1,114 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Dripping with bass
Bass is clear, deep, oh, and LOUD! If you really want your HT to sound like an IMAX theater, then I whole-heartedly recommend this sub. It fills in the low end seamlessly. It also takes the burden of reproducing low lows off of your other speakers (which aren't nearly as capable as the PSW505). This is not a cheap "rumble box". The first movie I watched with this sub...
Published on September 22, 2009 by Money Leaker

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but short-lived
I bought this sub based largely on reviews I have read online (Amazon included). I listened to one in a home theater store and it came down do a Velodyne model and this Polk one. It arrives, I set it up, and let it go. Don't get me wrong, I know I had set it up properly and never "stretched" the sub to its maximum capabilities. It sounded great in virtually all areas...
Published on December 12, 2008 by K. MO

‹ Previous | 140 41 42112 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful.., February 4, 2015
This review is from: Polk Audio PSW505 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer (Single, Black) (Electronics)
Bought this for my brother, regret it since it thunder my room all day and night... from down the hall. XD great sub, makes dramatic sense from movies have you on the edge of your seat!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant Surprise! Get one and don't look back!, March 22, 2013
I bought the PSW505 to replace my JBL 12" venue Series SW. BTW avoid the JBL 12 at all costs. Great (awesome really) when it works but when it goes mine blew a smoking hole in the circuit board. got it fixed and it went again.You may know the smell... It's a common problem to that model.

Sorry now to the 505. This cabinet is very well sized for a 12" sub. The hookup was simple using the LFE. The sound is powerful without boominess/boxiness. Clean and tight.Used my amplifier self calibration and the sound is on the money. Output tracked it down to 16Hz. I guess I got a good one. Still dialing it in a little , but I'm fussy about my sound.I recommend tis unit.
To some of the users who complain about the sound-- I'd suggest they take the time to set the SW up properly. It will never sound perfect "out of the box". Dial that baby in and rock! Move it around if you can. There is sufficient flexibility for adjustments.
To the guy who gave one star for the speaker size, here's the deal, It's called an undulus and it provides proper centering and excursion. You can look that stuff up. This speaker has the largest undulus I've seen! Almost 1/2 the total sound. The concept is about moving air and this thig teally pumps.I've pushed as far as the furniture permits without a problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW - Look no further!, June 5, 2013
So I was looking for a replacement for my 17 year old Definitive Technology $500 subwoofer that finally fried itself. Was happy with that one and can't expect electronics to last forever. A new version of the the Definitive was $500. Then I started poking around online and ran across the Polk PSW505 for $179 delivered from Amazon. Spec's seemed very similar to the $500 Definitive Technology that I was replacing, and people seem to love the Polk. Got it today. I'm no audiophile and can't pretend to understand some of the comments people make about subwoofers. All I know is it sounds unbelievably good, looks rock solid, and is absolutely better sounding than the old Definitive Technology that I was replacing. My gut is like other reviewers - unless you can really, REALLY pick up subtle differences in low/bass sounds --- I think you would have to spend 3x - 10x to get a better sound. Looks like Polk PSW505 is at the end of the model year, with the newer one more like $250. So if you need a new subwoofer, jump now! And to answer a question we all have - YES it will rattle the windows off your wall if you crank the controls on it up. But for everyday use at normal volume, and even classical music - the sound is appropriate and a thing of beauty.

5.0 out of 5 stars This subwoofer kicks your butt and your house..., January 6, 2013
Thomas B. Holleran (Carson City, NV United States) - See all my reviews
If you want to feel the "boom" when you watch movies with a AV receiver...get this sub ( or 2) you won't regret it. Your home will be a Theater you won't have to drive to.

5.0 out of 5 stars PSW 505 Polk 12" Powered SubWoofer, April 3, 2011
I've Had Many Good Subwoofers Over The Years,but Never Any Like These 2 505's. They Are So Much Better And At A Very Good Price. They Look Beautiful And Sounds Even Better. George

4.0 out of 5 stars A little over powering at times, September 28, 2011
I bought this sub to be used with my two ch. stereo setup. I own several pairs of polk speakers, most being of the vintage monitor, and SDA lines. I was a little skeptical of there quality now, because there products are no longer made in the usa, like the older monitor, and SDA series was. I paired this with a set of vintage monitor 7's, which are very musical, but like a lot of polks of the time were not very bass heavy. so I was looking for something to compliment the monitor 7's lack of low end extension. The monitors are connected to a vintage receiver that produces a real 100 watts per ch. so i needed something that would keep up with the monitors. This sub easily keeps up with no signs of distortion, or break up of the sound. my only complaint is that on some music it tends to become over powering, and creates a big bass blur, instead of a nice tight sound. I found it works best in my setup with the crossover at its lowest position, which helps keep the bass from getting to out of control, and still blends in nicely with the monitor 7's. I think this sub would be well suited for HT. applications more so than musical, because it can get real big, real fast. but overall I'm pleased with it, its build quality was better than I expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent subwoofer for the price!!!!!, January 11, 2014
This is an excellent subwoofer for this price it's great for movies and music, if you search online or on amazon what too look for in a subwoofer. I was between of getting BIC America F12 12-Inch 475-Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer
Or this Polk Audio PSW505 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer (Single, Black)
And actually Polk Audio was a better buy this has Rated to 300 watts of continuous power (460W peak) and Overall Frequency Response 23Hz - 160Hz. The BIC America has 150 watts RMS continuous And Built-in Amplifier Power: 475 watts Dynamic Peak POWER and Frequency Response: 25Hz - 200Hz so the Polk Audio has better continuos power which is 300watts compared to 150 even though the BIC has more peak power but don't really mean much and it's only by 15watts and the frequency response is better Polk Audio cause it's gets as low as 23Hz and up too 160Hz I read that you want to get as low to 20Hz the better and the BIC is 25Hz up to 200Hz from what read the subwoofer typically works 20Hz up to 100Hz so the Polk Audio is all round better than the BIC even though it looks like the BIC has higher number doesn't mean it's better get the this Polk Audio subwoofer its awesome for MUSIC and MOVIES unlike the BIC where it's just good for music

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful bass for the right space, September 27, 2012
John Vitullo (Westerville, OH) - See all my reviews
Highly capable subwoofer for large living rooms or great rooms. My receiver's Audyssey setup (and my own subjective testing) found it to be overkill for my 13x25x7 basement space. It was configured with Audyssey at 25% volume and the receiver even corrected it to -5 dB of that. I compared it side by side to the BIC v-1220, which required a higher volume setting of 50% for equivalent bass response. I found the V-1220 to blend perfectly for music and movies when configured by Audyssey. It is also protected from balls, toys, and damage from children due to the downfiring design onto my wood floor. The PSW505 also has noticeable port noise at high volume and a cheaper foam surround. The V-1220 has no port noise from its large venturi opening, and has a high quality butyl rubber surround. The rubber requires a longer break-in period than the Polk's foam, so should continue to improve in bass response (and need volume reduced). My wife also prefers the V1220 which looks like a nice gray wood end-table instead of a black Polk speaker. In summary, it is a great speaker for large rooms at a good price for $199 on sale. However, it may be overkill for your space when properly calibrated.

5.0 out of 5 stars iiiiitssss reeally hhhaaard to ttyyppe with alllll thiis bbbbbaaaassss, January 8, 2012
Justin (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
Ok I had to turn it down to actually type, if you live in an apartment complex expect a noise complaint within the hour. Totally worth it thou. I look forward to getting more.

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG!!!, September 21, 2013
In a word...Impressed! For the money, I was skeptical. Even after reading many positive reviews. My HT is now complete and sounds better than a "real" movie theater.

‹ Previous | 140 41 42112 | Next ›

Polk Audio PSW505 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer (Single, Black)
$589.95 $254.94