5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Sound !!
A Common frustration among home theater owners is that the dialogues are just not that clear and immersive as they find it in the actual theater.Most of the sound that you listen in movies in a 5.1 setup comes from the center channel and therefore the center channel deserves your attention if you want to fix the dialogue problem.
I have been through the same struggle...
Published on April 14, 2012 by chanakya

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
It's a bit better than the Bose VCS10 it's replacing, but I was hoping for some more punch. I do like the adjustable rear foot .
Published 10 months ago by C. Losinger

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Sound !!, April 14, 2012
This review is from: Polk Audio CS10 Center Channel Speaker (Single, Black) (Electronics)
I have been through the same struggle that most people go though.I used to increase the volume of the speaker to get the clarity in dialogues only to find that surround sound going up as well and drowning the clarity.
I have tried increasing the center channel volume up by fiddling with the receiver EQ but it generally ended up with a hollow sound. There was no weight, Depth and authority in the dialogues in previous speakers.

CS10 surpassed all my expectations when i listened to it.During my research, I saw the long list of positive reviews for CS10 mentioning how excellent the sound was.When i ordered the speaker and paid $120 , i was expecting excellent sound for the price.I was completely wrong.The speaker is not excellent for the price i paid, its excellent for ANY price.It can excel center channels at ANY price range.I setup it up with my pioneer 1020-K and it shines like a star when watching movies or listening to music.The mid range is amazing. The mid range frequency is where most speakers struggle.The bass goes down all the way to 50hz and its very clean and with no distortion or boomy-ness.Everything that comes out of this speaker is natural. Don't expect it to produce very low bass because that would be asking too much from a center channel. It does all the right things that a center channel is supposed to do which is to cover the mid range.I can hear all the Dialogues crisp and clear.

I hooked it up to my pioneer 1020K in 5.1 setup and put the setting in receiver to "neural" and the sound just blows me away every-time i listen to it.The Dynamics , clarity and authority in sound reproduction is excellent .Its hard to get all the three right in a center channel especially the Dynamics part.The Off axis dispersion is very good.make sure that you put rubber feats on this puppy if you put it on a entertainment center otherwise the vibrations produced by this speaker will interact with the cabinet below and can create resonance.I also suggest that you put your receiver in a setting where most of the sound is routed to this center channel.

My favorite pastime is to watch Shawshank redemption in a home theater setup with this center channel. It feels almost like a theater.Most of the dialogue dominated or midrange frequencies dominated movies have become pleasurable to watch again. A big thank you to cs10 designers especially the cross-over designer.

If you know anything about speaker design, you will quickly realize that its more like art and cooking than anything else.Just throwing expensive components while designing speaker is not enough.The cabinet and cross over design ( most difficult part) is where the magic lies and i think CS10 designers hit a home run on this one.Sometimes, the most expensive restaurant in the town cannot make the same amazing burger that a cheap neighborhood restaurant has luckily come up with. The same way, this particular speaker is hard to beat by other companies ( or polks own other models) irrespective of the money they throw at it because speaker design is more an art than pure science.

+VE :

* Clear ,Crisp sound with Excellent depth and range.
* Extremely low distortion at low frequencies compared to other brands.
* Solid Build.
* Decent looking Finish.
* Will bring out the same clarity and depth in dialogues that you hear in real theaters.

-VE :
* Size ( i don't know if this can be fixed by any speaker designer without compromising low freq quality)

Note: I have been using this Center Channel speaker for more than a year. Center Channel used/listened before : Bose, KEF, definitive tech,Paradigm, B&W , Martin Logan.

Update - 2014 :
The speaker still amazes me !

5.0 out of 5 stars Good match for Polk bookshelf speakers, February 20, 2009
When I bought a 50" HDTV a few years ago, I bought an all in one home theater package. The type you typically see in the $300-$400 Range. The surround was fun, but for listening to music it was pretty muddy. I decided to put together a better system. I started with a Yamaha Rx-V663 receiver and a pair of Polk Tsi-200 bookshelf speakers. Had I stopped there, I would have been very satisfied with that system for music. I listen to a broad range of music, but I have a strong preference for acoustic. And for that the 200s were very impressive for a bookshelf size speaker. I ended up with a whole Polk system. A 111 woofer, the CS10 and RM 6751 surround speakers. (If you have to make choices to stay within budget, put more money into the front speakers).

The CS10 is, as expected, a good sonic match for the Tsi 200s. For the money, it is a great speaker. Tht two mid range / bass speakers and the tweeter appear to be the same as the Tsi 200s. The speaker can handle a lot more volume than I need without reaching a point of distortion. If you look at my review of the Tsi 200s, I can pretty much say "ditto" for this speaker. And if you like the grille off look, the Cherry model looks great.

I know some people prefer to mix and match, but I think that, at least for the front speakers, sticking to the same brand and grade speakers makes for a consistent sound across the front wall.

I'm really happy with this system. It does a good job on movies and effects, and for music it really works well.

And if you are upgrading from one of those all in one low cost systems, you will be amazed at the difference.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Speaker for the Price, January 2, 2009
I purchased this center channel at Circuit city today. I paired it with a Sony STR DG520, Bose Acoustimass 10 cube surround sound speakers, Acoustic Audio PSW10. I have since played Transformers, Normal TV (digital cable), Halo 3, and Music Channel TV stations, and FM radio through it. I also listened to this against the $200 Bose Center channel, $250 Klipsch, $230 Boston Acoustic, and cheaper $110Polk Center Channel. The Polk was better than the Bose Center Channel as well as their cheaper $110 Center channel. I think the Klipsch sounded better than the polk I bought and the Boston Acoustic sounded about the same.. Hard to tell the difference between the Boston Acoustic and Polk CS10.

Overall this center channel sounds great. It livens up the music, movies are very clear and vivid sounding. There are better center channels out there.. But for the money I have not found one. I was looking for the cheapest good sounding center channel and I found it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality, Affordable Price, February 5, 2010
I am a home audio/visual amateur and certainly not a techie. About a year ago I purchased a Panasonic 50" Plasma HDTV. Although my home has built-in surround sound speakers in the ceiling, the rest of my system consisted of castoffs and mismatched speakers acquired over a long period of years. I subsequently added an Onkyo SKW204 Bass Reflex powered subwoofer and was amazed at the enhanced sound quality of my system. My Bose bookshelf speakers seemed adequate but over time, I grew increasingy discontented with the poor sound quality and performance from my center speaker that I had inherited somewhere along the line. I knew there had to be something better than what I was hearing.

After researching quality and price, I purchased the Polk Audio CS10 Center Channel Speaker and have been a very happy camper since. The sound is great, enjoyable, and, certainly powerful. The tinny sounding voices from my old unit have been replaced with strong, clear, crisp, and concise voices and center channel action. I notice the fantastic improvement especially when I watch a non-surround sound program or a program where most of the activity is center channel conversation. And the clarity of music and Blu Ray DVDs is noticeably enhanced by this speaker. I suspect my next purchase will be to match Polk Audio shelf speakers to this CS10 Center Channel Speaker. I highly recommend this speaker to those seeking more quality at a fair price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely love my CS10!, April 7, 2009
Upgraded to a Polk CS10 Center Channel Speaker and I have to admit that I have been debating over this speaker which has two 5-inch speakers or the CS2 (which has two 6.5 speaker). But in the end, I decided on the CS10. Right off the box, it was nice and sturdy. Removing the front grill, and it looks absolute beautiful.

Upon hooking them up, I noticed the difference in the clarity of audio dialogue. It seems as if the centers really came alive during spoken dialogue quite well and definitely notice a big difference from my Kenwood and RCA Pro Centers within the last 15 years.

For those purchasing the CS10, some may wonder if they should go cherry or black to save $20 more. If I had to do it all over again for my personal setup, I wish I went with black. The cherry features mostly all back from the front and sides but if you are the type who likes to remove the grill then it's all cherry in the front. Otherwise, if you don't, and keep the black grill on, it's mostly all black with the cherry mainly on the rear and back and underneath.

Anyway, big bang for an affordable price for the budget-conscious audiophile!

5.0 out of 5 stars What did they say?, February 10, 2011
I have two home theater setups, one with large Polk Audio speakers I chose and one with a Bose Acoustimass 10 that came with the house. I found my aging ears had much less trouble hearing dialogue from the Polk system, so I bought this center speaker to use with the Bose setup. Now I don't have to ask "What did they say?" nearly as often, and I don't need the volume as high. That's the pro. The con? I will probably end up replacing the remaining Bose speakers with Polk.

5.0 out of 5 stars dialog quality, September 10, 2012
Ordered this product because of difficulty hearing dialog in movies on my surroundasound system product worked very well much easier to hear speech over sound effects but sound effects are also improved all around quality is great and the price was right completely satisfied with the whole process and product from Amazon happy with the results

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound for a small price, March 2, 2012
I bought the Polk Audio CS10 Center Channel Speaker primarily because of the rave reviews it got. The first Polk Audio items I bought were just so-so (small satellite speakers) so I was depending on the reviewers and the Polk name when buying the Center Channel Speaker. Boy, am I ever glad I did! I was amazed at the rich and clear sound that pours forth from the speaker. Movie dialog sounds crisp as you would expect but cds sound great as well. At the time of the purchase, I was still using some vintage Bose 901s. The far cheaper Polk showed me what I had been missing all these years and made me a "Polk-aphile." If your finances are limited, buy this unit and use the money you saved to go toward some good Polk towers. You won't be sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Center that will show up lesser speakers., April 6, 2009
I was just putting together a new home theater setup and combined this with a Denon receiver. Let me say that this speaker has beautiful sound, really amazingly crisp and clear. You may have heard people talk about the holographic sound stage, if you have this speaker you will know what they are talking about. I don't regret buying it for one second.

However I did have one major problem, it really shows up the Sony speakers that I had received as a gift a couple of years ago. So much so that I've broken down and ordered a couple of TSi400's to team up with this. The only comparison I can make is that it is like driving in the mountains and the change in altitude causing your ears to block up and your hearing goes. That is the difference between this Polk speaker and the setup I had previously.

If you are beyond college and want to listen to music or movies without breaking the bank, then this line of Polk Speakers are a very good option.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good center channel speaker for the money, December 30, 2010
Paid $79.99. Price was a factor but so were reviews. Very good sound. Enclosure kind of big but gives you good sound. Sounds great with blue-ray DVD. Would buy more POLK brand. Good value. No Cons.

Polk Audio CS10 Center Channel Speaker (Single, Black)
$199.95 $103.62