Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Color: Graphite|Change

on October 17, 2009
A common problem with previous Polder thermometers I have owned is that if you get the bare, metal probe cord wet, water can get into the probe itself and ruin it by throwing off the temperature readings. I have thrown away several probes because of this, especially since I use these thermometers for beer making.

Some reviewers complained that the cord was rubber and not metal like in the picture, when in fact this is a HUGE improvement over the old probes and that it appears to still be the metal, braided cable only it's now covered in the watertight rubber seal. Us home brewers used to go to great lengths to try and waterproof these cables ourselves. Thankfully now Polder has done it for us.

I can assure you that the temperature reads accurately since I used it in conjunction with a candy thermometer the first couple times I used it. The alarm and timer functions are invaluable. The pan clip is what prompted me to get this in the first place; the watertight probe was just a pleasant surprise.

Although you cannot technically turn it off, the amount of power this thing uses from a single AAA battery (included) is negligible and single AAA batteries are not going to break the bank. Overall, this is the best Polder thermometer I have owned yet, mainly thanks to its new watertight probe cable. Thanks Polder.
2828 comments|420 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 30, 2013
I've had this thermometer about 3 months now and it has functioned well as recently as last night. Tonight, I saw it sitting on the counter and read 102 degrees. I can assure you, my house is not that warm.

Disappointing when you like a product for functionality only to have it stop functioning in such a short time.

Updated 2/1/13 - It is quite possible I damaged the probe with improper cleaning technique. I was researching a replacement to this thermometer and found almost every digital probe thermometer out there had complaints about the probe going out in short order. Finally, on a blog about meat smokers, I found a thread that discussed the issue and it was pointed out that when cleaning the probe, care must be taken to not immerse where the probe meets the cable -- that water getting into the probe from this point was the most common reason for the failure.
22 comments|136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 10, 2008
This is a good product for the price . Easy to use intuitive controls , display easy to read , temperature is accurate . There is no on/off button but this isn't a big deal as the battery will probably still last for years even with it always on .

You can set the alarm to go off when it reaches whatever temperature you set it for and the alarm is nice and loud . The reason I got this was for yogurt making . I wanted to have an alarm to let me know when the milk had cooled to the proper temperature instead of having to check it every 15 minutes . One problem though : You can only use the temperature alarm feature when going *UP TO* a temperature . If you have the milk at 180 degrees and set the temperature alarm to go off at 115 degrees the alarm goes off immediately because the temp has already reached or surpassed 115 degrees . In other words this thermometer is worthless for what I had hoped to use it for . You cannot set the temperature alarm to *GO DOWN TO* a given temperature which is too bad . Still, this is a well built easy to use thermometer ... just not what I had hoped for.
1212 comments|184 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2007
I have had one of these for 10 years and needed a replacement. I do not know what I would do without it. I use the timer part at every meal and the probe for roasts and turkeys and it has been perfect every time. I bought one for my Mother who complains she never knows when the meat is ready - she can not believe she has gone all these years guessing.
on April 9, 2010
I got this for Christmas (it was on my wishlist) and I was delighted. It preformed well the first couple of times I used it. The third time, it put up an error code (Hi). When I looked at the instructions, I found that this means the cable has been damaged and needs to be replaced. What the &@%#??? I used the thing THREE times. Sent an e-mail to the company about it and, of course, got no response. My advice? Look elsewhere. Disappointed...
1111 comments|192 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 27, 2014
This Polder Digital In-Oven Thermometer/Timer broke one minute into use. Do not buy; I explain why below. I bought this probe so that I could monitor the temperature of my Thanksgiving turkey. My turkey is cooking as I write this, although when it will be done is going to be a guessing game at this point. I inserted the probe into the breast of the turkey, set the temp alarm, and set to cooking. The alarm went off, one minute later, reading "HI." I removed the probe and it randomly jumped between "Hi" and "Lo," even after cooling. There was no reason for me to suspect that it was damaged so I read further into the instructions...

This is where I determined that it was not only broken, and my turkey would have to figure out for itself when it was done, but indeed that this exact problem was listed in the instructions. THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULD NOT BUY IT. If a device like this is so easily damaged and/or produced so terribly, then it shouldn't be listed in the instructions. That sort of thing should be corrected, fixed, made good for the consumer.

To sum up. Placing this cheap Polder Digital In-Oven Thermometer/Timer into a 45° F(~7° C) turkey, broke it after one minute. But don't worry, they tell you about it in the instructions.
review image
on October 8, 2012
I bought this in March 2012 and by October 2012 the probe failed. I used it about 10 times. The manual said if the temperature comes up with HI or LO the probe is shot. What a waste.
VINE VOICEon April 16, 2011
I used it in the oven for roasts, chickens, turkeys, etc. After about 20 uses it started freaking out, so I replaced the batteries which did not help. So I bought a new probe, thinking the wear and tear of being closed in the oven door (as it was DESIGNED TO DO!) disabled the cable in some way. Worked fine for another few months, and now it's giving wonky readings again. I am NOT about to buy another probe, so here I am on Amazon to find another oven probe thermometer to try...only a little over a year later.
on November 28, 2012
The probe wire does not look like the one pictured above. Instead, it is a gray silicone coated wire. There are some good and bad parts to this change. On the down side the probe and wire are only rated to 392 degrees Fahrenheit. That means the maximum temperature your OVEN can be set to, not the temperature of the food. If you have your oven set to 400 degrees then do not insert this thermometer, you will ruin it! The benefit of the silicone probe is that it is water tight. The curved design of the probe also holds the silicone/wire connection away from the steam, further improving the reliability of the unit over a pot of steaming water. As someone who brews beer this is a huge plus; if you are a home brewer I would highly recommend this thermometer. The silicone also means you can wash it after sticking it in your pot roast without worry. There is also an on/off switch on the underside of the unit, I'm not sure what the reviews claiming there isn't one are talking about.

I have lost probe thermometers due to the metal probe wire coverings being shoddy. They allow water in which destroys the sensors, and they allow the probe to spin on the wires and break the connection. I will take the trade off of not being able to use it above 392 degrees for a unit that lasts through normal use. I will update this review if my sensor over malfunctions.

Pros:
Solidly built
Allows for calibration of sensor (in ice water)
Seems very accurate right out of the box

Cons:
Only rated to 392 degrees Fahrenheit
No separate sensor for "oven temp"
review image review image
on June 16, 2009
I got six months use out of it before it died. Was accurate up to that point and then the cable near probe started to go and intermittently gave the LO readout.

Need to find a quality product because this is not it!