5.0 out of 5 stars the Polk Audio R 150s
Published on February 1, 2009 by M. Daily

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK.
Published on January 27, 2007 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK., January 27, 2007
This review is from: Polk Audio R150 Two-Way Bookshelf Loudspeakers (Pair) (Electronics)
Perhaps I was expecting too much. I read the reviews on the R15 and expected this would be similar - perhaps the R15s would live up to their rating (currently 4.5) and the description of "superior detail". However, I found these merely OK. Pretty good bass (these have the bass port pointing back, whereas the bass port in the R15s point forward) but muddled in the mids and highs, denying good definition of guitar chords and "waterdrop" effects, for instance. For reference, I'm using an Onkyo HT-R520 receiver, 18-gauge wiring, and I'm comparing these to the original Onkyo main speakers that came in a home-theater package.

5.0 out of 5 stars the Polk Audio R 150s, February 1, 2009
M. Daily (the south, USA) - See all my reviews
I was reluctant to buy speakers on the internet. I relied on the reviews available and I am very glad I chose these speakers. I have an older harman/kardon home theater receiver, speakers, and sub woofer. Two speakers went out and I needed substitutes. I was worried that these speakers were inexpensive and wouldn't perform, but the reviews were right on. Give these speakers a sub woofer and you will be totally happy with your surround sound. 5 stars for the price I paid for these speakers. These speakers are just as good as those twice their cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain at twice the price, July 4, 2007
I got these for fronts to make an RM6750 set 7.1 surround. It's hard to believe when I'm listening that I paid what I did. A CD through just these two and the sub woofer totally works for me. For context, I am a medium audiophile, using this setup in a 14' square room with carpeting. Something I noticed after testing the 'upside down' theory I read about somewhere, the tweeters seem to project down a little. If below ear level the highs come through a little better if you flip them over. I could just be nuts though.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quiet? Sounds great! Loud? Not so much., April 5, 2008
I agree with Mr. Gruen's review: at volume (not cranked, distorted - just 5/10ths) they get kinda muddy, lose their sheen and tinkle and sound like they politely have their hand over their mouth. Odd, but at low volume they actually sound fantastic - balanced, clear, bright-but-not-tinny. I'm compelled to adjust the treble up a few db to compensate the more I turn the knob.

They feel somewhat well built, a little hollow-sounding, although I haven't taken them apart to tell and frankly, since I have them hooked up and in place, I guess I don't want to know.

Don't bother trying for "loud" from these little guys. They'll start to sputter break up well before you can hurt your hearing. I suspect these were engineered specifically for surround applications as sides or backs - they're very non-intrusive that way.

I use them to augment ceiling mounted stereo-only speakers, feeding TV, CD's and XM Radio through a wonderfully quiet and simple 15 year old 100watt/per Yamaha reciever. When I light up the whole stystem: kitchen, great room, dining, patio (through a Sima balancer), they do the job sufficient enough to get three stars.

Note that stereo-only TV augmentation is very good - it's CD's and XM that sound a little muddy.

4.0 out of 5 stars No Regrets, December 30, 2011
I got these speakers on sale. I use them for bookshelf speakers in an apartment where listening at top volume is rarely an option. I have been very pleased with the sound these speakers produce from crisp highs to clear and punchy bass. I have no regrets about buying these speakers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value, February 26, 2008
I got these speakers from fry's website delivered for $60 bucks, they are my front l and r speaker currently with plans to move them to the rears when i get floor standing speakers. But I must say I am very happy with these, they are currently plugged into a Logitech computer receiver and these baby's really pump. The finish of the speakers and build quality is very nice as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Budget audiophile, December 6, 2011
I added these Polk R150 bookshelf speakers to my living room, powered them with an inexpensive miniature T-amp (Lepai Tripath TA2020 Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Amplifier), and added an old powered subwoofer to complete a basic stereo system for watching TV, movies, and listening to music.

Compared to my old Sony satellite speaker surround system, the improvement is profound. It took some fooling around with speaker placement to get a full sound stage and good frequency response through the range, but the effort was worth it. For a while I thought about returning these and buying floor standing speakers instead, even though I really don't have room for them. I'm glad I didn't because the sound I'm getting now is perfect. Realistic sound effects, clear instrument separation, open and involving background music, the improvement is easily as great as replacing a blurry old CRT tv with a nice HD Plasma screen.

For about two hundred dollars, you can buy these speakers, amp, a powered sub, and some decent cables. These parts ad up to a great sounding, punchy, and remarkably detailed system. I would pit this setup against systems costing well over $1,000 without hesitation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Little Giants, January 26, 2009
These Very Well Could Be The BEST "Budget" Speakers Ever Made.

I am using a Pair for my Font Left and Right(With a Polk CSR Center Channel Speaker).
I will move these to another position when I can put together a 7.1 system.

The bass is slightly lacking but hey look at the size and price.The mids and Polks Tweeters Provide Immersive Sounds for Both Home Theater and Stereo Listening.

They Sound Like they cost at least twice their price.So what others dont know when they hear a movie using these as the front speakers wont hurt them.
Normally the comment is incredible sound,what did you pay for the front speakers(Including the Center)($500-$600.00)?I Just smile when I tell them all 3 speakers were under $200.00.

These R150's will be in my Home Theater For A LONG TIME To Come.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, good speakers to compliment a complete system, January 15, 2012
J. Stepro (Northern Virginia) - See all my reviews
I hate to admit it but again price was driving my choice of speakers. However, when I ran across these Polks I recall friends having good luck with Polk so I had some faith they would be OK.

Still, these were better than I expected. The evening they arrived I hooked them up to my Sherwood receiver. As it happened, there was a PBS performace with Herbie Hancock and the LA Philharmonic in HD. It was a great test for these speakers.

I was impressed by the amount of low end. These are not equal to subs, but for bookshelf speakers they are pretty good. My plan is to eventually get a small powered sub to compliment the system.

While I am sure there are better speakers (for a larger price) the sound quality and separation on each channel is good. Positioning is important so follow the direction with the speakers to help you place them in the room. The bottom line is these are great for the price. If you are piecing out a home theater system these will make a great left and right channel speaker choice. Just count on a sub or center channel to really complement the arrangement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little speakers and a real bargain, November 12, 2011
Bought these to use as the rear speakers on my 5.1 surround sound system in our family room. They are typical POLK quality, which is always high IMO. Crystal clear sound with nice coverage of the entire spectrum. I use these in conjunction with a Polk CS10 center, and Polk Monitor 50's as front's, with a Bic F12 Sub. All are driven by a Sony STRDH820 7.2 Channel 3D AV Receiver. Most impressive system for very little money, when compared to the high end stuff out there these days. I'm very pleased.

Polk Audio R150 Two-Way Bookshelf Loudspeakers (Pair)
$179.95 $134.95