Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Minutes to Midnight forum

Politics kills the CD

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 147 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 18, 2007 6:56:06 PM PDT
After listening to it for a couple times, Ive come to realize that the CD is really really good up until tracks 7 and 8 (Hands Held High and No More Sorrow). These songs are extremely political and I feel like they have no business here. They are not even subliminal either, which could be acceptable; it's literally Mike Shinoda telling us that he hates Bush. I feel like the CD really goes downhill from there. Anyone else agree?

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2007 9:11:19 AM PDT
Lauren Bauer says:
Yeah, that really threw me off there when I heard all the politics crap. The other songs are really good, but those 2 tend to make me cringe.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2007 10:21:46 AM PDT
Kevin Hanley says:
Sorry but this is NOT Linkin Park. Something really terrible has happended. The band is dead. Not even a miracle can bring them back.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2007 1:49:20 PM PDT
P. Chu says:
Why is it that you think that Linkin Park has no business to speak their views on political issues? Isn't that the point of making music, to express how you are feeling? I would be scared it if WAS subliminal, that would more propagandistic than to just go right out and say it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2007 4:28:27 PM PDT
I understand trying to be political in some sense, to be artistic somehow, but these two songs, at least track 7 is Mike Shinoda just going on about how Bush is a terrible leader, as if his opinion is fact and everyone agrees with it. Fort Minor was political, but it was more subtle and it told of hard truths in this world. This, he is just ragging on the President as if he know better than everyone else.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2007 8:16:46 PM PDT
MQ says:
Well maybe those songs will wake people up because in this day and age a lot of people are ignorant and maybe the only way they can become aware is through an LP song.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2007 8:27:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 19, 2007 8:27:53 PM PDT
Yes, it won't be through the news. It wont be from the television. It wont be from the protestors. It wont be from the terrorist broadcasts or Bush's speeches. The revelation that we might just be in an unjust war, Bush is incompetent, the world sucks, and Republicans are all evil and out to get you will come from a Linkin Park song. Their time would be better spent doing a song on particle physics to make people better understand that.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2007 10:16:23 AM PDT
So are you saying that Fortunate Son by Creedence Clearwater Revival shouldn't have been made either? Hmmmm I don't think that you understand that magnitude of what Bush has done to our country that or you're just plain ignorant! This war isn't about the Iraqi people as Bush would love for you to believe it's about letting our oil companies get richer and the poorer getting poorer. Hmmmm Yes that shouldn't be sung about who knows mayb next we can take out songs about love, sex, and being happy! Hands Held High is one of the best songs on the cd. Whether you chose to agree with it or not it's a good song but people who like Bush will get offended or who knows actually learn something!

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2007 1:51:22 PM PDT
And thats why I hate this song and people like you. Just because we have different opinions on politics doesnt make your opinion better or worse than mine. You make it seem because I dont think exactly like you that means Im ignorant, dumb, or blind. The same attitude is expressed in this song.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2007 9:01:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2007 2:01:03 PM PDT
W. Hanson says:
My first listen to MTM I was a little bummed to be preached at by LP on political issues. But hey, I still think they rock, and the more I listen to this album the more I appreciate it, even the songs with messages I do not agree with.

The whole album sounds to me like it was written at gunpoint. The fact that the liner notes contained an explanation for every song told me that the guys knew this album was going to fall flat with a lot of fans. Perhaps a sellout, perhaps industry pressure to promote an agenda, maybe this is how they really feel, either way it's still in my MP3 player and it will continue to be played.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2007 5:54:40 PM PDT
mewtwo says:
I think Mike Shinoda sounds too much like Eminem when he raps about anti-Bush subjects. It's just not his style. Mike's always been more about growing up in a crappy city, and his sucky life, and stuff. No more anti-government. Save that for the pros - Eminem, System of a Down, Rage Against the Machine, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2007 6:26:12 PM PDT
Herleker says:
The special edition of Meteora had liner notes as well, the booklit was set up in a very similar way as MTM, so are you trying to say they thought Meteora would fall flat too?

Why is it preaching to speak the way you feel? Everyone is effected by the government and the fear that they are promoting, why shouldn't they write songs about it? It's their feelings, they're artists, it's what they do, express themselves.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2007 8:47:23 PM PDT
To me, the difference between that song and Fort Minor is that he isnt speaking the way he feels, he is attacking. And the style in which he does it, he is talking down to anybody who has a different opinion than him. He is also stating his opinion as if it were fact. Fort Minor told stories and let people make their own calls, which were pretty easy to make. But here, its just very....condescending.

And to top it off, Mike Shinoda knows nothing of actual American politics and the working of law and government. Not that Im saying people who arent educated cant make opinions and express them, but the level of metro condescension he shows is intolerable.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2007 8:58:48 PM PDT
paris says:
they are trying to appeal to the anti-goverment teens!

who hate bush as well as anyone else who hates bush.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2007 1:08:27 PM PDT
Herleker says:
What's the different opinion though? That Bush doesn't come off nervous? That gas companies aren't making a killing while the average joe struggles to get from point a to point b? That many people across the world disagree with what we're doing?

And how would you know that he knows nothing of American politics? Sure he may not have a law degree, but that doesn't mean he doesn't read/watch the news, or bother looking up information. He travels the world and from the personality he displays in interviews and his bands dvds seems to be pretty approachable so I'm sure he's talked with many people in his travels and heard their stories on what's going on.

You can also relate this song to many wars in the past, other issues, not just the present day one, not all the lines but many.

But to cater to the artistic side, I'm glad he made this song because this is what he knows and this is what he feels, if he hadn't wrote it he would have been doing a disservice to himself and at the end of the day he's the one he has to live with and his art should make him happy and reflect himself.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2007 7:03:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2007 7:13:31 AM PDT
lol, liberals for linkin park frikin' great. This album is a train wreck. It doesn't matter if they what they sing about, it lacks depth to be enduring.

If any of you want to be president go for it, lets see your burger flippin', Wal-mart greetin' A** do a better job. How about this geniuses, can you or I tell the world accurately the repercussions of a government's actions. What if he inadvertently saved the nation? What if he damn us all? No one can predict that. Vomiting up CNN quotes and wikipedia references while watching The Daily Show doesn't make you politically smart, it makes you a sheep. From a random guy on the internet to other random people, think, how much of your opinion is your own?

The political comments on this album are as unwelcome as the new sound.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2007 11:28:21 AM PDT
Is there really someone in the world who doesn't hate Bush? Are really Americans as dumb as the rest of the world portraits them because of their president? I refuse to believe it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2007 11:49:05 AM PDT
No says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2007 12:42:45 PM PDT
You are an ignorant fool. Bush may come off stuttering at times (and the media crucifies him for it), but he has done some remarkable things that lesser men would not have pushed for. Faith-based initiatives were an outstanding success, the use of the Homelander vote in the 2004 elections, and the early phases of the Iraq war.

Yes, Bush doesnt come off as particularly smart because of the media's portrayal of him, but that doesnt make him dumb.

Also, Americans arent dumb, its just that the ones who know the least generally speak the loudest.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2007 3:12:09 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2007 3:28:25 PM PDT
mewtwo says:
Bottom line: Linkin Park should stay away from topics they're not 'extremely educated' in.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2007 3:40:21 PM PDT
It's a good thing we have entertainer with special inside information to let us know when our government is up to no good. Otherwise we'd be in the dark relying on what the news tell us...What's that? Entertainers have the same information available to them that we do? So, how do they become so knowledgeable while the common man remains so ignorant? Wow, I'm so glad people keep singing these educational songs.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2007 3:43:51 PM PDT
mewtwo says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2007 7:07:58 PM PDT
look at our previous presidents, THE GOOD ONES, and look at Bush...do you se the difference? If you don't, I'm sorry.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2007 10:33:44 PM PDT
I agree with this dude. Why HIDE what you feel when music and art give you the perfect opportunity to EXPRESS your STRAIGHT FORWARD feelings and views? Mike clearly hates Bush...and he isn't afraid to say it. Appreciate it for what it is. Be grateful the album isn't COMPLETELY political or filled with ballads. It has a little bit of everything...appreciate.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Minutes to Midnight forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  147
Initial post:  May 18, 2007
Latest post:  May 18, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Minutes to Midnight
Minutes to Midnight by Linkin Park (Audio CD - 2007)
3.8 out of 5 stars (33)