5.0 out of 5 stars Polk Audio DB651 - Great speakers for the price.
Published on December 16, 2011 by J. Snyder

3.0 out of 5 stars The just is still out.
They jury is still out on these.

I've installed these in my Tahoe. They sound like they have potential, but I think they REALLY need more wattage. One of the speakers sounds much worse than the others, but that could be the output banks in the stereo.

I am going to upgrade the stereo, and amplify them to see if they perform as well as I had hoped. I...
Published 12 hours ago by Justin L Wilkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Polk Audio DB651 - Great speakers for the price., December 16, 2011
J. Snyder (Ft. Wayne, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Electronics)
First of all, these speakers are NOT 180 watts. According to the manufacturer, they are rated at a MAXIMUM of 60 continuous RMS watts per speaker. Peak power is an irrelevant number that anyone with at least half a brain discards. These Polk Audio DB651 speakers sound great! They have very clear highs, and solid lows. These aren't going to produce any astounding bass like a larger good set of component speakers, but for what they are, I've yet to come across anything that can beat them. Also and maybe most importantly, they have great (perhaps the best I've heard) tonal balance. In comparison, I also own a pair of the Polk Audio MM651, which sound great (lows/highs) and are even louder (more efficient) than the DB651 series, but the MM651 have an overly present midrange that takes a good equalizer to somewhat tame. Even equalized however, the MM651 series doesn't sound overall as well as the DB651 series. If you're looking for a great set of 6.5" speakers that have a balanced, warm and clear sound, and also perform well at higher volume levels, then I recommend the DB651. Especially, if they are under 70 bucks a pair! Furthermore, I'd highly recommend using an amplifier in conjunction with these speakers.

I am currently using a Kenwood DPX-701 headunit and Kenwood KAC-X542 amplifier that produces 80+ continuous watts RMS @ 4 Ohms X 4 in tandem with two pair of the DB651 speakers and they sound great. Unfortunately, I have to significantly attenuate the level and gain controls on the amplifier so I don't blow the speakers, and with the amazing sound quality, it's very tempting to crank it up. Matter of fact, one of the local officers was so intrigued by the intensity of my car stereo that he came over to where I was sitting (in my driveway) and wrote me a little white certificate of authenticity that I had to take to the courthouse and proudly display.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit and perfect sound..., October 19, 2009
J. Magee (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Electronics)
I purchased a set of four DB651's to replace the factory speakers in my 2004 Nissan Sentra. My intention was to replace the entire factory sound system piece by piece, but once I installed these speakers I realized I didn't need to change out my head unit or add an amp. These speakers sound perfect with the factory HU. I can turn the HU up to maximum volume and the Polk can handle it with no distortion. When I first installed them, I had a raspy popping sound, but I realized the factory subwoofer was still connected. Since disconnecting the Sub the sound has been perfect! These speakers pick up the bass perfectly, so I decided not to add a sub at all. The sound isn't competition quality, but more than what I'll ever need. Perfect full-range speakers for the average listener. Purchasing these speakers saved me a lot of money on replacing the rest of my system. Thanks Polk!! You have a new fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars these are IT !!!!!, September 15, 2009
This review is from: Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Electronics)
Just installed these today in my 1990 4runner in the front doors and bought speaker spacers wich were not required. Hooked them up to a orion cobalt 600.4 amp wow these things bump!! Ive read some reviews saying they have no bass thats crazy! These little things got a lot of bass plus highs and mids! Maybe the past reviewers were not putting enogh power to them. I also have a new pair of boston acoustic 6/9 these things blow them out of the water in every way! So time to get rid of those and get another pair of these! Get these you will be happy!! Cant wait to hear how they sound in a month after a full break in period!!
Update Sep 29 09 Just had another pair installed in the back and all I have to say is WOW!! Like I said before I had Boston Acoustic 6/9 s95 in boxes and they just cannot hang with these! You can get away without a sub with these! Love em!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great replacements for stock speakers, November 24, 2009
Chris A. Rood (Little Rock, Arkansas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Electronics)
I love these speakers. I just replaced the front door speakers in my 2009 GMC Sierra with these.
These are great replacements for your stock speakers. I am running them off of the stock stereo and they sound perfect. Very loud and clear. Tight bass, and crisp highs. I can turn the volume to max and there is zero distortion. These are an awesome product.

The Crutchfield advisor said that didnt fit but I am a DIYer and figured I could make them work. The only reason they didnt fit is because the stock speakers were built into the door mount. I cut the stock speakers our of the mounts. Did some trimming to the mount and then the Polk's fit perfectly.
The stock mount was a formed plastic piece that the speakers were built in to. The mount snapped into the metal of the door and were held by a screw.

Awesome product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Polk DB651 Car Spakers, October 8, 2009
This review is from: Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Electronics)
I bought these to replace speakers in a Pontiac vibe. I am extremely please with my choice. I also replaced the factory radio because the CD was skipping and hooked these speakers up to a JVC replacement radio. Wow, what a difference. I read several reviews b4 I bought these and would agree with many people that these speakers sparkle with brilliant sound. The replacement was easier than I thought. It was an excellent choice and I would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good speaker for the price., August 16, 2012
Tuan Khuu (PENSACOLA, FLORIDA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Electronics)
If you are broke and looking for a good speaker for the money. Get it. They sound good and have some decent bass. You wont be disappointed . I dont write many reviews but I had these for awhile before i upgraded to mm's . Let my friend have them , even without an amp they sound great and get loud.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best speakers for the money!, January 30, 2011
This review is from: Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Electronics)
I was in the market for a pair of 6.5 speakers for my old 96' Honda civic. All the speakers had stopped working and I was sick of not being able to listen to music or the radio while driving. I did a lot of researching and decided to go with these. Normally I would have gone with Infinity or Sony but these had a very good rating so I thought I'd give them a try. To be honest installing them was kind of a pain but that is not really the speaker or sellers fault. The person before me had installed (rather poorly) a set of after market speakers so I was forced to do a little jerry rigging to get these to fit correctly. I was a bit disappointed that these didn't come with a speaker adapter but a short trip to Radio shack fixed that and I would recommend you buy a speaker harness/adapter along with purchasing these.

After finally getting them installed I was blown away. I figured these would not perform much better than a cheapo set of OEM speakers but they BUMP. These speakers have crystal clear audio, great bass, excellent highs and mids and it is just an overall great speaker for the money. The build quality is solid and I can tell these things are going to last for a very long time. On a side note they also look pretty sweet with the grill on.

I'm so impressed with these I bought another set for my back speakers which surprisingly on my model are 6.5' not 6x9' and will be looking forward to installing them. You cannot beat Amazon's prices. $60 for 2 speakers and free shipping?? Incredible deal. I really wanted to get another pair ASAP and was thinking biting the bullet and paying retail but Fry's wanted $100 for the same exact pair!

In conclusion. You cannot go wrong buying these. I've seen some comments on here that are a bit negative on these speakers and I do not really see why. If you are expecting to be able to go to music decibel competition with these speakers and win do not buy these however; if you're looking for a great set of speakers for the everyday driver then these are for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2008 honda accord, March 9, 2014
This review is from: Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Electronics)
bought these for my lil accord. absolutely love them! at first they seemed a little shy with the sound, but now they are probably the best speakers i have ever owned in my lifetime. tight bass for the 80's music i grew up with, and with modern music also. those honda speakers that i extracted were rather ridiculous.....the magnet on the back of those plastic speakers looked like something my mom would use on a fridge. i bought these along with the speaker adapter cables so i didn't have to do any wiring......painless! definately worth ALL the effort.

here i am just now updating the review on march 9th 2014 and speakers are still going strong with zero sign of fatigue.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, but barely fits, rattle doors - '97 Civic, December 4, 2010
This review is from: Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Electronics)
This were for my wife's 1997 Civic 4-door DX to replace the front stock 6.5" speakers.

Amazon configurator says the db651 would fit OK, while Crutchfield configurator says db651 don't fit and recommend the shallow mount db651s for the '97 Civic DX. Who do you believe? I still went for the db651 since reviews pointing to better bass response than the slim db651s 's' mounts.

Ordered thru Amazon and arrived promptly.

They come with a pair of spacer/bracket adapters, a pair of foam gaskets, and hardware (screws, nuts).

Spacer/brackets do not fit in the Civic speaker holes and would raise the speakers too much, so did not use the spacers/brackets. Instead, I had to rest the speaker and foam gasket directly into the speaker holes and then drilled holes into the plastic door panel. Used the screws with the supplied hardware to fix the speakers in place. Tight fit, but is OK.

B.t.w, used the Scosche SHHA02B speaker harness.. works great.

Polks do sound a lot better than stock speakers. No amp, just using aftermarket HU with peak 52Wx4 (assuming its only delivering around 12-15W rms.. at most, but does the job).

Highs are incredibly crisp and clear. You can literally hear every instrument.

However, Certain songs containing lot of bass, specially those having constant sound of drums, would occasionally rattle the cheap plastic door panels on the Civic. When it happens, It only lasts a second, Might try adding some sound dampening stuff, but not that big of an issue very few songs if ever cause this. Most songs don's and we listen to all types of music.

Very happy with the purchase and glad I went with the db651 instead of the slim mounts.

Eventually will replace the rear 6x9's stocks with Polks db691.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great speaker for the price, not so great for the lows...., February 6, 2014
This review is from: Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Electronics)
Install was super simple into front door of 2005 Subaru WRX STi... speakers came with universal mounting rings that i was able to modify to fit my stock speaker location AND space the speaker out far enough for the window to clear when rolled down..... These speakers are great for the mids and highs, but lack in low end grunt.

Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers