Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on April 28, 2013
I bought this to simplify taking panoramas. I think this product is useless for that purpose, here's why:

1) It fails the classic level test for the horizontal (roll) bubble. If you put this in your hot shoe, make it level, and then pop it out and put it in the other way, the reading changes. It is bad enough that it can go from inside the lines to sticking out of the lines.

2) The pitch bubble can't even be tested, because the entire block rocks in the hot shoe. The top surface of the hot shoe foot is a bit domed (convex) because of the molding marks. If they had ensured that the top surface would be concave, so that the hot shoe touches only two points, it would at least have repeatable measurements (if not entirely accurate).

3) Even resting it on the cube faces fails the classic level test. It is common for one of the bubbles to go from touching the right/top marker and after rotating 180 degrees, it is touching the left/bottom marker. This is true for each face.

4) I would guess that the accuracy of this level is about ±1°, which is not saying much, when a common builder's level is ±0.0005°. You will get better results just by looking through the viewfinder and manually aligning a horizontal or vertical reference. If you are trying to use this to level your tripod legs for a sweeping panorama, forget it.
review image
on March 7, 2013
I was a little hesitant in ordering this product because of the remarks that it is extremely tight fitting. It is indeed very tight fitting, so much so that I was afraid to force it onto my Nikon hot shoe. After I got the level halfway onto the shoe I stopped fearing I was going to break my Nikon camera. For ten dollars you can give it a try, but you will probably experience the same problems that I had. I am going to try to sand down the bottom surface of the level with emery cloth and perhaps that will make it a bit easier to slide into place.
on June 22, 2012
I find no problem whatsoever with this level. Fits the hot-shoe snugly - not too tight, not too loose. Bubbles seem very accurate - but then, how accurate do you really need?? Serves my purposes (for taking panorama shots) perfectly. Should have bought it a long time ago.
on July 24, 2012
well, for $10, it serves its purpose well. it seems pretty accurate when compared to my regular level. my only reason for give it a 3 vs a 4 or 5 is that it was an extremely tight fit into my hot shoe on the D5100. maybe it just needs to get broken in and it'll fit better, but i was worried about breaking off my hot shoe while installing this little bugger.
on January 4, 2012
This three bubble level with work with any camera with a hotshoe. I had to grind the base down as it would not fit into my Panasonic DMC-FZ150 camera. That task is simple enough with some sandpaper or a pencil grinder. With the three bubble levels, two of them can be used in either portrait or the landscape mode. The best part is the level will still fit into my camera bag while still mounted on the camera. The camera flash will still open with the bubble level mounted in the hotshoe. It could not be better. I am very happy with this product.
on June 29, 2015
Like for many other reviewers, I found that one of the three bubble levels was not indicating correctly -- turning it 180 degrees on the same flat surface gave a different reading. After looking at it carefully, I found that the attachment slots for the hot shoe mount were not parallel to the rest of the level, and it wasn't something that could be fixed by sanding it down, etc. Don't waste your money on this (like I did).
on December 24, 2013
I'm a career photojournalist and sometimes shoot architecture or landscapes. One of the biggest headaches is precisely aligning the camera between shots--architects really hate tilted walls and I'm not thrilled about fixing photos in Photoshop. Similarly, landscape photographers often shoot a series of photos and stitch them together into long horizontals, but you really need to align your camera properly to make this technique work properly.

The Polaroid Hot Shoe Three Axis Triple Bubble Spirit Level PLABL3 (good grief, what a name!) is a great solution. This tough well-made cube fits snugly in my camera's hot shoe and allows precise camera leveling in seconds. The three-axis design comes in handy if you need to shoot vertical images. I bought this little goodie on a whim, but I keep it in my camera bag full time now.

Several reviewers mentioned the tight fit, but it fit perfectly on my DSLR cameras--not too tight or loose. Perhaps Polaroid listened and modified the base a bit?

Hint 1: you should store the cube in the plastic display/shipping card or in a fabric bag to keep it from getting scratched.

Hint 2: this bubble level can slide on the hot shoe two ways and I got slightly different bubble readings. This is the one downside and will vary from camera to camera or the bubble level you receive. I chose the "best" (most level) position and marked it with a Sharpie.
on September 6, 2011
Pretty tight fit in the camera; seems to agree with the tripod bubble level. Does exactly what I need it to do. Great price
on August 10, 2012
Just got this today. It was unpacked easily, and it fits my cameras ( EOS 30D, EOS 40D and EOS 5D mk II ) nicely. After reading through some of the more negative reviews before buying this, I was concerned that it wouldn't fit right. Yet when I put it in the hotshoe of each camera, I was relieved that it fit snugly without being too tight nor too loose. It does wobble in the Z-axis a bit, but mostly that isn't the level you're concerned about. Your X-axis is most crucial.

If you really need Z-axis to be level, then you just need to one step before mounting your camera to your tripod. You need a coldshoe High Quality New Speedlite Cold Shoe Hotshoe 1/4 Screw to Flash Hot Shoe Mount Adapter Nikon Canon H6800R mounted to your quick plate first, then once the tripod head is level, remove the coldshoe and mount your camera. It's a little bit of a work around, but with proper planning, not too much more trouble.

Works great when you're doing landscapes, panoramic photos. If you shot panoramas in portrait mode, like I do, this little gizmo will still allow you to
set your level using the former Y-axis now turned X-axis level. It's very conveniently small, fits in your pocket or camera-bag very easily.

All in all, a very handy tool to have in your bag/pocket, but for the $10 I paid plus $5 for shipping, it's a bit on the pricey side. If you can find this for $5 + $5s/h, it might be more worth it in respects to value for your money.

That's just my 2¢.
on July 8, 2015
just perfect - fits in my Canon 40D hot shoe and gives me level indications that are easy to read.
I do have to take it off to fit in my camera case but I expected that. It also is tight enough that it does not slip out on its own.