Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Polka Dots-A Year in the Life of Sydney (A Year in the Life... Book 1)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on December 19, 2011
Domino's Polka Dots will have you routing for her characters from page one when an egotistical womanizer uses Sydney for sex than laughs at her because he thinks she's crazy if she thinks he'd ever admit to being involved with someone as fat as she is. Right from the beginning my emotions were everywhere - wanting to defend Sydney, cry with her, laugh with her, slap the common sense back into her and ultimately fall in love with her. I never wanted the story to end, feeling I would be leaving good friends behind.

Sydney Kalani is surrounded by people who love her, but she still cannot see beyond her 250 pounds. Going to drastic measures to lose weight for the guy on the first page, she ends up finding that her beauty wasn't found by reading the number on the scale. It was within her the whole time. Unfortunately, she learns this the hard way and risks losing those who saw her inner beauty when she still weighed 250 pounds.

Open up your heart to Sydney and be her friend. You won't regret it!
on April 24, 2012
Polka Dots-A Year in the Life of Sydney The idea behind this book was good. Overweight girl doesn't like herself. Loses weight. Discovers that true beauty is inside. The execution of the plot just didn't work. The author created so many crises between Sydney and her best male friend, her love after she lost weight, that they soon became contrived, an excuse to make the book longer. One third of the way through I found myself hoping that the bulk of pages were a second novel and not this one going on and on any longer. No such luck. Things would calm, then another 'crisis' would occur. I won't even get into the use of 'I seen', 'their' when it should be 'there', 'you're' when it should be 'you' and more grammatical errors all through the book. They made the character sound stupid along with the constant use of 'skank' to describe any other women she didn't like. In much of the book she didn't talk or act like a woman with inside beauty and she wasn't anyone I would want to know. I won't read another book by this author.
on January 11, 2012
Grammar issues and overuse of phrases made this difficult to read at times but I plodded on. I really liked the premise, but the story went on waaaaay too long, plus some of the "twists" were just stupid. Girl has surgery, loses weight, realizes that the love of her life is right in front of her face but can't stop flirting with other guys?! Oh, and then there is the whole modeling contest (because she does have "a pretty face") Don't waste your time on this one.
on January 2, 2012
I had to stop reading this book, the lack of competent proofreading and the horrible grammar just made it too painful.
on April 1, 2012
This novel stole my breath away! Sydney's world is so realistic and heartbreaking as it is uplifting. The writer has not only a gift for snappy dialogue, but a gift for breathing life into characters that are very hard to forget and leaves you aching for more. Excellent job! I will definitely read more books by this author!
on January 7, 2012
I had purchased "Letting Go", another book from Domino, and I fell in love with it so I figured I would try this one. It's really good as well. It's about an overweight girl named Sydney and how she tries to lose weight so she can finally get a boyfriend and quit being used. I loved the sweet, sensitive Sydney; the really sassy and short-tempered Rebecca; and Tayler, the friend of Sydney but becomes more involved with her throughout the story. It definitely has a lot of twists and turns... once you're 3/4 way done with the book, you go back to the beginning and be like, "How did it get here?!" haha but it really is a neat book. I would really recommend it.
on March 8, 2012
I am happy, happy, happy to finally get to finish this novel!!! This was the very first novel I began reading on Textnovel, and I was bitter when Domino took it down because I wanted to know what happened to Sydney. I am much happier now because you have it available here so that many more people can become fans of Sydney and her cast of friends. Please support this awesome book. It is well worth your time. :-)
on December 22, 2011
Loved, loved, loved this story! I read it as she wrote it on Textnovel and grew soooo impatient waiting for the next chapter to come! I loved Sydney and Taylor! :)
on June 17, 2012
I just finished this book and while the story idea is a good one, with a good message -- who you are on the inside is what really counts -- but it is so difficult to plod through this book. The errors in spelling and grammar really drag this book down. The author needs to go back to school and learn some grammar foundations or find a editor/friend/proofreader who has solid grammar and spelling skills. The word "seen" is constantly misused throughout the entire 386 pages of this book. Additionally, the word "you're" and "your" are misused. If I didn't have to re-edit the text as I was reading, I might have actually enjoyed this book.
on August 21, 2012
This is the 1st and only book out of 100 or more books that I have read where I disliked the main character. I understand Sydney had her insecurities, but damn even when she lost a lot of the weight she was still very insecure, (even her best friend and other ppl would tell her to get over it), it was a bit over done when it came to that. She was very contradicting, dumb, and oblivious. She's contradictive bcuz one minute she's jealous bcuz the one guys she lusted over for 2 yrs (Joel) wouldn't pay any attention to her around the office, but when she ended up with the man she loved (Taylor) who also worked in the same office, she wanted to keep their relationship on the down low bcuz of what ppl may think, while he wanted to shout it to the world. She trusted the wrong ppl when it was clear they were not trustworthy, but had to find out the hard way. She wanted all the attention she never got b4 when she was bigger and when she lost the weight, she started lettin it get to her head so bad to point she starts makin stupid mistakes that totally were avoidable, in her relationship with Taylor. Not only that, but her attitude screamed childish at times when it came to her and Taylor's relationship. Most of all it was her insecurities and contradictions and childish behavior at times that made me really dislike her. The book gets 3 stars bcuz I loved the hell out of her best friend Rebecca, need more ppl like her in the world. And I loved Taylor and dnt think Sydney deserved him. And I hated the endind btw, very weak. Will not be readin the 2nd book bcuz I can already tell by readin the description that I will continue to dislike Sydney. Read if you want to ppl.