5.0 out of 5 stars Flavor find of the year
This summer a fellow gardener/foodie/food blogger made a tomato cobbler from cherry tomatoes from her garden. I was dazzled by the rich, sun-drenched flavor. One of the key seasonings was fennel pollen. I was hooked!

Published on November 28, 2009 by Hilary Cable

3.0 out of 5 stars The tin is a terrible container for a great product.
The pollen is fine, but the tin is a disaster - it doesn't open easily. Very pretty to look at, but worse than useless as a container for loose powder.

Published 2 months ago by Jo Ann

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Flavor find of the year, November 28, 2009
Hilary Cable (Altadena, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fennel Pollen (0.5 oz.) (Misc.)

Never had fennel before? You probably have and didn't know what it was. Fennel is the small ribbed seed that gives Italian sausage its unique flavor. Fresh fennel bulb (available in almost all groceries) is terrific added to marinara sauces where you need a little extra flavor. Fennel pollen, however, takes the flavor to a new level. Just a pinch added to dishes with pork, chicken or tomatoes gives you an deep rich taste of fennel. Fennel pollen pairs exceptionally well with hard Italian cheeses such as Romano or Parmesan, and with dishes made with dry red wines. I've really just begun to experiment with its uses. I'm sure it would be great in some Indian dishes and even tossed into scrambled eggs.

Just keep in mind that the flavor of the pollen is much more concentrated than the seeds or the fresh bulbs. Start with just a pinch and taste before adding more. Nine dollars may seem like a lot of money for a tin of spice, but fennel pollen is so strong that this tin will last a long time. It's really a bargain when you consider how little you use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Company with a Wonderful Product, January 10, 2010
This review is from: Fennel Pollen (0.5 oz.) (Misc.)
I love finding new spices to play with in recipes and was excited when I came across this product. In my family the love for the flavor of fennel has long been a favorite and I planned on giving a can of this to my father for Christmas. When it did not arrive on time due to an addressing error, Pollen Ranch very generously made up for the mistake by sending me a sample of their products. The evening the package arrived I made Chicken Piccata, adding the poultry blend to the flour (although just a tad because it does not take much). The flavor was subtle yet with marvelous savor and will now be a permanent addition to my recipe. The next day I made Spiced Muffins and added a bit of the Fennel Pollen to the streusel topping, which again, added a unique flavor that was alluring to the taste buds. I have now tried the Fennel Pollen and Fennel Pollen Blends with a variety of recipes and loved the flavor they bring to everything I have cooked. Next on the menu is to create a fennel flavored chocolate truffle as a gift for my dad (it really is his favorite spice)- I imagine these will be wonderful as well. I encourage anyone looking to add another flavor dimension to their recipes to give the Fennel Pollen a try, I do not think you will be disappointed. And with the outstanding service the the Pollen Ranch extends to its customers, I will be supporting their company as often as possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars INCREDIBLE FLAVOR EXPERIENCE!, May 20, 2009
This review is from: Fennel Pollen (0.5 oz.) (Misc.)
This new taste sensation is a wonderful addition to one's spice arsenal. IMHO, it should be used as a dusting (like paprika might be used) just before serving for greatest flavor impact. It is subtle, ethereal, haunting. I want to use it on everything!!! It tastes, to me, a little like fennel fronds, a little like curry, a little like flowers, but better than all three! BTW, the supplier sent free samples of some of their other blends. They were wonderful too.

5.0 out of 5 stars YUM YUM YUM, May 28, 2011
Cas (the Idaho mountains) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Fennel Pollen (0.5 oz.) (Misc.)
This is amazing stuff. Buy it. Sniff it and think "it doesn't smell all that great," but trust that it'll taste a lot different when cooked. Use a pinch or so in red sauce or wherever you want a richer, more complex "Italian" taste. Taste the results. Make noises and gestures like the Gourmand Skeksis from "Dark Crystal" in the feast scene. I'm not kidding. It's that good. It's fennel, but you won't taste fennel once it's cooked. It's more like ZOMG WHAT DID YOU PUT IN THIS. It tastes a bit of a spicier, richer oregano, maybe a hint of cumin. If you love good food, and you love Italian, please treat yourself and try this stuff.

1/2 oz is a tin the size of the ones you see at organic shops at the registers with the hard European fruit-flavored hard candies in them, like 2.5" or 3" across. They're not even half filled, probably due to settling, but you really don't use a lot at any one time, so it'll last a long time.

The manufacturer I ordered from thoughtfully included recipes and free samples of other spice blends using fennel pollen; I gave one of the little samples to a friend, who was sniffing it all day with the biggest smile on her face. This is a definite good thing to have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this, March 13, 2010
This review is from: Fennel Pollen (0.5 oz.) (Misc.)
I became aware of this product from a Food Network show with Anne Burrell. She made a brined pork chop that is out of this world. The fennel pollen is amazing in this dish! Although a bit expensive, you don't need to use a lot and you will think you are eating in a top restaurant with this dish (make the sides; the Parmesan polenta featured with the chops on the web site is fantastic). I first bought this product here, but later found it at a local gourmet grocery store. They cut back on what they carry and I'm not sure I can still get it. I will order from Amazon again. Although this brand has other flavors, I haven't tried them. I like this pure fennel pollen so much I haven't wanted to try any other. I'm looking forward to warmer weather so that I can grill the pork chops with fennel pollen again.

5.0 out of 5 stars As advertised, September 14, 2009
This review is from: Fennel Pollen (0.5 oz.) (Misc.)
I ordered this after watching a PBS program with Joann Weir cooking "Pork - The Tuscan Way." I searched the internet and found this product - checked the reviews and ordered it. Arrived promptly as advertised plus it came with a surprise bonus of a few free samples of other pollens. Very good and I highly recommend the product, the company and the recipe. Just do it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, I found it to be equivalent to fennel seeds, December 7, 2013
Sam (Walnut Creek, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fennel Pollen (0.5 oz.) (Misc.)
I found this fennel pollen to be identical in flavor and impact on my foods to fennel seeds. In fact I found the pollen to be closer to finely shopped fennel seeds than anything else. That said, it is a great quality product and compliments foods well, in any case that fennel seeds would. The flavoring is more concentrated, so you need less pollen than you would use with seeds. Therefore a tin of this size will last a lot longer than the equivalent size tin of seeds. Overall, I would recommend the fennel pollen, just do not expect it to be different in flavor to standard fennel seeds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exotic, full bodied & heavenly!, February 18, 2013
This review is from: Fennel Pollen (0.5 oz.) (Misc.)
Needed this ingredient for a NY Times recipe, a crown roast of pork. Had never heard of it before but was able to order it domestically from The Pollen Ranch as opposed to Italy and have to say-a little goes a long way...it gave my recipe the "wow" factor. I have since used it in many of my other roasts, soups, etc and it elevates the flavored to a whole other dimension. Love it! Fast shipping too!

3.0 out of 5 stars The tin is a terrible container for a great product., December 30, 2014
Jo Ann (Pacific Northwest, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fennel Pollen (0.5 oz.) (Misc.)

I was able to keep the spill to just a half a teaspoon or so - I had been hoping that perhaps inside the ingredients would be in a bag just in case - but that was after several minutes of trying to use my nails under the edge of the lid to ease it up bit by bit. The lid wouldn't turn - not even with one of my jar openers. There's no twist mechanism or lip to grab hold of.

I have decanted the pollen into a small glass container so I don't have to deal with spills as I use the product. Unless they change the container I'll buy elsewhere when I need more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great flavor, terrible container., January 5, 2015
This review is from: Fennel Pollen (0.5 oz.) (Misc.)
Fennel pollen is delicious and will brighten up almost any dish. However, the container is terrible and is so difficult to open that I worried I would spill all the pollen out every time I opened it. I ended up putting it in a different container and am much happier with the spice now.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›