5.0 out of 5 stars Probe is Improved
A common problem with previous Polder thermometers I have owned is that if you get the bare, metal probe cord wet, water can get into the probe itself and ruin it by throwing off the temperature readings. I have thrown away several probes because of this, especially since I use these thermometers for beer making.

Some reviewers complained that the cord was...
Published on October 17, 2009 by Keith F.

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Last Long!
Published on April 9, 2010 by Davejostef

5.0 out of 5 stars Probe is Improved, October 17, 2009
Keith F. (Chambersburg, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Polder Digital In-Oven Thermometer/Timer, Graphite color (Kitchen)

Some reviewers complained that the cord was rubber and not metal like in the picture, when in fact this is a HUGE improvement over the old probes and that it appears to still be the metal, braided cable only it's now covered in the watertight rubber seal. Us home brewers used to go to great lengths to try and waterproof these cables ourselves. Thankfully now Polder has done it for us.

I can assure you that the temperature reads accurately since I used it in conjunction with a candy thermometer the first couple times I used it. The alarm and timer functions are invaluable. The pan clip is what prompted me to get this in the first place; the watertight probe was just a pleasant surprise.

Although you cannot technically turn it off, the amount of power this thing uses from a single AAA battery (included) is negligible and single AAA batteries are not going to break the bank. Overall, this is the best Polder thermometer I have owned yet, mainly thanks to its new watertight probe cable. Thanks Polder.

4.0 out of 5 stars One Flaw = Useless For Yogurt Making, April 10, 2008
Jason Baker (Goshen, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This is a good product for the price . Easy to use intuitive controls , display easy to read , temperature is accurate . There is no on/off button but this isn't a big deal as the battery will probably still last for years even with it always on .

You can set the alarm to go off when it reaches whatever temperature you set it for and the alarm is nice and loud . The reason I got this was for yogurt making . I wanted to have an alarm to let me know when the milk had cooled to the proper temperature instead of having to check it every 15 minutes . One problem though : You can only use the temperature alarm feature when going *UP TO* a temperature . If you have the milk at 180 degrees and set the temperature alarm to go off at 115 degrees the alarm goes off immediately because the temp has already reached or surpassed 115 degrees . In other words this thermometer is worthless for what I had hoped to use it for . You cannot set the temperature alarm to *GO DOWN TO* a given temperature which is too bad . Still, this is a well built easy to use thermometer ... just not what I had hoped for.

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Last Long!, April 9, 2010
Davejostef "jo" (Port Orchard, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I got this for Christmas (it was on my wishlist) and I was delighted. It preformed well the first couple of times I used it. The third time, it put up an error code (Hi). When I looked at the instructions, I found that this means the cable has been damaged and needs to be replaced. What the &@%#??? I used the thing THREE times. Sent an e-mail to the company about it and, of course, got no response. My advice? Look elsewhere. Disappointed...

1.0 out of 5 stars probe doesn't last, October 8, 2012
Free Man (Greenville, SC) - See all my reviews
I bought this in March 2012 and by October 2012 the probe failed. I used it about 10 times. The manual said if the temperature comes up with HI or LO the probe is shot. What a waste.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun While it Lasted - Updated for User Error, January 30, 2013
I've had this thermometer about 3 months now and it has functioned well as recently as last night. Tonight, I saw it sitting on the counter and read 102 degrees. I can assure you, my house is not that warm.

Disappointing when you like a product for functionality only to have it stop functioning in such a short time.

Updated 2/1/13 - It is quite possible I damaged the probe with improper cleaning technique. I was researching a replacement to this thermometer and found almost every digital probe thermometer out there had complaints about the probe going out in short order. Finally, on a blog about meat smokers, I found a thread that discussed the issue and it was pointed out that when cleaning the probe, care must be taken to not immerse where the probe meets the cable -- that water getting into the probe from this point was the most common reason for the failure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooking Thermometer, December 30, 2007
I have had one of these for 10 years and needed a replacement. I do not know what I would do without it. I use the timer part at every meal and the probe for roasts and turkeys and it has been perfect every time. I bought one for my Mother who complains she never knows when the meat is ready - she can not believe she has gone all these years guessing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Deceptive advertising, March 27, 2010
The photo in the ad clearly shows that the wire is coated in steel mesh, not plastic. The thermometer I received was plastic coated, not as advertised. I have found that the plastic coated wires do not hold up and soon melt, needing to be replaced.

1.0 out of 5 stars Six Months and gone, June 16, 2009
I got six months use out of it before it died. Was accurate up to that point and then the cable near probe started to go and intermittently gave the LO readout.

Need to find a quality product because this is not it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Made in China JUNK, October 25, 2010
Even though I was told this was not made in China by the seller, it was. It lasted five times before it died. It displayed random temperatures and now just displays the all digits on the screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this timer/thermometer., June 28, 2010
It's perfect, i have no idea what I did without it. It doesn't have an on/off switch (it's just meant to be left on) which bothered me at first, but i've gotten over it. It's really easy to use and when making candy i just clip it in the pan and wait for it to beep, it's fabulous!