4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value
I actually ruined my camera using this thing... and I'm STILL going to give it 4 stars.

Published on June 2, 2012 by J. Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great
It's kind of hard to press the button once this is inside. And to try to press hard and hold the camera still under water was very difficult. It definitely did not get the camera wet. You definitely can't use a flash because it catches the glare of the plastic. we did take a couple really clear photos so it can be done. I will try to post some of them.

So for...
Published on July 26, 2011 by sarahl

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, June 2, 2012

Word to the wise: take the wrist strap off your camera before you use this case. I used this thing everyday in Hawaii and really liked the results. I got a little too comfortable taking my camera in and out of the housing and one day the strap got stuck in the seam and I didn't notice. Since it had worked fine for several days I also got too lax about checking before dunking. DAMN -- small leak and about 5 minutes later... the camera is dead. :( I felt like a moron when I saw what I had done. I was confident it wouldn't happen again, so I took the strap off my back-up camera and used it for the rest of the week w/o any problem.

So, besides that major oops, the case was easy to use and yielded some great pics in the water and underwater where otherwise we would have had zero pictures. The rigid case made it easy to hold in the water and the soft plastic was perfect for pressing buttons. For $20 this was a great find.

Some tips for getting the best results:

- make sure to use the foam inserts and/or something else to make sure the camera lens is as close as possible to the front of the housing. You will also want to make sure it is as near to the top of the housing as possible (if you need to access the buttons on the top of your camera.)

- make sure camera rests perpendicular in the case. A slanted camera will produce more glare.

- turn off these settings: quick power save mode, focus assist, flash. Note -- others say flash worked with their camera, but I didn't like the results (and didn't really need the flash where I was.)

- Turn your LCD brightness up as high as it will go.

- shots underwater will look best with the "aquarium" setting if you have it on your camera. Otherwise, use a color correction afterwards to minimize the blue tones.

- remove camera strap (see above.)

- always check the seal!

NOTE: cameras with push button rocker zooms and one-push video buttons will give you more shooting options. I was able to get some great video with this thing. Also, cameras with touch-screen controls can be a little problematic as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great buy for the money, June 28, 2011
This review is from: Polaroid Dive-Rated Waterproof Camera Housing For The Nikon Coolpix L22, L24, L26, L28, S3100, S3000, S3100, S3300, S4000, S4100, S4300, S5100, S5200, S6000, S6100, S6200, S6300, S6400, S6500, S01, S80, S70, S220, S230, S620, S640 Digital Cameras (Electronics)
Just used this housing for my Nikon Coolpix s6000 on a Caribbean trip. It's easy to place the camera into the housing, and it seems like it would fit most small point-and-shoots. The clear portion of the housing is a thick, pliable plastic that allows you to push the shutter button pretty easily. I was also able to operate a few menu controls on the back of the camera, to switch to video for instance. It took good pictures snorkeling at shallow depths; the package said it's good to 30 feet, but I didn't go to that depth. No leaks, though. One criticism: I had to turn off the flash, because the flash reflects off the plastic housing and fogs the picture. But at shallow depths, the flash wasn't as important. Much better than disposables, particular for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Last minute Hawaii camera case, October 30, 2011
I bought this case as a last minute thing, 4 days prior to my departure to Hawaii. It arrived just in time. Having no knowledge of underwater camera cases, I tested it out in a sink full of water. This product works! I was blown away actually. This camera case was so useful on a shark cage dive where the seas were pretty rough, snorkeling, and kayaking. I could easily push the buttons on my Nikon cool pix S6100. Change the settings from movie to picture with ease. Definitely recommended, but always test it out first. In terms of the picture quality, the underwater ones turned out great. No fogginess at all. Probably the only foggy pictures were those when I was kayaking and that was because I didn't clean the outer surface covered in water drops.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice invention, July 7, 2011
Could not try it scubadiving so far, but it seems a decent product. On my canon A3000 I could use all the buttons but could not use the turning mode button, so it was basically either I choose to dive taking pictures OR taking videos, but could not switch from one to another. So for the price it's a very fine product but if you want to enjoy all the functions of a camera, all the buttons need to be pressue button and not rotating. Flash coud go through decently and detectors worked fine for this camera model. This product can also serve as an anti shock and sand protection for your camera. I wish just it had a useful wrist strap included, but it's okay! Enjoy your vacation and your scuba experience!

4.0 out of 5 stars Waterproof case!!, June 28, 2012
This case makes amazingly clear photos but the only thing is that cameras with a turn wheel as a zoom cant zoom. So no you cant zoom underwater no water gets in and there's little sponges to calibrate the camera so it wont move in the case. Also its hard to press the button but its something you can get used to. Overall amazing product but there are some cons. Takes amazing pictures and videos underwater!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for snorkeling, January 2, 2012
I bought this to use with my Canon Powershot A3100 IS for a Bahama vacation. The case kept my camera perfectly dry. I was able to turn on/off the camera in the case without having to open it up and also zoom in/out. The case does not come with a strap but I just switched the one on the camera to the case when using it. You can not use the flash in the case due to the glare but it took decent enough photos without the flash. As an added bonus, the case floats. So no accidentally dropping your camera to the bottom. Overall I am very satisfied with this product, especially at its reasonable price range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect!, December 17, 2012
Great underwater camera case! I used this on my recent trip to St. Thomas USVI. It worked wonders. Snorkeling pictures came out pretty clear, videos looked just fine and picture taking was simple. At first I though it was going to be a bear to use and lug around, but completely the opposite. Once the foam padding (included) were cut to perfection the camera handled great inside the case. I have some really nice reef pictures and videos to share with the rest of the family. The great part is it converted a perfect point and shoot to an underwater camera for $20! No need to buy two separate cameras anymore! I was thoroughly impressed which is somewhat hard to do.

One thing to mention; some pictures are not amazingly clear. I think it could use a bit more engineering such as putting in a hard lens cap for more clarity and rigidity. It seems at high depths (20-30 ft) the air inside the case was compressed causing an inward deformation of the lens outlet making the pictures a little blurry. In all I would recommend this case for snorkeling or diving from 0 to 20 ft. I can't wait to take it out in the surf soon!

P.S. I had a Sony WX150 camera. It fit perfect! I will try to post some pictures. Worth every penny in my book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Too small for the Nikon L22, but great for a Canon Powershot, July 7, 2011
We got this for our Nikon L22 - it was a little too snug for that camera. However, we put an old Canon Powershot in it and it worked great! We got a lot of great pictures while snorkeling during our honeymoon. One suggestion - make sure your flash is off. The pictures are a lot clearer with the flash off.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good value for the money, August 16, 2011
Left Coast film lover "Erik" (Diamond Bar, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This is an inexpensive, simple alternative to buying a waterproof digital camera. I used this with a Canon SD790, and it worked well for vacation pictures (snorkeling in Hawaii). The design appears to work with any Canon camera in this size range, and even worked with a cheap Polaroid digital point and shoot camera. I was able to get good images with this cover on my camera that are somewhat better than you could expect from a disposable 35mm underwater camera. There was zero leakage, and the camera did well with video and still images. You can turn the camera on and off and operate the shutter with the case on. You can also access the buttons on the back, but it can be a bit of a challenge. Some have mentioned that you cannot switch between video and images while the case is on. Yes, this is true, but seriously, what do you expect for $20? You also cannot expect documentary-type footage with this. If you want cable-tv-like images, plan on spending thousands of dollars for your equipment (a point-and-shoot will not do). If you go snorkeling on vacation and just want some nice images and video while keeping your camera dry and safe (it is more rugged than the pouch type covers), this is a great solution.

4.0 out of 5 stars It works!, June 21, 2011
I have got this underwater camera case for my son, who was looking for a waterproof protection, more than a real underwater camera housing for diving. The housing looks nice and it feels good in the hands. The yellow frame helps holding the housing firmly. It's easy to operate all the controls of the camera.
Opening and closing the housing requires time, but that's not an operation you'll be doing frequently.
The only "negative" thing is the front lens, which is made by the same material of the housing and looks like prone to scratching (suggestion:keep the transparent part of the packaging and use it as a protection, when you carry the housing in your beach bag).
Considering the price and the alternatives around, it's a sure bet.

Rate and Discover Movies