5.0 out of 5 stars I Am Impressed
Published on April 27, 2010 by Michael Paul Sebek

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but can't handle much power 3 and a half stars at this point...
Installed these on my boat with a Dual AMB600w 240 watt receiver and they can't handle the 60 watts going to them. Was pretty surprised considering their 80 watt rating. Going to use them a little more before I determine if I will be returning them. I will update my review accordingly...
JB
Published 6 months ago by JB

5.0 out of 5 stars I Am Impressed, April 27, 2010
I have had a "total" sound system in my home for more than 10 years - a set of Bose indoor speakers in each of three rooms; a set of Bose outdoor speakers in the eaves over my front door and another set in my outdoor screen room; and a set of Cerwin Vega "bookshelf" speakers in my TV/entertainment room. Just today, I added a set of Polk Audio Atrium 4 speakers to the system in order to pipe sound (satellite TV/DVD/CD)to an arbor swing located about 50 feet from the back of my house. I must say, I am impressed. The Polk Audio Atrium 4s sound every bit as good as the Bose speakers (if not better), and the quality of their construction appears outstanding. As this is the the set which will be most exposed to the elements, I was encouraged by the excellent "weatherproof" specifications and the fit and finish of the Atrium 4s. Only time will tell if they hold up as well as the outdoor speakers I now have, but at a price about $100 cheaper than the least expensive Bose outdoor speakers, they appear to be an extraordinary value for the money. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these speakers, November 1, 2011
This review is from: Polk Audio Atrium 4 Outdoor Speakers (Pair, White) (Electronics)
Considered getting the Bose outdoor speakers, but after seeing the price and reading various reviews, decided on purchasing the Polk Speakers instead. GREAT VALUE and great sound. I am very please with this purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleased overall, June 8, 2012
For $100 these are some pretty good overall outdoor speakers. I had a pair of JBL outdoors that developed some buzzing and pops so I needed a replacement and I went with these. For reference, every other speaker I own (except for a pair in the garage) is JBL, this was my first Polk experience.

Generally speaking they are a solid set of speakers. They give a pretty balanced sound all around but lack a little fullness in the lower mid-range. This is particularly noticeable when playing orchestral type music like film scores or piano heavy music. Going from the lower mids to bass is where they really start to have trouble. For the size of the speaker I certainly wasn't expecting to really "feel" bass but these do drop off noticeably in the lower frequency ranges. If there's something to knock with the Atrium 4's, that's it. With other types of music (country, rock, etc...) those issues aren't as noticeable. With that said they offer a nice high end treble sound that is pleasing to the ear. Overall the tone is brighter than I generally prefer (all of my JBL's have a warmer tone) but it certainly isn't a deal breaker for me. They don't by any stretch of the imagination sound unpleasant. For our purposes, general entertaining...using them for music outside while we do yard work..., they fit the bill very nicely. For $100 I am overall satisfied with this purchase. If you can afford to, or if a flatter overall response is important, then I'd probably look at something a little more expensive. If you are comfortable giving up some sound quality or if budget is an issue then certainly gives these a serious look.

Installing these babies was an absolute breeze. The mounting hardware supplied by Polk is virtually idiot proof. It simply could not be any easier to mount these speakers. The installation deserves 5 stars. The fact that they are virtually weatherproof is also a plus, you can mount them just about anywhere without fear of damage from the elements. One other thing I really liked was the ability to swivel and aim the speakers to exactly where I wanted them (this could not be done with our JBL's these replaced).

Power handling has not been an issue for me. I've got them hooked up to a 120 watt receiver and they been flawless to this point even at high volumes. We have a relatively large back yard so it takes some juice to disperse the sound and the Atriums are more than capable of taking it.

I'll summarize this way; if you're looking for an inexpensive way to get good quality sound outdoors with something that is ridiculously easy to install then the Atrium 4 deserves strong consideration. If you can afford to get in to an upgraded version then I would probably look in that direction solely for a better bass-lower midrange performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great speaker !, March 27, 2011
I love this speaker !! It has a great sound for the $$. The mounting bracket system is heavy duty, very versatile and easy to install. I installed mine going horizontally in the corner and due to the 180 degree pivot lock system I could get them just at the right angle in no time at all. I'm using them in an indoor spa enviorment and had no problems with humidity effecting the speaker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed!, June 20, 2011
Bought these Atrium 4's after my Bose 151's bit the dust after only 3 years. I was really annoyed with the quality of the Bose speaker especially lasting only 3 years even though I took them in every fall/winter. I was impressed with Polk Audio's dedication to outdoor quality and the outdoor endurance tests they run their speakers through - plus the fact they come with a 5 year warranty. So I took a chance and bought a pair without even listening to them. I hooked them up and I have to admit I was blown away by how much better they sounded than my old Bose - plus they were half the price. I was worried that the Atrium 4's wouldn't sound big enough to fill my backyard - approx a 40' x 60' foot space - but man, was I wrong! These speakers provided more than enough sound and even enough bass to sound great standing on the other side of the yard. In fact, I think they sounded better standing on the other side of the yard 60' feet away. Anyhow I recommend these to any one who wants great sound at a great price. Unless you are serious audiophile and have very understanding neighbors - you will be more than satisfied with these speakers. I cranked up AC/DC 'For those about to Rock' and I swear half the neighborhood could hear it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary good sound from such tiny things, April 22, 2012
At $99, these are not the most expensive speakers I've ever bought, and of course not the biggest. At lower volumes you might think they're underpowered. But give them some juice. Everywhere between half-loud to uncomfortably loud you'll be shocked (seriously, shocked) at the clarity of the sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound at a great bargain, October 26, 2012
I have the Atriun 4 pair set up mounted to my house above the deck, powered by a 100 watt Sherwood Amp/receiver. Incredible sound from 20 yards out to the back yard (crystal clear) at a moderate volume.

Easy install with nice adjustable mounting hardware. I thought i'd need a second pair prior to turning on the speakers due to being outside but found the pair to be more than enough sound for entertaining.

I put a lot of research into enviornmental speakers and tried all the top brands (Bose, Boston Acoustics, Yamaha ect.) and found the Polk Atrium to be the superior sound. Try them out in your local electronics store then purchase online. I saved 50%.

I have yet to crank up the volume but wish not to piss off the neighborhood at this time. If you choose the Polk speaker you will not be disapointed. Some who want a little more bass may want to look into a woofer but for my purposes, i need nothing more

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Speaker, June 18, 2012
Shipping, and packaging were impeccable. My 1st order ever with amazon. The speakers sound great. I mounted them in our boat, and so far have been through monsoons' of a rainstorm. Will be buying 2 more for the front of the boat. Crisp, Clear, and just an overall great sound!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Atrium 4...Fits the bill, March 15, 2013
Peregrine (Colorful Colorado) - See all my reviews
I needed to write a review for these little guys. I am a Polk fan, I will admit it, but I wasn't expecting much from these speakers as they were under a Benjamin Franklin and just 4.5" drivers. I wanted something inexpensive and small, and I didn't need something to "rock" my deck...as I have fairly close neighbors. I only have about 6 hours of playtime on these so far (not yet broken in), as its still winter here in Colorado, but these deliver much more than I expeced. I have them perched under the eave on our patio facing down on the deck, as to try and not to distub my neighbors. For the price, they sound incredible. Crisp and clear highs and punchy bass. Their low end is not too deep, only a 4.5" driver and small sealed cabinet, but nevertheless, they have a nice full sound. Don't expect miracles here people. Can I find better?...of course. Can I find better at this price...good luck trying to find it. Brackets are an engineering feat...installation was so simple and adjustment is as well. Before I installed them, I had buyers remorse thinking that I should have at least bought the Atrium 5, or Def Tech 5500...but that remorse is gone. Any more speaker wouldn't serve much more purpose on our deck...and the price was, well...perfect. If I had wide open area or a pool, yes, I would have gone bigger. But like I said, these fit the bill...perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommend, November 4, 2012
Great Product; I have had these on my patio all-season for the past two years. There has been no corrosion seen and the sound quality is great. Use these all the time; whether having dinner outside; parties; or sitting around the fire pit in the fall / winter. These speakers have seen seasons of heavy rain; including hurricanes; harsh cold and snowy winters.

Polk Audio Atrium 4 Outdoor Speakers (Pair, White)
$199.95 $79.99