5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Replacement -- Just Be Gentle With It
We discovered that the original probe that came with this thermometer had failed at the point where the cable enters the metal probe housing. This is a very fragile point and the cable is easily damaged if this probe is allowed to mix with other utensils in a drawer.

Published on March 1, 2011 by Voiceguy

3.0 out of 5 stars Fix for these probes
Published on July 31, 2012 by Repairman99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Replacement -- Just Be Gentle With It, March 1, 2011
Voiceguy (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Polder Replacement Oven Probe for THM-362-86 (Kitchen)

With the replacement probe, however, we were back in business. Now I keep this probe in a standard No. 10 business envelope, standing at the right-hand side of a cabinet in the kitchen, so that it's delicate wire will not be accidentally damaged. So far that strategy has worked.

I have found this thermometer to be extremely useful. An unexpected use is for deep frying. The thermometer comes with a spring clip that allows this probe to be anchored to the side of a pan containing cooking oil. For "production" deep frying, such as making hush puppies or Chinese shrimp toast, where only a few at a time can be cooked, the built-in temperature alarm is extremely handy. Prior to this I was using a Taylor immersible thermometer that was hard to read and eventually failed.

My one caution to anyone looking for a replacement probe is to read the descriptions carefully and make sure you're getting the right probe for the specific Polder unit that you have. I found that the descriptions here are somewhat sloppy, so you need to be careful to select the actual replacement probe you need.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fix for these probes, July 31, 2012
This review is from: Polder Replacement Oven Probe for THM-362-86 (Kitchen)
These temp probes break right where the silicone wire goes into the metal probe. The crappy wire inside breaks. It is not a good quality flexable wire. Your only hope is to keep it from bending at that point. A good way to do this is by adding a piece of heat shrink tubing (or 2) over the area, maybe an inch on the metal and 2 inches down the wire, then another over that and about 1" down the wire. Should keep it from bending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Picture is inaccurate- probe is actually much better., January 26, 2011
This review is from: Polder Replacement Oven Probe for THM-362-86 (Kitchen)
I bought this after accidentally killing the old probe with too much heat. The original thermometer I bought came with a silicone jacketed probe wire along with a very sturdy probe without the crimp where the probe wire enters. From my research, the 364B was the right probe to get, even though the product pictures show the older style probe.

It's a great design, and from what I can tell it's quite water resistant. It's heat resistant as long as you don't go over the rated specs- which I think is in the range of 350 degrees F.

I tested the new probe for accuracy with my old thermometer and it was dead on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, December 28, 2009
This review is from: Polder Replacement Oven Probe for THM-362-86 (Kitchen)
The replacement works fine. The question though, is for how long. The original lasted less than a year.

2.0 out of 5 stars Extremely fragile, December 2, 2012
This review is from: Polder Replacement Oven Probe for THM-362-86 (Kitchen)
The Polder instrument is great when it works, but the probe is the weak spot. This is my third replacement probe, and I put up with it only because I haven't found any better device on the market. It's important to be very careful when cleaning the probe, especially at the point where the connecting cable joins the actual metal probe. Don't pull! And don't subject it to excessively high heat, such as the inside of a BBQ grill running a high temperature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cord, January 30, 2010
Shorty (Northampton, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Polder Replacement Oven Probe for THM-362-86 (Kitchen)
They now come with, what looks like, a more durable cord. My original last 7 years w/o problem anyway.

2.0 out of 5 stars Check the calibration, June 29, 2014
This review is from: Polder Replacement Oven Probe for THM-362-86 (Kitchen)
I own a Polder THM-362-86 which I bought several years ago, back when the probe used a braided wire connector. Recently, I have noticed that the temperature reading would fluctuate wildly depending on the position of the wire connection to the probe. So I decided to replace the probe.

Just to be sure, I decided to check the accuracy of this new part. Using a pan of boiling water, a chart to correct for altitude and barometric temperature, and a couple other thermometers (including a very accurate infrared temperature guage), I have come to the conclusion that this probe is off by 5-6% (low).

That may not seem like a lot, but if you rely on this probe you'll overcook a roast. Say you want your beef to be served at medium rare. By the time you read 145F, the meat is actually at 153F, approaching medium. A pork roast, which should be cooked to 160F will reach nearly 170F, well done. Great if you like a dry roast. Worse yet for a whole chicken. The probe reads 180F, when the meat is 190F and well past its toothsome peak.

I also use this to prepare milk prior to making yogurt. Heating to 180F is important to stretch the proteins and make a smooth yogurt. Keeping the temperature below 200F is important to avoid scortching it. This 10 degree error can be a critical margin.

I will return to this review when I have more experience with its utility and durability. But for now, my advice is to check the calibration if you are using this for cooking above 150F.

2.0 out of 5 stars Temporary fix (at best) for flawed thermometer, September 24, 2014
mariolina "mariolina" (Holliston, Massachusetts, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Polder Replacement Oven Probe for THM-362-86 (Kitchen)
The original probe that came with my Polder thermometer failed because the design is poor. No matter how careful you are, it was clear from the beginning that the cord was vulnerable at the point where the metal probe connects to the silicone cord, and would eventually fail. This probe is identical to the original, with the identical problem. I would have preferred to have paid more for the thermometer, but to have gotten a probe that would hold up to normal usage. I find myself avoiding using the thermometer because the probe has to handled so delicately. Having to buy an $11 part for a relatively new and barely used $25 thermometer is ANNOYING. Having to buy the same $11 part over and over (as many others have had to and as I know I'll have to do if I continue to use this thermometer) is INFURIATING. At the very least, Polder should have redesigned the probe and given a lifetime warranty.

I'm giving this two stars instead of one only because I'm able to use my thermometer once again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect replacement part, November 26, 2010
This review is from: Polder Replacement Oven Probe for THM-362-86 (Kitchen)
This was the exact replacement I needed. These Polder oven thermometers work great. I was concerned by the original price and plastic housing of the main unit but it has performed beyond my expectation. Perfect Turkeys at both Thanksgiving and Christmas for the past 2 years. Original probe melted when we tried to use it on the grill. I was glad to see that the replacement probes were clearly marked for the specific thermometers. Exact match the first time and another perfect Thanksgiving turkey again this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Needed replacement, March 11, 2012
This review is from: Polder Replacement Oven Probe for THM-362-86 (Kitchen)
Thanks for having probe. Now we are able to continue using the thermometer. It's too bad the cords go bad,

Polder Replacement Oven Probe for THM-362-86