4.0 out of 5 stars It's not perfect, but it's worth $100
I was really torn between giving this 4 or 5 stars. While there are no real problems with the little printer, it's not "perfect", so I'm going to try to justify my 4 star rating.

Published on January 11, 2012 by S. Kosloske

2.0 out of 5 stars Great for Android phone... crap for everything else
Published 20 months ago by Gadgethound

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not perfect, but it's worth $100, January 11, 2012
S. Kosloske (Milwaukee, WI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Polaroid GL10 Instant 3X4 Mobile Printer for Digital Cameras and Smart Camera Phones (Camera)

It works great. Install the battery and film pack, charge it up, and go. I've tested it via the GL10 application on my Mac, and by transferring a file over BlueTooth. They both work exactly as they should.

Picture quality - now here's the issue I have. Since you're printing pictures, should the quality be the number 1 issue? Obviously you can't expect the world from a $100 pocket printer, so from my first couple of tests, I would say the quality is "good enough". Of course, I haven't tested different file sizes, and the issue I had with the first 2 prints may be that they are scaled down too much, and that is hurting the quality. The pics look great, till you get in close, and then you can see they're obviously digital prints. I still need to play with the input file sizes to see if I just need to pick an "optimum" size. So I'm going to rate this as really good for a $100 pocket printer. Much better than I had hoped, actually. But it may require specific size input files to get the best printouts.

The "film" is kind of pricey. Of course, you can get it on-line for less than list price, but $20 for 30 prints seems a bit high??? Of course, these don't require any ink, so again, that's debatable.

The one complaint I do have is support. The first printer I got was DOA. Would not power up or connect no matter what I did. No help files, FAQ, drivers, anything really on Polaroid's page. So, I used Amazon's great return policy and just ordered a new one. 2nd one worked fine. But the instructions say "get the GL10 application". OK, where? I had to do some searching to find how to get to the link. Just bad support/design, in my opinion. Their web page just has some very simple info on the products and a big "Buy Now" button. Where's the user manuals, etc? Polaroid, fix this, please.

Bottom line, this thing is awesome. I can carry it with my camera/cell phone, and as long as I have film and a charged battery, I can print directly from either my pocket camera, my SLR or my phone easily. Still need more experimentation with file sizes, I have a feeling that 13mega-pixel prints on the 4x3 film is pushing the limits a bit much, but that really is to be expected. Would be nice if they provided a recommended pic size, though. The manual isn't good for much more than how to read the status of the lights, and what the BlueTooth code is.

5.0 out of 5 stars What I've been waiting for, August 22, 2011
The GL-10 is what I've been waiting for all these years.

After searching for an instant photo solution, and no matter what I tried, I was never quite happy. I own 5 working polaroid cameras (3 land cameras, an SLR-5 Macro onestep and a Graflex XL RF with a packfilm back), 2 pogo printers with the 1st gen ZINK system, and an HP A640 instant printer. None of them make me remotely as happy as this printer does. The packfilm cameras? Great film, giant cameras, spotty usage success with semi-automatic annoyances, lots of waste and the prints need to dry. Forget about ambient nightlight and expect to lose a couple shots per pack with loading issues. Pogo? Gah....party favor stickers were nice, but crap for battery life and Colors McRudderson was the result on your best day. The HP instant printer was HUGE, ink was a drag, and the quality is so-so after all that work anyway.

The GL-10 is what I've been waiting for all these years.

Leaps and bounds improvement in quality over the pogo. Still talking mid-range quality, but it's way better than the film the impossible project is putting out for it's one step cameras (or the unusable expired original film...."soft tone" my taint!) and considering the tradeoff size/toner/paper for any of the other battery powered options (HP, epson, canon selphy, etc), the pixels/per/hassles ratio is way better than anything else out there. The best business card you could ask for is this in the back pocket of your jeans with a felt tip pen and a USB cable. The only thing I could compare it to from a "WOW HOW DID YOU DO THAT----THAT'S AWESOME" factor is the land cameras, but considering their use record, I'll take a 70-75% quality 100% of the time compared to 100% quality 40% of the time any day of the week. As I said,

The GL-10 is what I've been waiting for all these years.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually considering buying the camera that's coming out soon just because I use the printer so much (40 pictures in one weekend of travel meeting new friends) that I'd just as soon not have the hassle of hooking the cord up to my pocket SD-1400. Anyway, I think you get my drift.

Note to Zink: make 3x4" paper that has a sticky back! That would be great. That is all.

Matthew
- Photographyontheroad

2.0 out of 5 stars Great for Android phone... crap for everything else, June 3, 2013
Gadgethound (Redmond, WA USA) - See all my reviews
If you plan to use this with anything other an Android device or digital camera, stop reading now. It is not worth your money or hassle. Most of the magic of this device is from the promise of wireless printing from a smartphone. This printer simply will not work with iOS, Windows Phone, or any other type of device. If you choose to keep it connected to your PC (which defeats a lot of the portability and functionality), the windows drivers are actually non-standard drivers, forcing you to run a dedicated program to print. The printer does not show up a generic USB device (!).

If you've gotten past that, what you'll find is something that is quite novel and fun to use. There is something exciting about getting a tangible object you can hand someone. The quality of the printouts is quite good. Not super accurate color wise, but extremely durable and a good spiritual successor to the polaroid prints from the past.

But for many people, this will not work for them, and money should be saved for when Polaroid can fix their driver issues. It's a complete shame as the printer hardware itself is quite nice. I've never experienced a piece of hardware so crippled by it's software implementation.

4.0 out of 5 stars A cool gadget, expensive... but useful, August 13, 2011
I bought this printer yesterday. I gotta say it's actually quite good... for what it is. Definitely it's superior to the Pogo printer in terms of quality... though it would be nice if the the 3x4 prints were also sticky backs. The color accuracy is actually quite reasonable. Unless you use very strong contrasting hues, then they tend to vibrate next to eachother. The images do not have a perfect polaroid feel... more it's like a dye sub system from 10 years ago. That said, as a pinter to roll in my camera bag with me, it's perfect.

A couple of notes, the black and white images have a cyan cast natively. If you use the polaroid app, downloaded directly from polaroid you will have the option of color adjusting to sorta help subdue the cast, but it didn't seem to really fix the issue. You will want to download the app... it will pair over bluetooth like the pogo and print in the same fashion as the pogo... with decent results, but the transfer is slow. From the app on my macbookpro the prints have a little bit (not a whole lot, but there is a difference) better color management. Plus it allows you to use a USB cable to transfer images and that dramatically speeds up the process per print.

All in all, if you were a pogo fan, you'll really like the prints from the GL10.

The GL10 is better than the pogo. It's not as good as the Epson pictuemate, but it's far more portable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lean..., January 12, 2012
Really nice printer! I can print photos directly from my Android phone, from my Mac OS X and even from a software I build (using bluetooth push).
The only problem I had was to find the Mac OS X software download link one the Polaroid website (I had to call Polaroid, cuz I couldn't find it at all!).

Recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works with my iPhone 4s with a workaround, May 30, 2013
R. Nagell (Lancaster, PA) - See all my reviews
I looked at several portable printers before I chose this one because it is the smallest printer that will produce satisfactory sized photos. The printer is about 4.5" x 3" x 1.25", or the size of a small book. Its not too heavy, but it does have a sizable charger (about 3.5" x 2" x1").
The POGO printer is smaller, but it is more for fun due to the small size of the photo stickers it prints. I travel and want to give instant prints on the fly as gifts. I had to jailbreak my iPhone (Apple Unlocker, takes 5 minutes), then installed a non-Apple application called AirBlueSharing. I am not promoting these but they worked very easily for me and you can find info on these online by others. Anyway, I was able to print using my iPhone via Bluetooth on my first try.
The Polaroid GL-10 worked very well, and I was able to go through about 4 ten packs of photos on one charge, which is really good in my opinion. The quality of the photos was very good using my iPhone, and more true to the photos on the phone than the ones I took with my Canon S100 digital camera (only USB with this camera) which I thought was a bit strange. The photos had some fuzziness around the edges when taken in low light, but were more crisp with good light. There is a tendency for white backgrounds in shadow to appear to have a slight magenta cast, but was not unpleasant nor distracting at all. All in all the printer performs as described, spitting out photos in under a minute. The prints are very
durable and come out dry. The cost per print is not bad, and a better deal if you get a ten pack of ten prints per pack (100 prints). I think its a nifty device and although
I was disappointed that it was not compatible with the iPhone right off the bat, the workaround was easy to do and cheap and did not affect my phone in any way, but please research any questions you have to satisfy yourself. I did not give it 5 stars because of the print quality, and the size of the photos, which I would prefer to be a little bit larger. Get an extra battery if you travel.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Customer Service, June 27, 2012
I just received this today. I'm glad I checked it out before giving it to my husband. The printer would not connect to the computer. After waiting 25 minutes on hold with Polaroid they just told me to return it. Also, it's nearly impossible to find the link for the computer software on the website. Don't bother looking for any instructions online either. To connect to the computer you need a USB to USB cable. This is not supplied and they are hard to find. Oh, and they don't support Windows phone. I'm pretty disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea but not as mobile as expected, May 27, 2014
The phone app connected to the GL10 is not for iPhones. So I was not able to set up the bluetooth feature on my phone. Although I was able to use bluetooth from my computer it was drastically slower than connecting via a cord to the printer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to Use and Difficult to Print, March 6, 2012
I had considerable difficulty finding the PC software for this device. It is located on the Polaroid website, but it is not easy to find. (Incidentally, it is located here: [...] ).

The PC software has a poor user interface. When finding photos, the program's interface does not follow the Windows Explorer framework. It provides a built-in file tree limiting access to files located in "lettered drives" (example: "C:", "D:", or "E:"). I was not able to print photos located: on my desktop, in shared files, or on a server. You need to move your photos into a file located on a "lettered drive" before you are able to print.

The PC software provides a number of photo border choices. I liked the idea of printing a border that makes the print look like a traditional Polaroid instant photo. However, the borders are a detriment to the printing process because they cover the picture. I was not able to satisfactorily resize or crop the photo to fit within the space allotted in the borders.

I easily found the Android application. It is difficult to use. Admittedly, my frustration in navigating the app limited my use.

Printer setup, including installing the battery, loading the photo paper, and installing the PC driver, was easy.

The physical printing process is poor. The printer jammed 80% of the time (it jammed 4 times out of the 5 times I tried to print).

The one photo I printed is best described as "Polaroid instant film quality." It was not a high-quality print, but I believe that is because the printer is attempting to recreate the instant film of the past using modern technology. My expectations were met regarding the picture quality considering the price I paid and the product description. I understood this product was trying to recreate original Polaroid instant photos when I bought it.

Ultimately, I returned the GL10. I like Polaroid's concept regarding this printer. However, the printing jams and the poor user interface in both the PC and Android applications make this product unsatisfactory.

5.0 out of 5 stars Portability and Convenience, November 16, 2011
What will they think of next? This instant Polaroid printer was a must for me. It's full-bleed borderless images that are dry to the touch first attracted me to this printer. I love to take pictures and with this portable printer, I know immediately how the picure turned out and have an opportunity for a retake if I'm not satisfied with the result. I also found that it was great to have at a family reunion. Your relatives can have a copy of the photos right away and not have to wait until they are developed or uploaded on to digital media. Love it!