4.0 out of 5 stars Wireless Wonder
I was looking for a surround speaker system for my new 72" Mitsubishi DLP. The TV came with a wireless Polk sub, so I purchased a pair of Polk Monitor 60's. The sound was good but I needed to add the rear surround. I could not find any customer reviews on the Polk F/X Wireless surround speaker, but I figured with my other Polk speakers, I would take the Plunge. I am...
Published on January 18, 2011 by Pennz

1.0 out of 5 stars Convenient, but that's about it.
When it comes to ease of setting this up, there's no comparison. Simply connect four wires from your receiver up to the transmitter box. Plug the speaker into an electrical outlet and place it behind your couch. Refer to the distance table in the setup guide for the correct values to enter into your receiver's configuration. (They don't recommend using Audigy or...
Published on March 20, 2011 by aurick

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Good concept, bad execution, September 5, 2013
This review is from: Polk Audio F/X Wireless Surround Sound (Black) (Electronics)
Popping noises, interference etc. but when it worked, the quality was awesome! Polk tech support was very helpful but they couldn't fix it either. I ended up returning it. As I said, good concept, bad execution.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I didn't listen., June 6, 2013
Saw the reviews that were neg. Made me wonder if they really ordered this product. Mine is about 25 feet away from amp and it works great. Lost contact one time and unplugged and replugged and it has worked great since then. Maybe they should read directions. Used the automatic set up on pioneer amp. Would surely buy again. Update, Have had over a month now works great. Even have speakers on top of microwave and it stopes while microwave is on and comes back on as soon as it is off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply awesome~, January 9, 2013
Jim Sirk (Charlotte, NC USA) - See all my reviews
I received my speaker today and immediately hooked it up. My Sony receiver is only capable of 6.1 surround so I did not use the surround back L/R channels. Once I had everything cabled, I powered on the speaker and wireless transmitter. Within seconds, they synced up and I was up and running. I fired up the Blu-Ray player and was immersed in surround sound. I have my speaker behind the couch on the floor. I would highly recommend this product to anyone that wishes to have rear surround speakers without the hassle of the wiring on the floor or ran in the walls.

5.0 out of 5 stars Third Time was a Charm!, December 11, 2012
FINAL REVIEW AS OF 1/9/2013
===============================
I received the 3rd transmitter from Polk Audio this week. Finally, everything works perfectly.

This is a really great wireless speaker - just be sure you get the latest version.

I will also give great kudos to Polk Audio's Technical Support team. I spoke with them several times in getting this resolved and they were super.

Finally, after trying 2 different speakers and 3 different transmitters, it works great.

UPDATED REVIEW AS OF 12/28/2012
===============================
Ok - so the first unit I purchased received 1 star (would have given 0) for reasons you can read below.

Then, the 2nd unit I purchased, the "New & Improved" model was so much better, I gave it 5 stars. That is, until I found out that overnight, the unit would lose the sync between transmitter and speaker, and the only way to get it back was to unplug the transmitter, wait 10 seconds, and plug it back in.

So, now I am downgrading it again to 3 stars. When it's working, it is great! But, it's a pain to have to unplug/replug it every time I want to use it.

I spoke with Polk Audio Technical Support (800-377-7655) and they are sending me yet another transmitter (3rd one). We'll see if this solves the problem.

If it does, I'll be back to update my review.

UPDATED REVIEW AS OF 12/13/2012
===============================

Well I was glad to see that when I received my 2nd speaker after returning the 1st one (see my previous review, below), there was a nice red label on the box that said "New & Improved - Series II". So, at least there was the hope that there actually WAS a version where the problems had been fixed.

I am happy to say that after hooking up the new transmitter and speaker that the promise of "New & Improved" has been actually realized! The new version performed great, right out of the box, and all the popping, dropped audio, and static that the first version had was completely gone! Hooray! :)

I can now place my transmitter out of sight (18 feet away from the speaker) and enjoy great 7.1 surround sound without running 4 additional sets of speaker cables around the room.

I am upgrading my rating from 1 star to 5, and can highly recommend this speaker -- provided it is the "New & Improved - Series II" model. If you have purchased the previous version and are experiencing problems, I suggest you return it and order it again, making sure it comes directly from Amazon.

Thanks Polk & Amazon for correcting this in a relatively painless and timely manner!

PREVIOUS REVIEW
===============
I purchased this speaker and received it just last week (December 8, 2012). Installation was a breeze and the speaker sounds great in my living room (which is 18 X 16 X 9 feet) with my new Onkyo TX-NR616 7.1 receiver.

However, I experienced the same problems that others have reported here -- popping, static, loss of signal, etc. This happened often when I walked between the transmitter and speaker, or whenever I adjusted the recliner just in front of the speaker. I tried moving the transmitter and speaker all over the room. It only worked perfectly when the transmitter and speaker were within about 6 feet of each other -- not acceptable!

After speaking with Polk Audio Tech Support twice (great experience both times), I learned that Polk has recognized that this was a problem. I was told that I probably had the "A" version of the speaker, and that I should get the newer "B" version.

When I looked at my Amazon receipt, I found that I had inadvertently ordered it from "Clear View Movies", and not directly from Amazon. Clear View Movies, according to Polk Audio Tech Support is NOT an authorized dealer.

So, I am returning the first speaker (version "A") and ordering it again, this time directly from Amazon. Hopefully, I will get the "B" version this time. At least, since I am ordering directly from Amazon, I will be able to get more assistance from Polk Audio -- if needed.

I'm hoping it's not needed.

But, buyers beware -- be sure to purchase this directly from Amazon and not one of its other sellers.

I hope this post has been helpful; I will update it once I get the new speaker installed. Hopefully, you (and I) will hear good news.

Merry Christmas to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Surprise, September 9, 2012
After reading some of the reviews here on Amazon, I decided to check these out. I have an Onkyo TX-NR708 Home Theater Receiver. I have 2 Canton speakers as my main front speakers, Polks for the center, subwoofer and rear surround (Monitor 30's). I decided to buy the FX to see if it works well so I could use the Monitor 30's as my front high speakers. WOW! Was I impressed. Setup was a little guesswork as they have a few ways to hook these up. I wound up using the speaker terminal with speaker wires. The wireless connection, though was a snap. Not sure what all the negative reviews are about (they must have gotten defective speakers) - mine works like a charm. I used Audyssey to calibrate and it worked fine. I love this system....NO WIRES, GREAT SOUND, GREAT PRICE what more could you ask for? I have a condo in FL that I just bought a new Onkyo TX-NR818 and have a pair of Klipsch Heresys. I was thinking I should stay with Klipsch so the sound would be consistent through the system, but the price, sound quality and convenience is so compelling for the Polk FX that I will probably buy this for the Home Theater in FL.

1.0 out of 5 stars I hate it but its too late.., March 31, 2013
Bought this a few years ago and I am finally writing a review because I just now have some sort of resolution to my issues with it. I first purchased this off Amazon thinking it would solve my speaker wire issues. It actually caused more problems than before. This speaker is highly sensitive to interference and I cant even use my laptop in the same room while its in use. The speaker will pop and snap and the white noise is awful. I have had the speaker replaced under warranty and had the transmitter replaced three time. Nothing has made a huge difference but it has now become livable. When it works it works but that is not very often. I have also adjusted levels and moved equipment around. I even swapped outlets and other interference aspects have been eliminated.The issue is that it operates on a 2.4 GHz channel rather than a 5. This of course gets interference form wireless in the house and kind of defeats the purpose.

One huge plus has been Polk's customer service but since I waited so long to return i am now stuck with this lemon. Do yourself a favor and skip this even if its a hundred bucks. The headaches are not worth it and you will be like me. Almost a year and a half later still trying to get it to be a better system than it is.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice sound, but................., March 25, 2011
I ordered both this Polk product and the Polk wireless subwoofer-- the latter works great, but was disappointed with the wireless rears. Instruction manual has few details and not helpful, and even shows two diagrams of the unit which are different. Speakers do not have their own volume control, so you have to adjust the volumes on all of your other speakers to accomodate this-- not a huge deal once you get it set up. Main problem encountered was that each time turned TV on, speakers didn't work unless I manually re-set the wireless transmitter and re-set the speakers. In calling the 1-800 Polk Audio tech support line, the tech told me he has the same issue with the product in his home; he offered a couple of possible solutions, but neither worked. Thus, it appears that once the speakers either lose power (you have to manually turn them on/off) or they go into sleep/standby mode (there is no 'standby' switch, by the way-- what is apparently built in is that the unit goes into sleep mode after TV turned off for 15-20 minutes and speakers receive no signal), they require manual re-set to function again. It is hard to imagine that two wireless products from the same manufacturer could have been engineered and perform so different. When the speakers are connected, they operate great, but if you buy, plan for the constant manual re-set process each time you want to have rear sound.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Ready For Prime Time, January 26, 2011
This product has the potential to great but not yet. Installation was extremely simple as expected and it worked right out of the box. I then popped Avatar into my Blu Ray player and cranked up the volume. As far as the overall performance and sound I would give it 5 stars. The problem starts when you turn down the volume. When you are watching non action scenes and the voltage to the speaker drops below 20 Millivolts the speaker "times out." When this happens you here a popping noise or in my case a fazer type sound which is very annoying. I joined the Polk Audio discussion forum and found I'm not the only person complaining about this problem. What Polk Audio needs to do is make it so the speaker will only time out when there is no input for say 15 minutes. If they make this change then I will purchase it again and give it 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good wireless upgrade for us, no problems, November 30, 2013
So far a great improvement over the Sony HTIB IR wireless surrounds we've been using for years. It took a while to tweak the volume levels for the rear channels before the Polk unit sounded OK, but just right when I finally set them at -3.5 dB below the front speakers. While it might not rival the best of audiophile setups, it presents a clear and believable surround effect. Used in combination with a Polk front/center/subwoofer, I am pleased.

We've been using for several hours over the past three days, and have not noticed any of the popping or fadeout problems that have been noted elsewhere in the reviews. I also agree it might be easier to adjust this if it had an overall volume control, instead of relying exclusively on the receiver (I would imagine adjustment would be difficult if your receiver doesn't have an on-screen menu control/menu system).

2.0 out of 5 stars Noisey, November 3, 2013
When placed behind viewing area it has loud white noise coming out of it, so is gets pretty obnoxious hearing a steady fuzz noise the whole time. This is with the latest model, not the first model.

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

Polk Audio F/X Wireless Surround Sound (Black)
$449.95 $252.37