Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amethyst Jewelry Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

Please note that my review is for the XS100, not the XS100i which has WiFi. For some reason the seller has put my review of the XS100 under both the XS100 and the XS110i product which is confusing to people.

---

The Polaroid XS100 impressed me in many ways with its image quality and usability. My video review will cover most everything but I'll highlight a few things here.

I also own the GoPro Hero3 Black. Although the video quality of the Polaroid isn't quite as good as the GoPro, it's pretty darn good especially when you take the price into consideration. In fact, unless you were able to directly compare the GoPro video to the Polaroid video in a direct A-B comparison, as I was able to do, you'd think the Polaroid quality was excellent... and it is very good indeed, just the colors are a bit off (I've included still photo from the Polaroid and one from my GoPro to illustrate the color issue at the end of my video review) and overall image sharpness is not quite as good as the GoPro. The GoPro has higher resolution video options but when you compare similar resolutions between the GoPro and the Polaroid SX100, the Polaroid definitely holds its own. And in fact, the Polaroid seems to have superior low-light performance. And the Polaroid has image stabilization that the GoPro lacks. That can make a very significant difference in the viewing experience having image stabilization.

Here are some of the specs:
1200 mAh built-in battery giving just over 2 hours of recording time.
170 degree wide angle lens
Video resolutions - 1080p, 960p, 720p 30fps/60fps
Still image resolutions - 16MB, 5MB, 3MB, VGA
Still image has 10x burst mode or singe shot mode
Time Lapse: one frame each 5, 10, 30 or 60 seconds

I've used the time lapse mode to get some awesome sky/cloud videos. You have to set this mode via the software interface when connected to your computer.

Other than changing between HD and FHD video mode, you must make all other changes via a software interface when the camera is connected to your computer. Obviously this could pose challenges if you're in the woods mountain biking and don't have access to a computer. The GoPro on the other hand lets you change all settings from the camera directly because it has a LCD screen which the Polaroid lacks.

I'm not thrilled with the software that accompanies the Polaroid. PC software (polaroid.exe) installs itself from the camera to your memory card but Mac users will have to visit the Polaroid website to download the application and then add the application to their memory card. The software interface is the same for both MAC and PC and my video will walk you through the various settings available to you. It's a very basic and clunky kind of interface but it gets the job done I guess.

Another feature the camera has is that when connected to an HDTV with the provided HDMI cable, a menu automatically pops up on the screen and you can preview, playback, and delete files or format the MicroSD card through your TV screen. I found this very difficult to use however and it's so flakey I rarely use it. But if you can figure it out, it does come in handy at times.

Polaroid has included a decent, although somewhat flimsy set of mounts for attaching the camera to your handlebar and helmet.

What's very cool is that the camera creates dual-files when recording. One of the files is a much lower resolution "thumbnail" file and that's pretty handy if you want to send smaller file versions of your exploits via email or for quick web uploads.

A feature that the Polaroid has that even the GoPro does not have is a G-sensor. This auto-rotates the image so if you need to mount the camera "upside-down" the image is automatically oriented correctly without having to go into the software prior to shooting to change it. This is something the GoPro does not do and I can't tell you how many times I've viewed video from my GoPro only to discover that it's upside down or sideways. This is not an issue with the Polaroid XS100.

You can turn off the auto-rotation for those situations where it would not be desirable to have the camera auto-rotate the image.

Please note that some others have incorrectly described how the auto-rotation works. To clarify: the auto rotation only corrects itself for the initial orientation of the camera when it is first turned on. Changing the orientation of the camera after recording has begun DOES NOT cause the camera to correct the orientation. It's also important to know that the reduced resolution file that the camera creates in addition to the full resolution file, is NOT auto-rotated, ever.

The anti-vibration feature of the camera is outstanding and extremely effective. GoPro does not have anti-vibration at all and it really helps as my video shows. It smooths out bumpy roads that otherwise would show up in the video as jitters.

The camera is waterproof up to 30 feet with no additional housing needed. Cool. As anyone who has used a GoPro knows, once your GoPro is in the waterproof housing, the audio recording is basically worthless. The Polaroid doesn't need an additional housing and audio recording quality is much better because of that.

The camera has some haptic feedback and vibrates to let you know that it has begun or stopped recording and there is a small LED indicating same.

The camera build quality is OK but does not necessarily give you the impression of being 100% bullet-proof. Of particular concern is the plastic threads for the tripod/mounts. These could easily strip if accidentally cross-threaded or overtightened. The back cover that is removed to gain access to the USB, HDMI ports, microSD card slot and HD/FHD switch is a little flimsy feeling and not that easy to open and close. Fortunately you don't need to open or close it very often.

You can put up to a 32GB memory card in the camera... it will not support more than that. Although the user guide suggest at least Class 6, I'd suggest you get Class 10 for optimal read/write speeds. At the rate of 4GB per half-hour, a 32GB card will record full high definition (FHD) video for approximately 4-hours (1080p@30 fps or 720p@60 fps)

PROS:
-Great quality HD video
-Excellent anti-vibration
-Pretty good audio quality
-Extended recording time of up to slightly over 2 hours on a single charge
-An excellent set of features some of which aren't even on a GoPro Hero 3 Black

CONS:
-no ability to swap batteries since the battery is built-in.
-tripod mount has plastic threads which could strip easily if overtightened or cross-threaded
-the dome covering the lens can cause halos around the video in certain lighting situations.
-some of the included mounting parts don't seem very durable
-very clunky interface when connecting camera to HDTV
-you cannot change most camera settings unless connected to your computer

Overall the XS100 is a LOT of fun to use and captures fantastic video and still shots. The price is right and you get a lot of camera for the money.

I was provided a sample for review.
5757 comments732 of 752 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is a relatively inexpensive entry into the "Action Camera" market - that takes fairly good video, and is worthwhile once you get used to it, but it is not entirely intuitive. After playing around with this for nearly a month, I think I'm pretty familiar with it, and will describe what I like and don't like about it in some detail below. I hope that all this detail is helpful. I do have experience with some of the higher-end action camcorders out there, so I'm basing my description in part on knowing what's possible. Still, this is significantly less expensive than most similar items out there, and still does a pretty good job.

The video -

As I'll explain below there are a few, fixable, bugs in the software, and it's not entirely intuitive in its button design. Once you get through the hurdle of figuring it out (or, if you don't care about changing settings and ignore the software entirely), you can record fairly good photos and video with it. As far as that goes, the story is pretty good. The video is actually surprisingly good quality. It's not as sharp and has more contrast, and, obviously, a lot less flexibility than what I get on my Canon HD camcorder - but that cost more than four times what this cost. It's better than what you could get with, say, many standard camcorders in the same price range or for even some camcorders I've tried at double the price. The sound recording is not bad, too, and the advantage over most standard low-end camcorders is the more rugged build and the more flexible mounting options that come with this. It's really aimed for those who want to shoot surfing and underwater and skiing and skating and BMX and motorcycle or mountain biking (more my style) footage, but don't want to shell out the cash for a GoPro or a Drift camcorder. In terms of form and function, it's a lot like the Contour Action cameras, which I haven't tried so I can't compare the quality of the footage directly, but I have seen some of it online and for most purposes I expect this would serve the same needs. Like I said, it's waterproof up to 10 meters right out of the box - I haven't tried it at 10 meters, but I have taken it to the beach and done some shooting from a few feet under the water and it works just fine.

Setting up-

First off, you need a microSD card in order to record much on here. When you turn on the Polaroid, it recognizes the card and installs some software on it, which is necessary in order to adjust the settings on the camera.

When you plug it in to a computer via the included USB cable, the microSD card appears as an external HD or Flash memory device, and if you open it up you'll see a folder labelled "DCIM" where the camera writes any photographic or video files you record with the camera. You'll also see the PC software that you can use to change settings. If you are on a Mac, you need to go to Polaroidaction dot com in order to get the Mac software.

Here's where it gets tricky ... I'm on a Mac, and I followed instructions exactly in order to reformat and set up my card for recording. I downloaded the Mac software and installed it on my card, but when I opened the software it would say that the camera wasn't connected - when it was. After contacting support, who told me I should try again what I'd already tried several times, I finally had the bright idea to open up the camera on my television via the included HDMI cord. The television software gives you the option to format the card, and when I had done that I was finally able to open up the camera using the Mac software. One funny thing I noticed once I'd done so: there's actually no way to format the card through the Mac or PC software (I tried that out on a computer at work). As far as I can tell, the only way to format the card specifically for the Polaroid camera is through a television.

I read all of the other reviews here to see if anyone had mentioned this problem and can't see any that did - but as of this posting I can't see that anyone else even mentions using the software. Anyhow, once you get the software running, it's fairly simple and what it allows you to do is set various settings. You can specify whether you want to shoot video in PAL or NTSC, you can set the date and time, and you can set the shooting resolution. There's a switch on the back of the camera that allows you to shoot in "FHD" or "HD" and you need to software to designate whether you want FHD to mean 1080P or 960P, and whether you want HD to mean 720P60fps or 720p30fps. You can also determine what resolution photos you want it to take (16MP, 5MP, 3MP, or VGA) and whether you want the photo mode to be "single shot" "burst" (10 shots in a second) or "time lapse" (which can be set through the software to shoot at 5, 10, 30 or 60 second intervals).

Using the camera, and design-issues-

The camera is designed to be very simple to use, and streamlined in its function. There's a lens in front, a removable cap in the back, that when sealed protects everything so that you can even shoot underwater. There a slider button and another button on top. There's also an indicator light that is either green or red, and a vibrating buzz that also indicates a change of status.

The two buttons each serve different functions, and the indicator light has different meanings. That's streamlining at work. The problem is that they're not entirely intuitive and so you have to read the instructions and get to know them before you can feel fully confident that you are shooting properly.

Basically, once it's charged (via the USB cord) and set up with a microSD card, you're ready to shoot. You can turn it on by sliding the slide button from STOP to REC - and the light will turn on and flash while it's setting up and then turn red. That means it's recording. If you want to turn it on without recording, you have to slide the button to REC and then back to STOP quickly. Then the green light goes on indicating it's on, but not recording. Then, to record, you need to slide the slider forward to REC and leave it there until you're done and then slide it back to stop recording. When it's in STOP position and not recording, you can shoot a photo by pressing and releasing the power button. If you press and hold the power button for a couple seconds, the camera turns off. Each change of state, from on to off, from off to on, from stop to record, and from record to stop, and as an indicator that a photo has been recorded, brings a short vibration and a flash of the light. Lights flashing from red to green indicates some kind of error - like I kept getting before I figured out that I had to format the card via the television - even though I was able to record video to the card before I had actually formatted it.

One other problem I had with the camera was when I hooked it up to the computer once and turned it on it seemed to freeze. I couldn't turn it off or on, I couldn't record, I couldn't do anything. The green light was on, indicating the unit was on, but it was totally unresponsive. I even tried resetting with a pin in the reset button and it didn't do anything. I've had the same kind of thing happen to me with my Drift HD170 camcorder once, and with that one I just unplugged it and removed the battery and put it back in and it was fine. With this one, there's no way to remove the battery, so I literally just had to leave it overnight until the battery drained. The next morning the light was off and the battery dead. I charged it up fully before turning it on again and it was just fine. That's why I prefer removable batteries - another reason is that as soon as this battery stops accepting charge after several years this item will be no longer useful. I don't worry about that too much, though, because by that time I expect there will be something much better at the same price, which is the way of these things nowadays.

What comes in the box -

1. You get the camera, which already has a non-removable battery built in. The camera has a screw off lid in the back that covers the input ports for a micro-SD card (not included), a mini HDMI input (included is a standard HDMI to mini HDMI adapter), and a mini-USB cord (included is a standard mini-USB to USB cord). There's also a little cord that secures to the bottom of the camera for a handstrap, and a mini-caribiner clip that would fit onto a keychain or belt loop.

2. You get a clip plate that screws into the bottom of the camera, in a 1/4" threaded mount that can also fit onto any standard tripod or other standard mount.

3. The clip plate clips into one of two mounts, each of which has a little ball head that, in turn, fits into one or the other of two separate bases. The ball head allows it to be angled as you like or need it, so that you can orient this thing according to the needs of a particular shoot.

4. One of the bases is intended to secure to the handlebar of a bike or any other bar of comparable size. I mounted it to the emergency brake in my car, for example. The other base secures to a strap, and the kit comes with two separate straps, one that's about 3' long and one about 6' long. With the straps, you could secure the base to just about anything: a motorcycle helmet, a car's bumper or bike rack, or a surfboard or skateboard.

5. It also comes with a pack of two-sided 3M sticker mounts that can be used to secure one of the mounts anywhere you like.

In summary- This works just fine out of the box, as far as I can tell. If you want to adjust the settings and take advantage of different photo or video modes, you need to figure out how to make the software work. I think the trick of formatting the card through a television is likely to be the best place to start - and it's just a defect in the manual that they don't mention that. The buttons are a bit trickier than they really should be for such a seemingly simple and streamlined device, but if you read the manual it's easy enough to figure out how they work. The video is pretty good and the sound is usable for most purposes. For what it is, I think, the price is fair. For better video you'd need to pay more than twice as much, and go with a Drift Ghost or a GoPro. In a nutshell: this is a useful, low-end action camera, with a few bugs that can be worked around.

Note: I was provided this unit by the manufacturer for the purpose of testing and review.
33 comments151 of 162 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This Amazon listing combines Polaroid cameras with and without Wifi. My reivew is is for Polaroid XS100 (the option without Wi Fi).

This 6 oz video camera is fun to use and produced pretty good video. I am attaching a video taken with the camera and 6 photos of the camera itself to illustrate my review.

I took Polaroid XS100 camera with me on a weekend trip and recorded video snippets through the entire day. I made about 2 hours of recording (on a single charge battery charge). The attached video contains four clips took during this trip in various lighting conditions.

✔ Driving in the car
Note when the sun hits the camera you can see a bit of a halo from the dome that covers the lens. The anti-vibration feature of the camera is very effective in the car.

✔ In bright day light
Excellent color and sharpness especially when the sun is behind

✔ Inside a store
Worked well in a small quarters and fairly dim lighting

✔ At night
Very good low-light performance. The anti-vibration feature of the camera is not effective for larger scale shakes which is the results of the bobbing camera during a walk.

The camera has 170 degree wide angle lens. I used Class 6 MicroSD card. F2.8 Fixed Focus Lens focused well and performed well in low light. My video was shot as 960p.

Video options are:
1080p: 1920x1080p / 30FPS / 16:9
960p: 1280X960P / 30FPS / 4:3
720p:1280x720 / 60FPS (Slow Motion) / 16:9
720p: 1280x720 / 30FPS/ 16:9

Photo options are:
Resolutions 16MP, 5MP, 3MP, VGA
Photo Mode: Single / Burst (x10) / Time Lapse (5,10,30,60)

The camera records two formats of files at once - full size and low-resolution "thumbnail" video, which is useful for sharing.
My full size video was generated in .mov format. I converted it to .mp4 for editing with my Linux-based video editing tools.

The 6 photo collage I will be referencing below can be located by following 'customer photos' link under the main photo.
The first photo shows everything that comes in the package: the camera, the pouch, HDMI cable, and a large number of mounts and sticky pads.

The camera is water tight up to 30 feet. The lens is covered with a dome (see photo #5), the back has a water tight lock (see photo #4). Photo #3 shows the back of the camera with the cover off. The top slot is for micro sd card, below is HDMI port, below it the charging port, to the left the selection for video format, on the right the reset hole.

Note: I had trouble turning on the camera for the first time after charging, but pushing the reset button fixed the problem and the camera turned on.

The video camera is operated by two buttons on the top of the camera (see photo 4). The long button with dots control video recording. And the smaller button in front is used to turn on the video camera on and off (with a slight hold) or take still pictures (with a light press without any hold).

Photo #6 shows the bottom of the camera where various mounts attach. The mounting screw is plastic and one has to be careful not to strip it with a metal mount.

Photo#2 shows the camera on 1 inch gridded mat for size reference. The camera weights 6 oz. It is 4 inches long, and the lens portion is 1 3/8 inches in diameter. The pouch has a Velcro closing, and it is possible to put the camera into the pouch even when it is attached to a mount.

Other starting and setting, the only setting you can change directly from the camera is the format (HD or FHD). To change other settings you need to connect the camera to the PC (Mac or Windows) and use the Polaroid software. For example, if you wanted to set the camera to take pictures on a certain interval. This requires you to pre-plan what you will do on each trip unless you can take a laptop with you. I wish I could control more things directly from the camera, but that would probably have made the camera larger.

If you have Windows-based PC Polaroid.exe is automatically installed from the camera into the micro sd card when you connect PC for the computer for the first time. If ou have a Mac you need to down load the software by from the web site (note that web site name is polaroidaction-dot-com (not polaroid-dot-com). Because my primary operating system is Linux the software did not get installed automatically and I needed to download Windows executable from the web site. The file name you download from the website is called setting_win.exe (not polaroid.exe as the file that is automatically installed).

The camera comes with HDMI cable that allows you to view and manage the content of your MicroSD card on your TV. However, I found that for me it easier to remove the MicroSD card and place manage it from the computer.

Polaroid camera comes with gravity sensor G-Sensor, which auto rotates the image even if you mount to the camera upside down. It is not totally fool proof as one of my video was recorded side ways. I must have rotated it after I turn the camera on but did not realize it. But the rest of around 30 videos were perfectly oriented.

Audio recording worked, but recorded audio sounds fairly low compared to my other video camera.

I was provided a sample for a review be it positive or negative, and I tried to cover both the positives and negatives of my experience.

Overall, I thought it was a fun camera to use and I thought it produced pretty good results.

Ali Julia review
22 comments144 of 157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 21, 2013
Very happy with the performance and video quality for the week I got to use it. Made a few cool videos riding motorcycles with my son. Unfortunately, the little plastic clip that mounts on the camera broke. There are small plastic "wings" that you have to squeeze to snap it onto the various mounts, and one side snapped off when un-mounting it. Very thin, fragile plastic. The camera is now unusable. I called Polaroid to see if they could send me a new plastic clip. I even offered to pay for it. Their response was for me to contact the company I bought it from and return the entire camera and accessories for a new replacement! Seems a bit drastic for a small plastic accessory, and a bit surprising that Polaroid would refer me back to a vendor instead of attempting to get their own product right.
77 comments87 of 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2014
The short and sweet of it is that I think this camera is good quality and well worth the money but you need to be somewhat technically savvy and have some patience to work through the manual and various program/app interfaces.

I have only had the xs100i for a few days and recorded about 1.5 hours of video with the camera mounted on the handlebars of my motorcycle. I'll update my review going forward.

Video quality - very good
So far I only shot 720p, 60fps. It was a sunny day and I did not see the `halo' as described by other reviewers. When heading straight towards the sun you do get some lens flare but if anything that's a cool effect and not distracting at all. The V-twin engine definitely makes my whole bike vibrate, including the handlebars, but the camera filters those vibrations out nicely. There is only so much the camera can handle so on local bumpy roads the video does get jittery. On the highway and smoother roads though the image is solid, clear and a feast for the eyes. And the picture looks even better on my 60" hdtv than on my PC/monitor.

Audio quality - surprisingly good
From an underwater camera you'd expect a sound as if the microphone is stuck in a Tupperware container filled with cotton balls and to be honest the audio is a little muffled so don't take it to your kid's piano/violin recital unless the kid sucks. It's not dolby surround - let's listen to the twittering birds by the mountain stream - type off sound but for what the camera is meant for the microphone and sound are great. This is an ACTION cam and even on the highway doing 70+ there is hardly any wind distortion which is simply amazing. It picks up the low rumble of the bike nicely and (with the engine off) it records voices accurately too.

Setup and Settings - fairly easy once you know how
The manual is pretty limited and doesn't provide clear step-by-step instructions to get the camera up and running. All the components for doing so are available though, but they're just not in a logical order. I charged the camera first and then inserted the (32GB class 10) memory card. Going by the reviews I read, I then connected the camera to the TV and formatted the memory card. The TV interface is pretty spartan but at least the manual does give you a decent step-by-step to format the memory card and it also gives you a feeling for when to single or double click or long press the power button as that is the only button used to navigate. As there is only 1 button to navigate, you can imagine that the choices in the TV menu a very limited. After formatting the memory card and messing around with the preview mode a bit (shows live picture from the camera on the TV), I hooked the camera up to the PC (again as properly described in the manual). The little settings program on the memory card is limited but it does everything it should do and I had no problems setting video and photo preferences and date/time. Settings were saved properly and the camera was good to go.

Wi-Fi and Android Apps - not very polished but they work
For Android there are 2 apps that work with your camera: "File" and "Remote".
- The first is so you can copy files from the camera to you android device. It creates a separate folder on your device's internal storage (called "Polaroid") which is where you can find your transferred files. Because of this separate folder, the files do not automatically show up in my Gallery app on the phone and I had to access the files though my File Manager app. The video files (.MOV) don't automatically play on Android but MoboPlayer (3rd party app) has no problem with playing these files. The File app's interface is again spartan and I struggled a bit to get the wifi connections up and running. For me it worked best to first disconnect the phone from my home wifi and then let the File app connect to the camera's wifi first and then to the home wifi (again the manual is sufficient in its instructions of these steps). It might take some trial and error but when the links were established it worked fine. I don't see myself copying 3GB-size files to my phone but for the smaller clips and the photos this app works fine.
- The Remote app will show you the live stream of the camera's picture with a second or so delay. Definitely good enough to check if the camera is lined up right. Other than that, the app lets you change the camera's settings and it worked fine. This app is definitely handy if you're away from a PC and want to change some settings on the fly. With the standard setting you can switch between 720p, 60fps and 1080p, 30fps and take stills. I didn't change the video settings but for the photos I selected 5MP (I think the image sensor is only 5MP anyway) and time-lapse with 5 second intervals. With these photo settings I figured I can still use the camera for a single shot (just turn the camera off after 1 time-lapse shot) or take out redundant time-lapse shots later on, on the PC if I want to make a 1 minute interval series for instance. The only thing you'd need the app for then is to switch to burst photo mode if you want. The whole idea of these cameras is to `set and forget' and not to change settings every other shot so this app is a nice extra if you're away from a PC for a longer period of time (like on vacation) but I wouldn't expect to use it more than once or twice a day.

Video/Audio files - strange file and format choices
The fact that the camera creates .MOV files is nice for anybody on the Apple Mac/iPhone platforms but not so handy for PC / Android users. As reported by many other reviewers, the files play without sound if you don't have the right programs and or codecs. For the PC, suitable programs would be Quicktime or VLC Media Player and for Android it's Moboplayer. From Amazon UK I found the following fix to install the missing codecs on the PC and it works: "So the fix I found for playing in WMP is to install the extra codecs from here: [...]". A great added benefit is that with the codec pack installed, you can also edit the MOV videos in Windows Movie maker. With Movie Maker you can then save the video as MP4 or WMV files but alas, the sound will still not play on other devices/PCs.
I use AviDeMux on the PC to convert the MOVs (or edited video MP4/WMV) to MP4 and MKV files with the right audio codec. Without making this an Avidemux turorial; the trick is that the video codec can stay untouched (.h264) but that the audio codec needs to be changed from IMA ADPCM (Ima4) to the much more generally used AAC for the MP4 container (file extension) or to AC3 for the MKV container. I play the MP4s on my tablet/phone and the MKVs on my TV through my media player (Micca EP600).

Accessories - good quality and lots of them but replacements?
The accessories that come with the camera work fine and I think it's a nice selection of straps, brackets and sticky pads etc. I have only used the handlebar bracket and that works as it should, no problems. In the reviews I have seen, some people complain about replacement accessories not being available for sale in case something breaks and I think that's a fair point because this is an action cam after all and accidents happen and stuff breaks. I saw that the accessories for the ION AIR PRO cameras look identical to the ones for the xs100i (in fact the ION AIR Pro 2 camera looks A LOT like the xs100i) and I posted a question on Amazon whether anybody has tried them out on the xs100i. So far nobody has actually tried them but ION has a nice selection of accessory packs on their website (ioncamera dot com) and on Amazon too so if any of mine break then I'll try them out first thing (and post back here of course).

Build quality - solid
The camera looks/feels sturdy to me and the replacement lens cover dome is only $10 so that's not a big investment to keep the image nice and clear. I read people are worried and complain about the plastic threads on the camera wearing out. I don't see myself screwing and unscrewing the locking piece on and off the camera all that often (or ever) so once it's on and tight I'd suggest you leave it alone. For people that have the need to use the threads often (I guess switching to tripods etc.) and in case they do wear out, you might want to try a metal thread insert before you throw away the camera, like you can find on Amazon: E-Z Lok Threaded Insert Brass, Knife Thread, 1/4"-20 Internal Threads, 0.500" Length, Made in US (Pack of 25)
The 25 pack is $7.50 so I'd say that's worth a shot but at the local hardware store they might sell them for a quarter a piece... I haven't had the need for it but I would definitely try it before scrapping a 179 dollar camera.

Conclusion
It's a great camera for the price. The manual and different user interfaces (TV, PC, Apps) aren't the slickest or the most intuitive but they do what they're supposed to do. Operating the camera itself is as easy as it gets and picture and sound quality are very good. It's the other interfaces that will probably confuse people who are used to and need iPhone-like, dummy-proof programs/apps but if you are slightly (technically) savvy and have some patience, you'll get these to do what you want. This is the reason why this camera sells for $179 and not for $549, which is what you would pay for an `Apple iCam' with half the specs (if it existed).

The video files should have been created in a more universal `container', ie. in a file format like .MP4 instead of .MOV and the same goes for the audio format (Ima4) that's the cause for the files playing without audio in most video players. I hope this is something that will be addressed in future firmware updates but I doubt it. In the meantime file conversions will solve the issue although it is an extra hassle.
44 comments18 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 1, 2013
I bought a Here3 Black Edition for over $400, but let me tell you it was a piece of junk. No, seriously. The video was choppy and finally the camera stopped working. Anyway, being very disappointed with the GoPro( I returned it, of course; and customer service sucks) I started looking around at other action cams, and I was very surprised to discover there are so many other manufacturers out there offering similar products.
I checkout out JVC, Contour, Drift, you name it. I finally settled for this Polaroid. It seemed like a great little camera, with decent performance for the buck. The image quality is pretty good, and the videos are fluid (720HD @ 60fps). The software however, which you have to download from their website is not very polished. Speaking of software, if you rename your microSD card anything else other than "NO NAME" the software won't recognized it and you won't be able to start the application(at least not on OS X); so make sure that the card you use with the camera is named "NO NAME". Also, if you look at the credits section for the OS X app you'll see some funny things there :)

Now, things I don't like about the camera: the battery is not replaceable and the number of choices when it comes to accessories is quite limited. But at least the camera comes with a handlebar and helmet mounts.

Overall, I thinks it's a 5 start product.
22 comments54 of 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 30, 2014
The camera is great when it work, however, the problem is that it powers down for no apparent reason. Formatting the SD card sometimes helped, other times, it had no effect. So sometimes it stays on for 5 seconds, other times it will record for 15 minutes. Customer support hasn't been very helpful so far either.
Finally got a new 32GB micro SD card and this one seems to be more stable. Haven't had power off issues so far.

Videos are split into 2.7 to 3.8GB files each automatically. I'm not sure why the time of the clip varies as well as the file size. That's not a problem. The problem is that the time stamps are bogus. You set the time using their program and it tells you to unplug the camera after you update the time. It sometimes seems to work for a few moments, but other times it still changes the date and time. So you can't search or tell when you recorded anything.
The other issue I just had with the recent recording was that one of the clips was rotate 90°. I had the camera on my handle bars and the bike was upright when I turned on the recording, and all the other clips came out properly, so why did the one rotate I have no idea.
Want to like the camera, but for the price the unpredictability is a pain.
on October 13, 2013
Hi,
I bought one of these Polaroid XS100 sports camera because I wanted to capture all the fun I have on a mountain bike or skiing for later enjoyment.

Wasn't sure which one to try out, there are so many on the market these days but this one was getting good reviews and had more features than the more expensive ones so I got one.

So far, it's really neat.

Pros:
- Nice, compact, waterproof design.
- Sturdy feel, weighty but not too heavy to mount on your helmet.
- Configuration software included on the device itself so you can set it up as you like when you plug it into your computer.
- Expandable micro SD card slot for up to 32 GB of data.
- 30 minutes of recording uses about 3.4 gigabytes of card space so I'm guessing the 32GB card would be good for hours.
- Crystal clear recording in .MOV format so it's easy to export to Mac or Windows. (Although Windows Media player didn't play the sound. Didn't bother troubleshooting it but Quicktime for Windows played the video with sound.)
- Seems like the mic is shielded with foam or whatever to dampen the sound of wind as you travel while recording. That's nice.
- Can take still shots as well as video.
- Vibrating indicator vibrates when you start or stop recording or when battery is low or memory is full. (If it's mounted on your helmet you can (sorta) feel it vibrate)

Cons:
- Plastic mount bolt where it attaches to a tripod. If the threads get stripped or damaged, I'm in trouble.
- Had to use the reset button to make it stop vibrating. (A signal used to indicate camera status) Might have been my fault but it hasn't done it since.
- White color? What's up with that? Black or dark gray would have been better. Silver?
- In direct sunlight the bubble lens creates unfortunate optical images in the videos which might otherwise not be there if they had used a flat lens. Maybe the solution is to use a flat lens?

Anyhow, I always recommend people to get camera devices, especially for little kids.
It's so fun to look back on your life in pictures or videos.
I predict some day as an old guy I'll reminisce on past days while watching my fun videos.

A few drawbacks of the camera:
- The microphone is subject to a lot of wind noise which detracts from the video. Other cameras have the microphone on the back so you don't get much wind noise at all.
- It is a little big and heavy to be in a bike helmet but it does work if you mount it flat on the helmet and don't use the mount included.
- Remember, it's not an expensive camera so if it's missing features, too big or whatever; it fits into the scope of price range for features, size and performance.

Try one.
I haven't taken mine under water but I will. (Insert Jaws music and my wife in the pool)
That should be a hoot lol

PS The video I posted lost nearly ALL the quality you'll see on your computer. Looks like the Amazon video thing compressed it and it's now heavily pixelated.
on July 7, 2014
It's great when it works. I've run into a problem with it freezing in the middle of recording (and then losing everything in that file) and it just randomly turning off in the middle of something (in my last 4 outings, it shut off 10 minutes in to one event and 12 seconds in to another). Unfortunately, I'm recording sports, events, etc. where I can't keep constantly checking to see if it's still recording.

Edit: My last several outings, I will charge it all day, and I will constantly have to turn it back on - it shut off after 5 seconds, after 12 seconds, after 12 minutes and again after 8 seconds and 9 seconds.

Tried to get a hold of Polaroid support. They told me to try three things: 1. I needed a higher class microSD card - I have a class 10 so it shouldn't be an issue (and hasn't been up to this point). 2. Told me to reset the camera, which I had tried 10 or 15 times with no luck (I'd also lose my video footage shot up to that point when it would freeze mid-record). 3. Told me to format my microSD card. I did and it didn't help.

I emailed them back to let them know that none of their options worked and they never replied back to me. Like I said, the camera is great when it works. I'd probably throw out a little more cash and get a GoPro or something with better customer support.
11 comment15 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon April 1, 2013
I am probably SERIOUSLY underusing this particular camera since my excitement for the week happens at 60 mph in a car.

After watching the astounding dashboard shots from meteors in Russia in February, I have been considering installing a dashboard cam for my vehicle. I drive 80 miles every Sunday as a pastor serving three very rural churches, and many times have wished I had a camera to catch some of the amazing sights - turkeys nearly hitting the car, deer running across the road, or just the wonderful sight of the leaves turning in fall.

So, when I was offered the opportunity to receive a complimentary sample of the camera in order to consider reviewing it for Amazon, I immediately decided to go ahead and test it out.

The Video you are seeing is shot from our car. The conditions were awful - raining and cloudy - which is the perfect time in my opinion to see what it has. The first segment is shot in town at around 35-40 mph out the side window. The second segment is on the highway at around 60 mph and the camera is sitting in the front window. The third segment is partially hand-held out the front window showing the cows along the side of the road and the church as I arrive. This is shot at 40 mph.

I was impressed with the clarity of the shots included. While quality was lost in the uploading of the video to Amazon, you can still see some of the detail I was hoping to include. Particularly, the shots down the streets in the first segment are clear, even though they go by quickly.

The micro-sd card was not included with the camera so I purchased a 15G one here on Amazon so that I could test the product. The video can be downloaded off of the sd card or by using the included USB cord, which I also use to charge the camera.

This has many mountings. I notice that many of the reviews here mention issues on the mounts, but can't speak to that particular issue. I am using the standard base set on a non-slip mat in my windshield. This spring I hope to hook it next to the area where the robins built their nest last year. Hopefully I will be able to use some of the attachments to get some good video of the birds that my security cameras are to grainy to capture.

It is easy to set up, and easy to use. That is good, because you do need to use a magnifying glass in order to read the instructions - paper is cheaper than the rest, I do value good instructions at a size that is readable. This isn't. If I had more difficulty is using this, it would have lost a star. As it is, the clarity of the video, the comfortable use of the camera, and best of all, the simplicity of use left me with a good feeling.