4.0 out of 5 stars Really fun

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Image Quality and Clunky Design
Published 16 months ago by Landed Photography

4.0 out of 5 stars Really fun, September 9, 2012
Lani (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Polaroid Z2300 10MP Digital Instant Print Camera (White) (Camera)
I give this 4 stars because it is a bit bulky, the materials feel pretty cheap and it feels a bit like a toy camera. The little latch in the back to open the camera and insert the zink paper is really flimsy. I accidentally bumped it once and all the papers fell out. The power button on top can easily be accidentally toggled as well. I've resorted to keeping a rubberband around the body to keep it from opening. It is only a little bit inconvenient that in order to review your pictures you have to move over the little slider to the playback option, much like older cameras, rather than a playback button - but that's just a minor complaint.

Other than that, for $160, you get a fully functioning 10 mp camera. The pictures look much better on the computer than what you see on the LCD screen. The prints are pretty good, though definitely not film quality. This camera is to be used more for fun and you should not expect anything close to professional quality. You do get a few cool options, like color selection when taking photos, and a few frames when you print the pictures. It also takes 720p video which is always nice.

Definitely a fun camera and if you buy the paper online, prints are pretty cheap.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Old School Memories, August 20, 2013
E. Flores (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This camera was an early Christmas gift last year and I find it perfect for what I need. I wanted a camera that took digital pictures, had expandable memory, was easy to use, and printed out pictures directly from the unit. The Polaroid Z340 Polaroid Z340 3x4 Instant Digital Camera with ZINK (Zero Ink) Printing Technology was too much money and bigger in size than I wanted and the Polaroid 300 Polaroid PIC-300P Instant Film Analog Camera (Purple) didn't have the memory ability I was looking for.

After some research of this and the Fuji Instax instant camera line, I settled on this one because of a couple of things.

PROS:

1) The Polaroid Z2300 has the throwback design that ultimately made it more portable than the Fuji Instax cameras. Yes, it is bigger than many purely digital cameras but you have to take into consideration that it has the printer inside. I have no issue with their being actual buttons, at times it is easier for me than having a touchscreen.

2)User friendly memory. I got a 16gb sd card as a promotion and it serves me to be able to selectively print pictures than to just have them print immediately after taking them. I am not the world's best photographer and I wasted many an instant camera in high school due to my lack of skills. Nothing sucked more than finally getting everyone together in the perfect pose at the dance than to press the shutter and find my last picture was already taken :( I have been able to successfully transfer photos from my computer to the sd card to print from Facebook and other cameras, and have also used my phone's micro sd with an adapter to make prints directly using this camera.

Some photos do not show up because they are too high resolution (12MP is where I maxed out.) The Polaroid Z2300 only likes landscape, otherwise you get an error message and cannot print. I set my Polaroid Z2300 at 8MP and the pictures come out nice, very little gets cropped in the printing process. My new phone (HTC ONE 32GB)takes true landscape pics and I found that it will fit the entire picture in the print, but the pictures come out "letter boxed" at the top and bottom with white bars (see customer pics for mine.)

The ability to take video was another selling point as I do not always have enough battery or memory available on my phone to take HD videos. The format is .avi and to my amateur pov looks good, definitely HD quality. Be warned that the video takes up A LOT of memory and the camera only takes up to 32GB SD cards.

3) INSTANT MEMORIES! I love that I can just print out a picture and touch it, use it, rub it and none of those things will mess it up after it's done. The fact that it is also a sticker makes making albums and Smashbooks easier. I have given them out as gifts to friends, use it to make going away presents for coworkers and it has been handy to use as "wallets" like back in the day. My little cousins personalized backpacks and for an avid Disneyland visitor like me, having prints of those memories is priceless.

CONS:
1) Picture quality is not always the best, you have to learn what setting works for what scene. This may be a hassle for some people but since I choose what pictures to print and save, not so much of a dealbreaker, just wanted to point it out to others. Colors are either brilliant and spot on, or slightly orangey. They look better on the computer than the camera's LCD screen. Printouts also can come out washed out but it depends on the picture taken in my pov.

2) Battery life not so good when printing multiples. It tends to run out faster when I am just in a printing session and unfortunately taking out the camera battery deletes the date/time setting, which you have to set before being able to take pictures. The battery is removable though but it does charge through ac adapter only. I have yet tried to charge it through usb. Mine came with all these plug adapters for different countries, which may be useful for those that travel, but I just stored them in the junk drawer. I do plan on getting a new battery for just in case.

3)You will not find ZINK Premium photo papers Polaroid 2x3" Premium ZINK Photo paper - 50-Pack in stores. I have been able to order some off Amazon but if I run out, I cannot just go to the store and get more. Keep that in mind if you are wanting this camera for crafting purposes or events. The paper itself is cheap and I haven't wasted more than a handful in the past year. I believe around $0.50 a print.

If you want a fun camera that helps you shares memories in a unique way, I recommend this camera. This is a gadget in all the sense of the word, not something professional photographers or nitpickers should get, because you will be disappointed. Figure out if your needs are what this camera can give you, because I am thoroughly happy with mine and will be giving one to my cousin now that the price has gone down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful little camera, May 30, 2013
I bought this camera to use for my wedding. We had a photo guest book so people could take their own pictures and put them in our book. This camera was very user friendly and the quality of the photos was great too. Perfect for our intended use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for scrap-booking, September 6, 2012
If you like using your phone to take instagrams your going love this camera! Insert sd card and choose the prints you want to print. Sticky backed photos perfect for scrapping. You can also upload to Mac or windows and print off larger images. Best of all, the instant camera prints are only 50 cents a piece. Not bad for instant crafting.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Image Quality and Clunky Design, August 23, 2013
I bought this camera as a novelty item but expected something better than a marginal device. The camera's sensor is on par with a 2009 cell phone camera; granted, I didn't expect stellar images and in no way was this intended to replace my DSLR, but I had hoped that images viewed on a computer would be at least decent. Not so. Images in low light are very difficult to accomplish and the flash doesn't help with the results (muddy, grainy prints.

The 'fun' part of the camera is printing images on the paper which double as stickers - while it is neat to be able to print images immediately, the glitz wears off once you realize that the images fade very rapidly - I took some pictures of employees at work when I first bought the camera and now the images are just blue blobs that resemble the employees. The printing does work, but as others have mentioned, the printing function kills the battery. Another unfortunate feature is that the proprietary charging cable is lost (as in my case), there doesn't seem to be an easy way to get one - I imagine I will have to call Polaroid because the cable is not available on Amazon or the Polaroid website.

I gave the camera two stars because there is a certain level of fun when first using the camera and if you don't take it too seriously, it does deliver a good time and if the camera is for a kid, for example, they will overlook the menus, the size of the camera, etc. Of course, at $200, this is a pretty expensive toy - mine has been on a shelf for months and it doesn't look like a need is going to come up for me to want to use it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, May 13, 2014
I've read a handful of reviews on different sites and it seems like people either really love it, or really hate it. In my case, I really love it. It seems like the most complaints I've seen were from people who either think the camera is too big, or picture quality is not that great. I'm assuming these people have never had an actual Polaroid camera. If you compare this camera to the top cameras on the market today, of course you're going to set yourself up for disappointment.

Now looking at the camera on a more realistic level of comparison, going from a very large and bulky analog polaroid camera with little to no control of how an image is going to turn out to this--it's quite the difference. This camera is about the nostalgia of a Polaroid exposure with slightly better picture quality and the luxury of choosing which photos you want to print. If you look at the camera from that perspective then you'll understand why I gave it such a great review. It's great for what it is. Don't expect it to be more than that. It's a great, thought out, fun product.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, May 15, 2013
im not a photographer, but i think the pictures come out pretty well. you do have to purchase an extra sd card and more paper refills, but it was worth it. i love it and i would recommend it to many people.

2.0 out of 5 stars Do not care for the print quality, plus the camera seems prehistoric, August 13, 2014
C. Fong (California, USA) - See all my reviews
I seldom return things but returned this camera. First of all it is large and clunky and generally feels "undesigned". I also don't care for the images, which are some form of the old dye-sublimation printers. The colors are just very flat.
In contrast, the Fuji Instax photos are very lively and much more reminiscent of the old Polaroids. Since their cameras are also large (although not without charm), I have settled on the very nice Fuji Instax wireless printer for smartphones. The film format works naturally with vertical iPhone images and you do get the preview the photos as before you print them.

5.0 out of 5 stars This camera is awesome! I have a four year old nonverbal granddaughter ..., August 21, 2014
This camera is awesome! I have a four year old nonverbal granddaughter with Autism and my daughter-in-law was able to take pictures of things and immediately have them for her picture book to communicate. When we were on vacation at the beach in a high rise condominium, we were able to take pictures of the stairs and elevator after we got there and give her a choice! By the second day, she was choosing the elevator. Last year she was so scared to ride the elevator and had several meltdowns. So much better when she can tell/show us her choice!

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible quality, October 24, 2013
Poor construction, poor image quality. Definitely not worth the $$$. This should be a 40.00 camera, not almost 200.00. Don't waste your money!

Polaroid Z2300 10MP Digital Instant Print Camera (White)
$299.99 $179.99