5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the money
Love this HRM. I think the fitness test feature is so important for weight loss- it allows for more accurate determination of calories burned.

Published on February 13, 2012 by Heather

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm mixed (It worked well... when it .. worked??)
Published 23 months ago by Casey Kramer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the money, February 13, 2012
Heather "TommysMommy" (Royal oak, MI, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Polar FT40F Heart Rate Monitor - Women's (Sports)

1 problem I have had- when it was time to change the battery on the chest transmitter (I only knew I needed a new battery b/c I started getting crazy readings, like a HR of 240!), the back was SO hard to remove! I tried coins, screwdrivers..a butter knife...finally my husband removed it with a very large screwdriver- but by then a lot of damage had been done to the back cover (it's just made of plastic).

I contacted Polar on their "live chat" (don't do email- I tried and after a week still no response) and they sent me a new back asap.

SO
1) strange readings =time for new battery
2) FYI- I had to replace the battery within a year- but they are really cheap (like $2.00 each)
3) Be careful when removing the back- use a very large screwdriver (meaning the head of the screwdriver is big)
4) Don't email polar- use live chat
5) If you damage the back, they will quickly send you a new one for free.
So- while I had a problem, it was resolved so well that I still give this 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT TOOL for fitness! LOVe that it's white, December 6, 2011
This review is from: Polar FT40F Heart Rate Monitor - Women's (Sports)
IF YOU NEED a monitor that is simple and useful, this is the one for you!

I have used polar over the past 3 years and i am very happy of their products. My husband also have this brand. The old models lack the capability of having the user change the batteries but THIS POLAR FT40F HAS IT! This was very important to me as I am using this item at least 5 days a week to run and spin class. No need to send it to have the battery replaced which will probabaly take a week or two.

Features are great! very helpful. I love the fact that it does fitness test. It is very easy to set-up. User friendly.

The look? SUPER STyLISH and cute!I love that it is white and not the normal bulky black look. The wrist band is super soft thought it took me a few hours to get use to the bulkiness since I haven't worn a watch in a month since the wrist injury. The chest strap is super comfy and is coded so it doesn't cross talk while u are in the gym.

PErfect tool for those who wants to step up their game in fitness or varius sports. I am using this tool mainly to run, spin, and do stairs

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for building up fitness!, May 22, 2013
This review is from: Polar FT40F Heart Rate Monitor - Women's (Sports)
This is exactly what I wanted when I decided to stop being a couch potato and start building back up my fitness level!

Here's why I picked the ft40 (over the ft4):
* calculates your max heart rate based on your age/weight/resting heart rate (which it has a test for)
* stores up to 50 workouts that you can flip back through
* lets you sync your workouts to your computer, you can see your stats and compare your workouts.
* honestly, I probably would have been fine with the FT4, but I wanted the option to have more options (If I ever decide to train for a half marathon, the FT40 will be more useful)

I love this heart rate monitor because it tells me exactly how hard I'm working, so when my brain tells me "oh hey, this is too hard" I look down at my watch, see that I'm at 60% of my max, and then promptly tell my brain to shut up so I can work harder. It's been incredibly helpful to know just exactly how hard I need to push myself to maintain either a fat burning mode or a fitness mode. The calorie counter is great for me as well. I've been doing insanity and when they say "you can burn up to 800 calories a workout!" that doesn't mean I will! with the FT40 I get a pretty good estimate of how many calories I've actually burned, making figuring out my daily calorie intake that much easier.

If you love to track everything, have a hard time pushing yourself (and need mathematical proof of how hard you're working) get this monitor!

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm mixed (It worked well... when it .. worked??), October 19, 2012
Casey Kramer (Cincinnati, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Polar FT40F Heart Rate Monitor - Women's (Sports)
GOOD THINGS: It really always seemed to catch right on to my heart rate without much moving effort (like particular placement or anything); I just tucked it under my sports bra and was very comfortable so I didn't notice the strap very often; The screen was clear and easy to see; it's easy to switch between calories or HR in the middle of workout (when I was looking at reviews, I remember people talking about the buttons being hard to push. I think that's a little picky. It wasn't difficult to push at all)

BAD THINGS:
Notice I say "wasn't" - LOL - because I only had this for about 5-6 months before it completely stopped working. My heart rate says "00" and will no longer catch my actual HR. I'm going to call to Polar and see if they'll do something about it. For this amount of money, this thing should've lasted longer. I also had read this happening to a few other reviewers before I bought this, but I bought it thinking "maybe they did something wrong" or "maybe they didn't take care of it"... well, I did take care of mine and sure enough, it still died.

I'll update my review to 4 stars if Polar actually helps me resolve my issue.

If you're one of those people decided between this or a lower model from Polar. I would recommend just buying whatever is the most basic/cheap model they have that will show both HR and calories burned... when it comes down to it, that's really all you need!

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was looking for!, July 9, 2013
This review is from: Polar FT40F Heart Rate Monitor - Women's (Sports)
The Polar Ft40 is exactly what I was looking for in a heart rate monitor. I have used it virtually every day since I received it 3-4 months ago. I opted for the white watch and find that it is very easy to clean. Here are my pros and cons...

Pros
-Chest strap is comfortable, I never even notice I'm wearing it
-Strap is easily moistened with just water, but I have used electrode jelly as well, both work great
-Watch piece has a few settings on what you would prefer to look at "at-a-glance" during your workout. What is pictured is one of those views (current heart rate and minimum heart rate for "fitness" zone vs "fat burn" zone. You can have it be just your current heart rate, calories burned or the time as well.
-Easily pause your workout and re-start

Cons
-There may be a way but I wish I could have a separate timer function for intervals during my workout
-I've owned my Ft40 for 3-4 months now and had to replace the battery already
-I replaced the battery about 1 month ago and it is starting to lose my heart rate again. I've found when this happens usually the strap needs a good cleaning (wash with like colors, do not dry, or hand wash in sink). I try to wash it once a week at minimum.

**Edited 8/20/13 - I contacted Polar about my last "con" about the device losing my heart rate. They thought it may be a faulty transmitter so they sent me a new one. Fantastic customer service. They also shared with me that I should hand-wash my strap vs put it in the washer so I have been doing that as well. No issues and if it does for some reason lose my heart rate, it finds it again right away. Thank you!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Polar Women's Monitor Watch, January 16, 2012
This review is from: Polar FT40F Heart Rate Monitor - Women's (Sports)
I love this watch. Helps me keep track of my workouts, heart rate, and calories burnt in a workout. I can also use it for my water class. I would highly recommend this product!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great addition to my workout routine, August 12, 2012
This review is from: Polar FT40F Heart Rate Monitor - Women's (Sports)
I purchased this Polar Ft40F Women's Heart Rate Monitor watch because I wanted to be able to be able to keep track of how consistent my workouts were. The watch itself works great. There are several different options/screens that can be monitored while in the process of tracking your heart rate. You can watch the time, your heart rate, your heart rate in comparison to the range where it should be, and your total calories burned. The watch will tell you if your heart rate is in a "fitness" zone or "fat burning" zone. To understand the difference I did a little research online, but basically even when you are at your resting heart rate, you are in a "fat burning" zone, and the higher your heart rate goes that moves you into a "fitness" zone. After entering your personal stats the watch calculate your range where you should be and if you exceed the maximum heart rate range it will beep until you lower your heart rate back into the fitness zone.

To clarify, there is an adjustable strap that you put around your chest and snap on the heart rate monitor to the buttons on it. I workout pretty hard, running, biking, rowing, resistance training, and I never even notice or remember the strap is there and it in no way interferes with my workout. It just transmits the information to my watch. I have also found that this watch also transmits my information to my Schwinn exercise bike and may work with other workout gear, which is another plus.

This watch has allowed me to be aware of my effort in my workouts and adjust if necessary to make sure I am meeting my fitness goals. I have no complaints and am very happy with this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars polar heart rate monitor, November 12, 2011
This review is from: Polar FT40F Heart Rate Monitor - Women's (Sports)
I am very pleased with the new polar FT40 heart rate monitor I purchased. The price was amazing AND the monitor is wonderful. It is very user friendly too. I was worried that it would have more functions than I was able to understand, but it's very straight forward. The watch itself is extremely light yet durable. I hate the way a watch feels on my wrist, but this one is pretty comfortable. I am able to work out way more effectively than ever before. This is an excellent product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy, October 23, 2013
This review is from: Polar FT40F Heart Rate Monitor - Women's (Sports)
I purchased this heart rate monitor about a month ago and am very happy with it! I did not have a lot of money to spend, and I feel like I got a good value for the price. I didn't need all of the bells and whistles like GPS, etc. I just wanted a straightforward HRM that would tell me how hard I'm working. I like that at the end of the workout (when I actually remember to turn it off) it tells me how many calories I burned, what % of calories were from fat, how long I was in my fat burning zones and my conditioning zones, and what my max and average heart rate were. The display is also easy to read.

I was also surprised at how comfortable the strap is. I was very worried how it would fit since I'm a big mama (240 pounds). But it is adjustable and fit just fine. I liked that it was a stretchy material as well as washable (big plus).

Some people commented about a short battery life....I've only had mine a month, so I probably can't help too much, but I have noticed that it does need to be turned off at the end of each workout otherwise the watch will keep reading (or trying to read if the strap was removed) the HRM. I would imagine that would greatly reduce the battery life.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE LOVE LOVE. :), December 10, 2012
This review is from: Polar FT40F Heart Rate Monitor - Women's (Sports)
After buying a Pyle heart rate monitor that didn't work from the start, I became very skeptical and turned to the reviews to help me decide on my next purchase attempt. Couldn't be happier with this model! It was so easy to set up and came pre-synced to the chest strap! Absolutely effortless. And it works GREAT! Tracks my workouts, calories, history, target heart rate AND the band is super comfortable. I forget I'm even wearing it. I definitely recommend this model. The reviews didn't let me down this time!

Rate and Discover Movies