Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback STEM

Color: White|Change

on April 27, 2010
I have had a "total" sound system in my home for more than 10 years - a set of Bose indoor speakers in each of three rooms; a set of Bose outdoor speakers in the eaves over my front door and another set in my outdoor screen room; and a set of Cerwin Vega "bookshelf" speakers in my TV/entertainment room. Just today, I added a set of Polk Audio Atrium 4 speakers to the system in order to pipe sound (satellite TV/DVD/CD)to an arbor swing located about 50 feet from the back of my house. I must say, I am impressed. The Polk Audio Atrium 4s sound every bit as good as the Bose speakers (if not better), and the quality of their construction appears outstanding. As this is the the set which will be most exposed to the elements, I was encouraged by the excellent "weatherproof" specifications and the fit and finish of the Atrium 4s. Only time will tell if they hold up as well as the outdoor speakers I now have, but at a price about $100 cheaper than the least expensive Bose outdoor speakers, they appear to be an extraordinary value for the money. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
55 comments|110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 15, 2012
I have been installing surround sound theatres in my homes for years... I was always the "First Kid On the Block" type. Also as a former accomplished musician amps, speakers and wires everwhere has been my plight for some 55 years (thats scary).

I have had the pleasure of owning speakers of all types and costs and can honestly say that polk has been my favorite choice as it provides a speaker array that can handle high watt output (8-4 ohm) and a full spectrum of audio range that is essential in obtaining a quality sound. The days of inter-modular distortion... "barking speakers" are pretty much gone from all makers shelves. But the Polk Atrium Series is a well made indoor/outdoor speaker that is perfect for your pool side, patio or onboard boat needs. However if you are looking for more punchy bass... I recommend upgrading to to Polks 6 series as the larger main speaker (woofer) has a more effective lower range. I have owned and opperated the Polk Atrium 4 in a number of differant venues with great enjoyment.

In my opinion the 4 series is a great all-weather speaker that is easy to install (comes with all the hardware) and if you have a smaller budjet 2-4 sets will fill your pool or linea area with music. However when ever possible adding two larger Atrium 6 series cabinets will enlarge your music spectrum (bass) and have a noticable improvement. I recommend placing your larger set under a soffit or at a closer quarter area to help enhance the speakers performance... becuase sound waves are all about moving air! Even the smaller Atrium 4 can sound more bass driven when placed in a more confined area that allows it to reflect/bombast more confined air. Do not be affraid to try out locations when installing multiple sets... enjoy! Tom Maroney retired Construction Engineer Boston, Massachusetts.
on November 1, 2011
Considered getting the Bose outdoor speakers, but after seeing the price and reading various reviews, decided on purchasing the Polk Speakers instead. GREAT VALUE and great sound. I am very please with this purchase.
on June 8, 2012
For $100 these are some pretty good overall outdoor speakers. I had a pair of JBL outdoors that developed some buzzing and pops so I needed a replacement and I went with these. For reference, every other speaker I own (except for a pair in the garage) is JBL, this was my first Polk experience.

Generally speaking they are a solid set of speakers. They give a pretty balanced sound all around but lack a little fullness in the lower mid-range. This is particularly noticeable when playing orchestral type music like film scores or piano heavy music. Going from the lower mids to bass is where they really start to have trouble. For the size of the speaker I certainly wasn't expecting to really "feel" bass but these do drop off noticeably in the lower frequency ranges. If there's something to knock with the Atrium 4's, that's it. With other types of music (country, rock, etc...) those issues aren't as noticeable. With that said they offer a nice high end treble sound that is pleasing to the ear. Overall the tone is brighter than I generally prefer (all of my JBL's have a warmer tone) but it certainly isn't a deal breaker for me. They don't by any stretch of the imagination sound unpleasant. For our purposes, general entertaining...using them for music outside while we do yard work..., they fit the bill very nicely. For $100 I am overall satisfied with this purchase. If you can afford to, or if a flatter overall response is important, then I'd probably look at something a little more expensive. If you are comfortable giving up some sound quality or if budget is an issue then certainly gives these a serious look.

Installing these babies was an absolute breeze. The mounting hardware supplied by Polk is virtually idiot proof. It simply could not be any easier to mount these speakers. The installation deserves 5 stars. The fact that they are virtually weatherproof is also a plus, you can mount them just about anywhere without fear of damage from the elements. One other thing I really liked was the ability to swivel and aim the speakers to exactly where I wanted them (this could not be done with our JBL's these replaced).

Power handling has not been an issue for me. I've got them hooked up to a 120 watt receiver and they been flawless to this point even at high volumes. We have a relatively large back yard so it takes some juice to disperse the sound and the Atriums are more than capable of taking it.

I'll summarize this way; if you're looking for an inexpensive way to get good quality sound outdoors with something that is ridiculously easy to install then the Atrium 4 deserves strong consideration. If you can afford to get in to an upgraded version then I would probably look in that direction solely for a better bass-lower midrange performance.
44 comments|46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 2012
At $99, these are not the most expensive speakers I've ever bought, and of course not the biggest. At lower volumes you might think they're underpowered. But give them some juice. Everywhere between half-loud to uncomfortably loud you'll be shocked (seriously, shocked) at the clarity of the sound.
on August 24, 2015
Outstanding! The sound these little guys produce is amazing. Don't be fooled by the size. I installed them outside just below the patio roof about 12 feet above and about 25 feet apart. The stereo amplifier I connected them to puts out 50 watts (RMS) per channel. I was astonished not just about the clarity, but the bass response is amazing! They sound better than the larger indoor speakers they replaced. The brackets on the speakers let you position them in practically any position. I installed them cornered facing center so that the sound will reach the seating area. These speakers are loud, clear, and aesthetically an addition to my patio.
on March 15, 2015
I'm a Bose man but these outdoor speakers are the best that I have ever owned for outdoor speakers.
on June 24, 2015
I would give 6 starts if I could, I recently bough these along with a pair of SS-B1000 SONY, I felt bad for the sony ones, these ones where supposed to be outdoors and the sony indoors, now I am trying to return the sony ones, I plugged both together and I couldn't even hear the sony, SS-B1000 was completely overshadowed by them.
Few products impress me so much, these speakers are fantastic, AMAZING. The bass is crazy, and you can hear every little detail, you can't even believe this speakers are this size if you close your eyes and listen to them.
Buy BUY BUY THEM NOW!
on March 27, 2011
I love this speaker !! It has a great sound for the $$. The mounting bracket system is heavy duty, very versatile and easy to install. I installed mine going horizontally in the corner and due to the 180 degree pivot lock system I could get them just at the right angle in no time at all. I'm using them in an indoor spa enviorment and had no problems with humidity effecting the speaker.
on August 2, 2015
As a once "professional" installer, I have put up countless sets of outdoor speakers. Most ranging around the $300-$400 a pair mark. Honestly, the only difference I can tell between them and these Polk Audio is the price tag. These speakers were VERY low profile! Once installed (if done correctly) they can blend nicely in with underneath the porch and can barely be scene at all! Simple to install, they just require a couple screws and then attach the "mount" onto the speaker itself using the included connectors. Again, I'm VERY happy with these and so was the customer I installed them for. They put out plenty of bass for their size. I did have to go into the amp settings and raise the bass level, but the speakers were more than powerful enough to handle them. I heard absolutely no static of popping of any keep. Just crystal clear audio. Will definitely purchase more in the future.