Published on May 31, 2012 by Benny6.7

3.0 out of 5 stars The speaker was ok buy it was a different size that advertised so had to return it.
This speaker had to be returned THAT was the problem. Even though the speaker was much larger that the size advertised (wouldn't fit in the space) the seller would not return the full price of the item. I would never deal with this seller again.
Published 17 months ago by RocketMan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice for "hidden" center in a HT app - Superb fit/finish - Mediocre value-per-dollar., May 31, 2012
This review is from: Polk Audio 255C-RT In-wall / In-ceiling center channel speaker (Electronics)
Background: First off I am writing this based on my experience with many Polk Audio products, including: other Vanishing/RT series speakers, TSi 400 floor standers, CS20 center, OWM 3'S and 5'S, and finally several subs such as the DSW Micro PRO 1000, DSW Pro 550wi, and PW125. In the past i have also owned several products by "high end" brands such as B&O, Martin Logan, etc... The point I mean to make is that I am PICKY when it comes to sound!
Setup: 20x30ft basement, 8-10ft split ceiling, 105" front projection, 5.1 config, in ceiling Polk 620RT speakers, DSW PRO 550wi sub (wireless). Each speaker is wired with 14/4 CL3 in wall/ceiling.
Use: I installed this center channel to replace a 620RT which had been improperly installed by an audio/video tech in my dads basement home theater/multipurpose room. The guy installed the speaker between two joists which was occupied by a 120v AC line; the line rested on the back of the driver and the inductive field fried it lol...
Installation: I actually mounted this speaker in-ceiling as opposed to the reccomended in-wall application - I took a chance and it paid off in the end! The included cardboard drywall cutting template worked nicely and all of the screw-clamp type mounts were easy to tighten and have needed no adjustment after a year or use. Score 5/5.
Sound quality: This speaker produces a wonderfully broad sound stage considering its compact form factor and flush mount design. For just two 5-1/2" drivers bass note reproduction out of the box is on par with the larger 620RT's installed in the LF/RF/RR/LR. However, before a good 85-90 break in period mid-tones appeared flat and even muffled. This issue partially resolved itself after getting some hours through the speakers. Highs are dynamic and equal to low/mid (after breakin) performance, but this isn't the most bright center I've ever used. Score 3/5.
Overall/final thoughts: I was pleasantly surprised just how well this center speaker functioned as an in-ceiling unit when it was designed as an in-wall piece. The bang-to-buck ratio was a bit of a let down...at over $345 shipped when I ordered, i would have expected a more vibrant and powerful center. Granted this is an in-wall unit, but my CS20 blows this speaker out of the water in most categories, save perhaps overall dimensions lol - 255c-RT gets the win there! I certainly recommend the 2RTc-RT to any Polk owner who is looking for a stealthy center to match the timbre of their existing RT/RTi speakers; if you're starting from scratch then this center channel speaker might not be the wisest choice if you have hopes of building budget-minded value-to-performance oriented theater system. In fact, I would skip the RT series all together in Polk's product, instead I wish i had stepped up to the LS series at the beginning when designing this home theater setup. OVERALL SCORE 4/5!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound, February 16, 2012
HK (Tucson, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
I'm using this as the center channel speaker for a 5.1 sound system. I used all polk audio vanishing series speakers (65-RT front speakers and 620-RT for the surrounds) with a Yamaha RX-671 receiver. I appreciated the swivel tweeter feature since I wasn't able to place my speaker in the ideal position. I had a stud near the center of the wall were I have my TV and couldn't place the center channel exactly in the middle. I really like the sound produced by the vanishing series speakers in general and love the clarity which you hear with all various instruments used in music. Like many other in-wall speakers the base is not that great but for me it doesn't matter since I have a subwoofer as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Specs, November 5, 2014
Dimensions - Cut-Out Height 7 5/8 (19.37cm) "
Dimensions - Cut-Out Width 13 1/8 (33.34cm) "
Dimensions - Height 9 5/16 (23.65cm) "
Dimensions - Mounting Depth (includes 1/2 drywall)" 3 3/8 (8.57cm) "
Dimensions - Overall Depth 3 7/8 (9.84cm) "
Dimensions - Pre-Construction Bracket <a href='/products/pblcic'>PB LCic</a>
Dimensions - Product Weight (each) 6.6 pounds
Dimensions - Width 14 13/16 (37.62cm) "
Driver Complement Mid / Woofer - Diameter 5 1/4 (13.34cm) "
Driver Complement Mid / Woofer - Quantity 2
Driver Complement Mid / Woofer - Type Dynamic Balance mineral composite polypropylene cone with rubber surround
Driver Complement Tweeter - Diameter 1 (2.54cm) "
Driver Complement Tweeter - Quantity 1
Shipping - Total Shipping Weight 8.98 pounds
Shipping - Unit of Measure each
Warranty - Speaker Warranty Lifetime

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Speakers!, January 7, 2013
It sounds great! It is definitely worth the money. I had another center speaker and I am glad that I upgraded.

5.0 out of 5 stars Front Speaker painting review, December 23, 2014
Great item, matches well with my Polk RC55i front highs, rear, and rear surrounds. This grill is a little harder to take apart to properly paint, you have to bend around 12 tabs up to remove the metal speaker mesh from the frame, and then the cloth from the metal. The grill attaches to the speaker with magnets. I preferred the RC55i speaker grill in regards to ease of painting, but this grill looks cleaner when installed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent speakers, April 10, 2014
Good tone. High Quality. Delivers a Big Bang for your bucks. I have no problem recommending these speakers. Very happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Speaker, January 24, 2014
James M. Arrison IV (highlands Ranch, CO United States) - See all my reviews
Installed this speaker as a center speaker underneath my wall mounted 65" tv and it looks and sound great. What a nice improvement from my JVC center chanel standard speaker that looked ugly compared to an in-wall speaker. Installation was a breeze, sound is awesome, wife is happy my old college speakers are gone and the basement looks professional. Don't hesitate to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great speaker, December 16, 2013
Speaker looks great and sounds even better. I am very happy with my purchase and would recommend this to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Home Theater Speakers, December 11, 2013
Used these for my home theater setup. The installation was very easy and they look good and the sound is great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Speaker, October 20, 2013
Mike Steinhoff (Wesley Chapel, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This was a breeze to install. Polk provides a template and easy to follow instructions. Sounds great and is a nice addition to any home theater system.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›