Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on February 12, 2009
Hard to believe these are "bookshelf" speakers., February 12, 2009
By Dr John Ficarro "Dr John" (Hollywood, SC USA) - See all my reviews

I decided to upgrade from my $400 range Pioneer home theater 5.1 package. At the moment I have a Yamaha RX-V663 receiver and a pair of cherry TSi 200s. With just these two speakers, the listening experience far exceeds what you here from the typical $300-$600 complete home theater packages you would typically find at Best Buy or Costco. Although I have the rest of my sytem on order, I could be happy if I only had these speakers. If you are a music lover, these will keep you happy.

That said, I should point out that my taste in music leans toward all things acoustic. Listening to a range of music from bluegrass to string quartets to full symphony, these have great clarity and you can hear every instrumen. Drum sounds are tight and even without a subwoffer, the mid-range / bass sounds really good. And vocals (think Nora Jones, Alison Krauss, or the gravelly voice of Dave Von Ronk), are handled with ease.

And if you like the look of speakers with the grille removed, get the cherry. It certainly looks like real wood veneer and the construction just oozes a look of quality.

The sky is the limit with speakers, but at $300 for the pair, these will make your ears as happy as speakers costing a lot more. These have very clear treble, I didn't notice any boominess in the midrange, and bass response was nice and tight. Based on these speakers, I expect that movies with effects should be amazing when the rest of the speakers arrive.
on November 2, 2008
These speakers sound great. They can handle some serious sound and not even flinch. Nice rich bass tones for such small speakers. And make no mistake when they say loud speakers they mean loud. No need for big bulky speakers like in the past.
You will not be disappointed with these babies.
on January 30, 2012
These were meant to go in my bedroom. I hooked them up in my home office temporarily until I built some shelves in the bedroom.

Unfortunately I don't think the speakers will ever make it to my bedroom. I thought my Bose computer speakers sounded fine until I hooked these up. It's probably not fair to compare computer speakers with these, but it's one of those things where you don't know what you are missing until you are exposed to something much better. So the bottom line is I will have to buy a second pair for the bedroom.

I have no problem recommending these speakers to anyone.
on November 18, 2010
I love these speakers. They look sensational, and even though they are not large, they deliver crisp, powerful sound. I am using them for a home theater setup (along with the wonderful Polk center channel) and even though I am not using a subwoofer, the bass is right where it should be. These speakers are definitely worth the money. If I could afford an acoustically transparent screen for my projector, I would buy their towers immediately. Hope this helps.
on August 27, 2012
I replaced a couple of AR2 speakers I bought in the 50's. They were wonderful for so many years, and then they were not so great. I never expected to find speakers that pleased me even more. These are half the size and the sound is as good or better. They are also very attractive. I am very pleased, to say the least.
on August 5, 2010
I just tested my TSi200 and am really amazed by the depth and purity of the bass. The frequences are really well balanced, which is striking considering the very reasonable price of this pair.

Do not hesitate!
on April 8, 2012
These speakers are like having 2 built in sub woofers. I wanted smaller speakers that are reasonably priced and and thrilled with my decision. These speakers have a great deep bass as well as nices highs and midrange. Only funky thing is the shiny black top of the speaker case. Not a problem but I wasn't expecting that. The sound is awesome. I enjoy rock, jazz and country. All have an excellent sound. My other speakers (in a different room) are Bose Acoustimas AM7's.
on October 12, 2013
They look fine in black, but spectacular in cherry. I had to get the black because I found a deal.

The sound is bright, spacious and revealing of depth and reverb, detailed regarding subtle musical elements, and very punchy on drums and such. Handles volume really well, but also good at lower volumes. Bass is good for such a small set of drivers, but I had a small sub sitting around, so I used it an it sounds great with the extra low lows. Mids can be a little thin sometimes but I am a recording engineer so this is useful to me to hear when things I'm working on are too thin in the midrange, this speaker can reveal that.

Break in is a big deal with these! In the first few hours I was regretting buying these, but, as they continued to break in over the next few days, the sound really "opened up" where at first there was this strained and plasticky thing that was bothering me.

Great set of speakers, totally changed my listening habits, I use these almost all the time now, out of several pairs I have set up. I'm pretty picky, and these are pretty impressive. Nice going, Polk!
on November 2, 2012
I'm slowly but surely upgrading the audio portion of my HT, and the TSi200's fit perfectly as my main speakers. They replaced an aging pair of Bose Acoustimass book shelf speaker. The sound is much cleaner/crisper than the Bose speakers ever were. My next purchase will be a powered sub to round out my system. The cherry finish looks great!
on June 11, 2009
The speakers have a well-balanced, natural sound. They are solidly made and look great. They will accept bare speaker wire or banana plugs and are biampable. They would benefit from a good subwoofer, obviously, but sound good by themselves. I bought them with the cherry Sanus speaker stands and that works great. Of course, if you really do use them in a bookshelf, that would enhance the bass.