts on the watch. This creates a workout session that is saved to the data files. Although it doesn't have a GPS, stopwatch, lap / interval functions, it does tell you the total time of your workout, your max heart rate and your average heart rate. If you really need to know your pace and distance just download a cheap app on your phone and time it every once in awhile. I am a busy guy and I just want to run 30-60 minutes 3-4 times a week. I may do a 5k but I just want to stay fit and be able to play ball with my kids in 10 - 15 years when I am in my late 40's. I think one of my problems over the years is that my mind would push me into difficult workouts and I would be reluctant to keep the body breaking pace up over long periods of time. In one use I can see that this HRM tells me where my body really is and keeps me from overdoing it, so I can keep up a more realistic workout schedule over the long term.
on July 12, 2012
Color Name: Black / Silver
Ive had this thing for just over three months and it started acting funny. A couple of weeks ago it would report a heart rate of 240+, eventually It would report a correct heart rate

Now it just doesn't work, reads 00 (as in no heart rate)

I have emailed polar a few times with no response (trying to RMA it)

A simple google search shows others have had this exact same problem with the same model.

the product itself should be 4 stars, but its down to 1 now because customer service is ignoring my support requests. (i contacted them directly through the website)

********** UPDATE **********

It took a few weeks for customer service to get back to me - however - before that happened i went to their website and saw that chat support was finally live so i clicked and chatted with somebody.

they sent me out a new strap and wearlink under warranty , i didn't even have to pay for shipping.

updated from 1 star to 4 stars..
on January 3, 2014
Color Name: Blue/LilacVerified Purchase
I ordered one for my husband and he loves the product. The description does not list if it is for a man or woman. After many searches and chats with Amazon I did find that there are only 2 colors for men. All other colors are a woman's fit. The black/red and the black/silver are for men. All other colors have the woman's band which is smaller. All this information is according to research done by an Amazon rep and an outside link.
on November 18, 2013
Color Name: Black / RedVerified Purchase
I've had this HRM for a little over a year, BUT only used it approximately 3-4 months total. It has already malfunctioned; the watch display was unreadable, I thought it was a dead battery but that wasn't the case. I sent it back to POLAR since it is under warranty, and when it came back to me, the watch wasn't reparied! The watch did not even turn on! No explanation from POLAR. Of course they paid for me to ship it back a second time, however now I've been out a HRM for a month now. Their customer service is horrible; I felt rushed off the phone, and then when i emailed them I got a very generic response without any answer or even addressed my question. I may have lost all faith in this company all together, the jury is still out on that one.
UPDATE: I received my watch back after sending it back twice, second time I used it, it acted up and the watch didn't detect my HRM. THIS PRODUCT IS TRASH, not to mention the light on the watch barely lights up the watch, useless.
Color Name: Black / SilverVerified Purchase
I received my Polar Ft and it wasn't working well, so Amazon replaced it for free, no questions asked. Awesome. The new one worked for around 4 months when the transmitter stopped working. I contacted Polar about it and they were very helpful and sent me a shipping label and said to send it to their warranty center. A month later, I received a bill in the mail for the price I purchased it for. I contacted customer service to ask where my heart rate monitor was and why I had a bill, and they said "All Polar products have a two year limited warranty based on date of purchase if purchased from an Authorized Polar Dealer. Warranty does not cover the receiver or the transmitter battery after six months, damage due to misuse, abuse, accidents or non-compliance with the precautions; improper maintenance, commercial use, cracked or broken cases." So basically, with the language they use, they can get away with declaring anything as out of warranty so they don't have to cover it. Plus, I sent it in within 6 months, but was still charged for batteries. I'm not sure what I did wrong in caring for it, and I didn't even use it more than once or twice a week. Either way, now I have a bill for the price of a new transmitter and no transmitter. Can't say I'll be replacing it with a new Polar product if this is how their products and customer service work!
on June 19, 2010
Color Name: Black / SilverVerified Purchase
After extensive review and investigation, I decided to get the Polar FT7.

One of the things it does have is a user replaceable battery. A little (very little) drawback is that the transmitter and the watch use different size batteries. But I really don't see this as anything real big.

It also has a backlight. There are times when I wish the backlight stayed on longer

I really was looking for a watch with a stopwatch. This only has a "duration" setting. However, what I would use the stopwatch for (intervals), I can get around this setting. When talking to one of their representatives, I really wasn't told that by bringing the watch close to the transmitter, it would only display the time. I was thinking that it would show the heartrate.

Don't ask me to explain it, but for some reason the duration and the time of day are on the same screen. I really don't care about the time of day, you can get that easily enough. But I do care about my heartrate during the intervals. You have to go forward two screens to get your heartrate.

I did want a watch that would tell me how many calories I burned during my workout, and this one does that.

The chest strap is very comfortable. It's really a piece of material that the transmitter snaps into. Another good thing is that you can take the transmitter off and wash the strap.

One thing I did learn after receiving it was that there is no way to turn the watch off. Even after you take off the transmitter, the time is still displayed. Not sure if this uses a lot of battery power or not.

All in all, I'm quite satisfied. It WOULD be nice if the duration and heartrate were on the same screen, that is about the only thing that I can't get around.

Be aware that the manual that comes with the watch is really just a mini-manual. You need to download the full manual from the website. Not a biggie.

I'm sure there are other features that I haven't utilized as yet. Then again, I haven't had my HRM for a week yet. I bet the low battery indicator is helpful. The two different time zones will also come in handy, too, I'm sure.
on March 6, 2013
Color Name: Black / SilverVerified Purchase
I purchased the FT7 in June 2011. In recent months I have had to return it for service under warranty twice. Once the transmitter was returned because the battery cover was on so tightly it could not be removed without destroying it. The second time the receiver stopped picking up the pulse signal from the transmitter. Both times Polar replaced batteries without my consent and charged me for them. And once Polar said a new strap was needed and of course the strap was out of warranty. I was charged about a third of the original price of the FT7 for it. On all occasions I paid shipping to and from the service department. On the last occasion the strap did not correct the problem. The unit was returned in the same non-functioning state. A email to Polar customer service resulted in a response telling me to keep the strap clean. It was new and hadn't yet been used. An on line chat with Polar then resulted in about the same instruction. This, even though I had successfully used and cleaned the unit for over a year. It was clear Polar was not going to honor the warranty that came with the FT7. In the end I found an battery contact internal to the receiver was making poor contact with the battery. A little persuasion fixed it. If you plan on purchasing Polar product be prepared to pay for new batteries whenever it is serviced. Prepare for Polar to recommend purchasing replacement parts before instead of actually diagnosing the problem. I cannot recommend the Polar product due to poor customer service behind it.