5.0 out of 5 stars Clearest yet
Published 7 months ago by Tomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Night Vision, Amazon search is misguided
This device does not provide night vision. If you search for night vision this device comes up but it is not night vision capable. It is a very nice handy telescope and I am keeping it but if you are looking for night vision, look else where!
Published 24 days ago by Scott

5.0 out of 5 stars Clearest yet, June 19, 2014
This review is from: Polaris Explorer - 12X50 High Powered Monocular - Bright and Clear Range of View - Single Hand Focus - Waterproof Monocular For Any Weather and Any Environment - 12X Monocular Zoom To See Things 12X Closer - Designed For Bird Watching, Watching Wildlife or Scenery - Comes With Stainless Steel Tripod For Hands Free, Steady Viewing - FREE BONUS* Comes with 4 FREE Expert Bird Watching EBooks - Lifetime Warranty - THE MOST POWERFUL HANDHELD MONOCULAR SCOPE ON THE MARKET TODAY (Electronics)
I had a chance to try this monocular out and it was by far the best of four that I've test driven. The clarity at a distance was amazing. I tested it out at about 20 yards and I could see water droplets on a tethered pole. At about 50 yards I could make out individual leaves on a tree easily. The focusing mechanism that sits right above the eye hole spins around several times so the precision allows for significant minor adjustments to get the clariity just right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't recommend it more highly., November 9, 2014
Sconion (United States) - See all my reviews
I received the Polaris Explorer 12x50 monocular as a gift. For me, there is nothing to dislike about this product. I've always had trouble using binoculars. I couldn't get the images to merge no matter what I did or what brand I used or how much I paid. I know, I know, silly.

I figured the monocular was the way to go and it has proved to be perfect in every way.

Optics are great, weight and size are perfect. Field of view and depth of field couldn't be better. Construction and form factor are superior to anything I've tried. The 50mm front lense lets in loads of light, so even in low light conditions, the image is clear and crisp with no haze around the outside of the lense. During a black as pitch night, I took a look at the moon. Yup, I could see it in great detail.

Two slight problems. One is mine and the other is due entirely to the Polaris Explorer.

12x power is a lot of power. The greater the magnification, the more shake you get. This is easily compensated for by bracing against a solid object or using the tripod (provided). This isn't a flaw - it is a BTW.

I encountered one huge drawback with this product. Everybody - EVERYBODY - who takes a peep through it, wants to "borrow it," after which I would never see it again. All of my friends, a pretty loathsome lot to begin with, have to be frisked before they leave the after being within arm's reach of the Polaris. I've recovered the it times already. It would be easy to say I need new friends, but this product would tempt anybody to lust after it.

My advice ~ buy one for your very own and leave mine alone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great hunting glass, October 23, 2014
Great for hunting: I purchased the Explorer for use during the elk and deer hunt in Utah this year - we hunt in rugged, high altitudes and I wanted to shed some weight. The explorer worked great; the 50mm primary gathers enough light that you can scan far ridges and distant meadows well before and after legal shooting light. The 12x power is plenty of power for ID-ing the general size of bucks and bulls at ~1000yds, but not for scoring at that distance. The focus has a lot of variance, giving you great control of focusing at different distances - I think the amount of play in the dial is a bonus, but others feel that it takes too many turns to get dialed in, so take your preferences into account.

FYSA these are not Swarovskis, and at this price we shouldn't expect them to be able to compete with such clarity. So yes, while you can focus these very well and get a nice view, they aren't as crisp and jaw dropping as other optics I've used. However, their portability and functionality made them the go-to glass with all the hunters in my group. We...ah...don't own any Swarovski glass, but they did replace my Wind Rivers, and for the weight/functionality, I will not be going back.

Hints:
1) We found holding them focus ring down and dialing the focus ring with your thumb to be the most comfortable way to hold these.
2) Why the rear eyepiece cover doesn't come with a lanyard like the front one does I don't know, but I just took some 5/50 and tied it to the front lanyard where it secures around the tube. Both covers then fall down in a straight line away from your hands when viewing, and are easy to find and reattach without taking your eyes off your subject.
3) While the case is fairly rugged, the belt strap is not - after only a few days on my belt I could see the stitching coming loose. So before heading to the mountains I'd recommend some superglue and some double stitching. If you have more time/talent, remove the belt loop entirely and attach a new, wider one out of better materials. These do fit fine in most jacket pockets, but I preferred using the case so that I didn't have to keep moving it around when I shed or donned layers.
4) The small tripod that comes with this is nice, but it's really only useful when you can set it on the hood of your truck or something else that's kinda high and flat. For those times you're in your blind or stand, I'd recommend buying something taller and more adjustable. The mount takes standard photography heads, so I'm thinking of something like the Fotomate CT15-8C tripod for my next trip.
5) For long duration scanning, cover your non-dominate eye with something to keep it from getting strained. I would just pull my beanie down, or switch eyes. These are pretty standard tactics for use with other, similar optics like a spotting scopes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just the deer hunting accessory I was looking for, August 13, 2014
T. Zenner (Minneapolis MN) - See all my reviews
I like it a lot. Just what I was looking for for deer hunting. I use 2.3 power scope on my
deer rifle, so when hunting bucks only, I need a fast way to look closely. And with this
monocular 'scope', one handed operation is VERY easy.

Focus knob turns easily with one-finger pressure, but not so easy it will move unintentionally.
I would prefer the focus knob didn't require QUITE so much turning though. I think it would be
more usable with plenty of fine tuning for focus if it only required 2/3 as much turning to go thru the
whole focus range.

'Light gathering' is good. When using it at dusk, the object you are looking at appears brighter thru
the scope than with the naked eye.

Size is nice. Listed dimensions are correct. The picture with the hand on the scope is deceiving.
The hand in that picture is small.

The objective lens cover is attached with a 'flap', but the eyepiece cover is not. I think it should be,
and it wouldn't be a problem if it hung from the middle of the scope.

I wish it had a lanyard that screws into the same hole that the tripod screws into. Wouldn't be
tough to make and include one of those. I will make one for myself I guess.

I would give it 4.5 stars if I could. I rounded it down to 4. I figure it loses a half star due to the
focus knob issue, the eyepiece cover issue, and the no lanyard issue. If these aren't important
to you, then it's 5 star in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great monocular!, June 5, 2014
This is really a great piece. The clarity is amazing, it's very easy to focus and lightweight. It's surprising how much detail you can see from hundreds of yards away from an object. Using it made me feel like I was in that Bugs Bunny cartoon where he reads the entire eye chart and continues on to the fine print below while the eye doctor has to pull out a magnifying glass to read the same thing from only a foot away. A great value for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality, great scope, June 4, 2014
The image is exceptionally clear and vivid. The one-hand focus is smooth and easy, and with the lightweight scope I can use it anywhere, even in wet environments. The tripod is especially handy - small and light, but quick to set up and hold the scope steady. Great for hunting and hiking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Optics for the Deer Hunter, January 2, 2015
I use predominantly for deer hunting. I am very pleased with the product. Clarity and low light capability very acceptable considering price. I did look at a 10x25mm Vortex at a local store. It was nice, but I was concerned about light gathering ability at 25mm. Next step up in Vortex was steeply priced and maxed out at 10x36mm. No regrets with the Polaris Explorer 12x50mm.

I have found a "used" mono-pod at local flea market to use with this monocular. See link for identical product. (http://www.amazon.com/Velbon-UP-400DX-Section-Aluminum-Quick-Release/dp/B002ZQ6UD8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420214951&sr=8-1&keywords=velbon+monopod). 12x magnification is powerful and the mono-pod removes jitter. Mono-pod also removes most of visual movement associated with using a monocular. Deer see movement extremely well.

I also hunt with open sights on occasion. This device is a HUGE positive supplement to hunting with open sights.

The greatest thing about this product is that the optics are good enough to penetrate the edges of the woods around our green fields. This is HUGE.

One of the lens covers is loose. Another reviewer suggested using a small piece of cord to tie the front ocular lens cover to the front objective lens lanyard cover. This worked like a charm and I am grateful for this reviewer's suggestion. I used a heavy weight fishing line to make this connection.

I am an eye glass wearer. I can keep my glasses on and use this product due to good eye relief. Also HUGE!

Good quality product. No regrets. Buy with confidence!

4.0 out of 5 stars very good bird watching tool, July 16, 2014
I'm very pleased with it for the price. It's great for viewing and identifying birds. It focused well at short and moderate distances. At greater distances, it was not able to get a perfectly clear picture. Still, it served it's purpose very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the investment!, December 23, 2014
This is one of those things you just can't pass up. The price is excellent and you get an amazing product. Compared to other monocular it is larger, but it is not too large when compared to binoculars. This was one of the few monocular that had a 50mm lens and an easy adjustment which are both factors in this monocular's size. I tried many other monocular at the store and I wasn't too impressed. I almost bought a 10x25 Vortex but I noticed too much shake, I didn't like the two hand focus adjustment, and the low light was minimal. This Polaris Explorer is night and day over others, even the 8x36 Vortex model that cost more.
It is possible to adjust the knob with one hand but using two hands reduces the shake while spinning the knob. I do not notice much shake if I look through while holding with one hand and I think this is due to the comfortable grip. The low light capability is fantastic! 45 minutes after sunset I was still able to see objects clearly. If it is too dark to see something with your naked eye than this optics won't be picking it up either, but it will pick up objects with ease at night time in my neighbor hood but everyone has street lights and front door lights. The Polaris Explorer is amazing for star gazing at night. It will pick up stars that you can not see with your naked eye. I live in the city and I was only able to see a hand full of stars, but after looking through this I saw hundreds of hidden stars.
I tested the near distance capability and I got clear images at exactly 6 ft. I also went 300 yards away from my house and I could see my front door clearly through this optic. The adjust knob is excellent. When changing distances from near to several hundreds of yards it will take several turns of the knob but when looking at objects within about 50 yards of each other there isn't much spin needed. The adjustment allows for very crisp and clear images. The clarity of this optic is extremely brilliant!
The Polaris Explorer is a BAK4 prism. It does not show this anywhere that I could see online and I was surprised as it is very key in a good optic. Unfortunately I tested the waterproof capability already as it was raining while I was using it during a deer hunt, but noticed no water entry and the anti fogging works very well.
The tripod that is included is small but it is solid. I have a cheap tripod and it falls over easily due to it being all plastic. The tripod that is included is constructed out of metal and is heavier. It is pretty sturdy for being placed on a table. The tripod can also be used as a grip to reduce the shake even more. The optic is made in the USA and is constructed very well. The rubber coating is durable and does not scratch easily. The case is a little large for my liking to be on my belt so I took apart my cheap plastic tripod and made a lanyard so I can carry it around my neck. The smaller lens cap is free from attachment and I have almost lost it a couple of times so I have attached it with a string and has worked well. This optic is shock resistant. I have used it almost daily and carry it on me and it still looks new.
I was on the fence about this purchase for some time. Vortex has similar models with a good reputation. The Orion 10x42 is another good optic that was tempting, but some of the reviews steered me away. The Polaris website is very, very minimal and I was not able to find much about this optic besides the info on amazon. My worry was what would I do if I needed to claim a warranty if the company no longer existed. On amazon they advertise a lifetime, no hassle warranty, and I contacted them and they confirmed that there is a no hassle warranty, no questions asked for the first monocular, but the second one and beyond has a 12 month warranty to prevent abuse of the warranty. Vortex has them here because there warranty from what I understand is infinite and transferable. I like having the lifetime warranty as a piece of mind, but I still handle the optic with care. This optic will last a lifetime if you take care of it and don't drop it and keep the lens caps on when not in use. A lot of websites and blogs say that the 12x power is way too much to handle for a mono or binocular. It may be the case for other brands but not for the Polaris Explorer. My friends and family that uses this optic falls in love with it with one look through it. It produces an amazingly clear image and with a large lens diameter of 50mm; a large field of view is preserved. This is the best optic on the market today. I checked Bass Pro Shop, Dick's Sporting Goods, Academy, Sports Authority, local optic shops, and countless articles online. Plus you can't beat the price for what you get.
Also, all optics with the multi-coated lenses are more sensitive than just a standard glass lens. When cleaning the lens, do not use your shirt or an eye glasses cleaning cloth. They make special material that will not scratch or damage the multi coated lense. The user manual will expand on this.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a great product which I will use for hunting, September 11, 2014
This is a great product which I will use for hunting. There are a couple suggestions that could make it better.
1. it would be good if there was an interchangeable hand-strap attached to assist in holding it (interchangeable so it works for lefties and righties)

2. it comes will a tripod which is great. For more stability depending on terrain, it would be good to have a telescopic single point that can be pushed into the earth and that can reach 4 feet or so (something like a walking stick that it can mount on). Perhaps this already exists.

Otherwise, a great quality product that I'm happy with.