5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic speakers
These speakers are great. Installation was much easier because the large, 8" opening you cut into the wall/ceiling makes it much easier to fish speaker wire. The mounting brackets securely fasten to the wall so there is no shaking or rattling. The tweeter can easily pivot to aim at your listening position. These are voice matched to the Polk "Monitor" series speakers,...
Published on June 6, 2007 by workindev

3.0 out of 5 stars Just remember what you're buying
I purchased 4 of the RC80i for surround sound in my living room, lefts and rights for both front and back speakers. My rationale in purchasing in-ceiling speakers was the desire not to have a room filled with visible speakers. The mounting was very easy. Just cut the holes via the template and slide them in. The grilles fit snug and I'm sure will be a challenge if I ever...
Published on March 25, 2008 by Ken Teese

‹ Previous | 1 2 349 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Installation tips, August 14, 2010
I don't have the right amplifier yet to judge the soud,Sound quality is good, installation is easy, and here sharing two tips:
(1) Template for cutting - for cutting out the dry wall, use the *outside* hole (the bigger hole), not the inside hole. Insert the template through the speaker to feel how much extra margin you need.
(2) Remove the metal grid - the best advise (in previous review from William) is first un-lock the four plastic clips (later used to lock to the dry wall), then push the clips from the back-side, and the metal grid will pop out. Don't try to poke or fish the grid from the small holes from the front side!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted, November 21, 2007
ostenh (Virginia, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Polk Audio RC80i 2-Way In-Ceiling Speakers (Pair, White) (Electronics)
I put 5 pairs of these in various rooms in our house, and am delighted with the sound. Highly recommended.

I do concur with the points another reviewer made: the cutout templates provide for a tight fit (cut the outside of the line when installing), and the grills are a real pain to get in and out - Polk should look at this last issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Price, Great sound..., January 19, 2007
I mounted these in my ceiling just behind my sofa. I intended these to just be rear channel speakers, but I they sounded good enough that I am sending my stereo through them now.

Installation was simple and I had them out of the box and playing music in under 20 minutes. The biggest hassel was cutting the hole and trying to avoid the insulation!

I am considering buying another pair to put on the back patio and would recommend these to even my best friends.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good. Would it sound better with baffling?, April 9, 2012
R. Pond (Vancouver, WA) - See all my reviews
This review relates to Polk RC80i speakers installed in a ceiling with an overlying attic. Most of the comments also pertain to most other in-wall and in-ceiling speakers on the market.

Installation of the speakers was not a problem.

As my wife said, the audio quality is "good but not great" compared to hi fidelity speakers in the next room. Not only are the lows mediocre, but mid-and high-range sounds are not exactly crisp. But the sound is good enough for surround sound or background music.

My main comment, however, relates to whether the sound (especially the bass) would be better if these speakers had some sort of enclosure (i.e. a box or at least insulation to reflect the sound). It is surprising that this issue is so seldom addressed by those reviewing as well as by those selling in-wall and in-ceiling speakers. I spent a couple of days googling for reviews (including reviews on audiophile sites) which discussed this issue. Here is what I learned:

1. Hi fidelity speaker drivers are engineered to perform well with speaker enclosures of specific size and other characteristics (e.g. insulation);
2. The majority of in-wall and in-ceiling speakers on the market are, like these speakers, sold without enclosures;
3. This is not to say that in-wall and in-ceiling speakers are necessarily designed to be completely "open baffle". They might perform best without any enclosure at all (e.g. when placed in a ceiling that has an attic above without any insulation covering the speakers). Or they might be designed to perform best when placed in a compartment of a specific size (e.g. the space in an 8 foot tall wall cavity created by 2x4 studs 16 inches apart). Remarkably, the speaker manufacturers do not, that I am aware of, specify the type of space in which they perform best;
4. Some manufacturers market in-wall or in-ceiling speaker enclosures (e.g. Dynamat, SpeakerCraft). Remarkably, some of these manufacturers (i.e. Dynamat) also do not seem to specify the types of speakers for which these enclosures perform well. That is, there is no assurance that the size of the enclosure matches the engineering of particular speaker drivers;
5. This muddled situation persists because most people are happy with what audiophiles would call medium to low audio quality;
6. It is probably overkill to build proper speaker cabinets for such mid-to-low quality speakers. Moreover, any speaker cabinets that you make may not even be the right size for such speakers;
7. There is still the possibility, however, that the performance of a typical, inexpensive in-wall or in-ceiling speaker might be optimized by using simple techniques such as a) surrounding them with sound suppressing material (the same sort used in acoustic panels); or b) placing a sheet of plywood over the ceiling joists when the speakers are placed beneath an open attic; or (who knows?) c) creating a large enclosure for less than $15 by placing a styrofoam cooler over them. The goal of such modifications would be to optimize performance of affordable speakers at minimal cost and with minimal effort. Another goal might be to limit the leakage of sound into adjacent rooms. The goal would NOT be to transform them into hi-fidelity speakers. Optimizing the performance of typical, non-hi-fi in-wall and in-ceiling speakers is still an important goal, however, given the very large numbers of such speakers that are sold including for expensive home theater and whole house audio systems.

4.0 out of 5 stars great sound, February 12, 2008
DMac (Long Island NY) - See all my reviews
sound great in large room. Installed four in 18x20 room. very difficult to get grill off without damaging it. only gave it four stars due to grill difficulty. polk needs to think about packaging without grill attached.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great buy!, January 18, 2007
I shopped around for similar speakers at local shops and places like Best Buy and Circuit City. All others were way over priced. The Polks were a great buy. I use them as the rear speakers in a surround sound. They sound great. The speakers come with a cutout template and a template to mask the speakers if you want to paint them. They were very easy to install. A very nicely designed speaker. I'm very glad I purchased them from Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound for the size, November 3, 2008
These are greats speakers for the price, much better bass than the 6" pair. I built my own speaker boxes to sit on top of these speakers in the ceiling, about 16" square, made of 1/2" MDF, and lined with 1" high-density foam. Without such a box, much of the sound will be lost in the ceiling cavity. You may not need to do this if you're installing in a residential location in an insulated cavity with wood studs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, July 1, 2008
As with most Polk products, these speakers are tough to beat for the price. I bought two pair for my 5.1 home theater setup. One pair for the front left and right, and the other for the back left and right. Note that using ceiling speakers for the front surrounds is not ideal. Unfortunately, my home was pre-wired this way with the cables in the ceiling. Bringing them down to the ceiling, cutting dry wall, etc. would have been a big hassle.

My setup:
Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR705
Center speaker - Polk CS2
Sub - Outlaw Audio LFM-2
DVD/CD - Oppo Digital DV-981HD

Your results may vary with different equipment.

Surprisingly, the sound imaging is pretty good even though the front surrounds are in the ceiling. The directional tweeters do help a bit with this. Bass is ok, but you'll want to pair these with a sub for home theater viewing. They also sound great with music. Overall sound is detailed but warm and never harsh with the highs. I cranked the volume beyond ridiculous levels and the sound remained true.

Installation was fairly simple. Use included template to draw circle. Cut hole. Remove grill. Connect speaker to wire, push into hole, then screw down clamps. Reinstall grill.

I did not have problems with taking the grills off or putting them back on like some other reviewers. Maybe Polk fixed the problem? When drawing the circle off the template, you may want to cut a hair outside of the circle. Even then the speaker will fit in snugly. Which is a good thing because that makes it much easier to turn the screws that are attached to the clamps (the clamps that secure it to the ceiling). Otherwise you'll have to hold the speaker and screw at the same time (uh..that's what she said).

Overall, great product for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for surround, January 4, 2012
We got these speakers because we wanted a better sound experience when watching TV. We find that we have to crank up our TV volume in order to hear the show. With 4 of these installed in our basement rec room, we find we don't have to have the volume turned up. It's connected to a pioneer VSX-1121K. And we are very happy with them. We paid $124 and now they are up to $147. We didn't want to have speakers filling up the room. I was afraid that with the lack of a center or front channels facing us would be an issue in terms of lack of sound. But it works just fine for our purpose. I know some folks have complained about sound. We are not audiophiles and our requirements are more for cosmetics and looks and sound second. And it exceeded those requirements. They are nice and sleek in the ceiling. The sound is great for our purposes. Installation was a breeze and solid. I was also concerned about how to remove the grill to install, but a paperclip works great. I love the fact that I can aim the tweeter dome. So they are all aimed at the sofa that will be across from the TV, under the two rears. I have the rears (left in the photo) connected to the rear surrounds on the receiver and the right (closer to the TV in front of the bulkhead) connected to the front mains. I made sure the ceiling was soundproofed when I installed them so there wouldn't be sound transfer to the floor above.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price; just don't play them too loud, October 30, 2007
For the low price of under $100, these are superb for a single purpose. For us, that purpose is soft, quiet background music in a formal dining room that is not used very often. If you intend to play louder or try to fill a room or section of your house, these speakers will not do well. They get muddy at higher volumes and do not have good bass.

But, for a small space where you only need background music, these can't be beat for the price. Once your hole is cut, these install easily. Cutting the hole is a project in and of itself. Be careful!

‹ Previous | 1 2 349 | Next ›

Polk Audio RC80i 2-Way In-Ceiling Speakers (Pair, White)
$329.95 $139.99