4.0 out of 5 stars Takes you back
Published on January 1, 2010 by Paul T. Kendziora

3.0 out of 5 stars Was okay.
Beautiful scenes but once you seen it, doubt you would watch it again. Follows a few pond teams of semi skill level but one guy loves himself so much, his ego leaves you with a bad taste. You could see why he never made it pro. Rent it from library, fast forward the guy with the big head.
Published 8 months ago by Simone

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes you back, January 1, 2010
This review is from: Pond Hockey (DVD)
Growing up in Buffalo, New York it wasn't hard to find something frozen to skate on between December and March. The movie makes me proud of the fact that I am of a generation that learned so much from the outdoor game. You learned to skate on the slightly rougher surfaces of a pond or backyard rink. You stayed outside hours upon hours, working on stickhandling or your wrist shot....when you got your skates sharpened and first went out, those first few strides were euphoric! You would watch the Sabres or Hockey Night in Canada the night before and the following morning YOU WERE Gilbert Perreault or Bernie Parent. The movie takes you into the cold....into the friendships, into the endless energy you find. It was cold outside but you never got cold. This movie, quite frankly, is incredibly warming. "PondHockey" is innocent and beautiful in it's own way. The father's who put much time into flooding their yards and maintaining a rink for the neighborhood is practically unheard of today. (I must say, outdoor sports/activities seem to be taking a backseat to the whole XBOX generation...a pity!) Yet, that's what united us....a stick, some skates, a puck, the ice, the snow flurries, the smell of fresh cold air, your Sabre hat and jersey...the sad feeling of darkness around five P.M. Boy, this film took me back to my boyhood years. Folks in Cali or the Carolinas won't get it; those in these hockey hotbeds will be speechless. Thanks for such a great glimpse into a special ritual.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Iced it"! Pond Hockety, January 8, 2009
This review is from: Pond Hockey (DVD)
I first saw the film "Pond Hockey" in Iowa City, Iowa this summer at the Landlocked Film Festival and loved it! Having lived in upstate New York, which is also "hockey country", I was fascinated to watch the story unfold. This film was not just about following the National Pond Hockey championships, it was addressing the concern about the disappearance of the culture of pond hockey. The minute I viewed this film, I knew that it was a great film to buy for my brother-in-law who constructs his own pond to play hockey on each winter. When he unwrapped his Christmas gift, he was delighted and my sister reported that he watched the whole movie immediately and shared it with other pond hockey lovers in the family. In 28 years, this was the first time ever that I "iced it" when selecting a gift for my brother-in-law. Our family highly recommends this film to everyone who loves hockey and those who want to "catch their passion"!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must See!, December 3, 2008
This review is from: Pond Hockey (DVD)
Its hard to do a sports movie right, but these guys nailed it.This is one of those great rare finds. It's a must have for hockey fans, but also anyone who likes a great movie.

Pond Hockey captures the essence of what really matters most when playing a sport with friends. Movies like these get me excited to have my own children someday, and share this movie with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars definitely on my all-star team, February 27, 2010
This review is from: Pond Hockey (DVD)
I have been a hockey parent, coach, collector and fan for over fifty years, and this wonderful DVD is a must-own for all you hockey pucks out there. It ranks right up there with the two DVDs "The Forgotten Miracle" and "Golden: The Hobey Baker Story", plus the two books "Home Ice" and "Open Ice" by Jack Falla. I know Billy Cleary and I knew the late Jack Falla, and "Pond Hockey" shows the love that they and the other interviewees have for the outdoor game.This film will convince you, if you need convincing, that every single day on a pond or an outdoor home rink is more valuable to your young player than a dozen structured games and practices.

Forgotten MiracleGolden: The Hobey Baker StoryHome Ice: Reflections on Backyard Rinks and Frozen PondsOpen Ice: Reflections and Confessions of a Hockey Lifer

5.0 out of 5 stars Reflecting on the good ol' days, March 22, 2010
This review is from: Pond Hockey (DVD)
I'm about 43 now. I grew up in the farmland of Illinois with a pond across the street and a river running behind our house. Unfortunately, I did not get into hockey (leagues, pick-up)until I moved to Texas about 14 years ago. This movie makes me see the opportunity that I missed. Wow... I had frozen fun waiting for me all winter and just took it for granted. Some day I will make up for it. I will return to my hometown (900 miles away) in the winter months with skates, stick and puck and I'll skate on that pond and the river. You guys who were able to enjoy pond hockey as kids are truly blessed. It's very sad that kids only go to the indoor rinks now days. There is a quote in this movie that says it all, "I wish I could be 8 years old again, just for a few days."

4.0 out of 5 stars good skate, March 3, 2010
This review is from: Pond Hockey (DVD)
Pond Hockey was very good, a die hard hockey fan will enjoy this more than the average fan, even more so if you play hockey and have had the chance to skate outdoors..

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome documentary!!, February 3, 2009
This review is from: Pond Hockey (DVD)
Truley an awesome documentary, but somewhat heartbreaking for a little hockey player from Mississippi who dreams of playing on a pond. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Documentary, October 19, 2012
This review is from: Pond Hockey (DVD)
Growing up and playing with/watching some of the guys in the movie made it even more special for me. This documentary successfully articulates the "art" of Pond Hockey, the purest form of hockey known to man. This is a special film that will hit home with any hockey purist or rink rat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, a good glimpse at the attraction of hockey., September 22, 2012
This review is from: Pond Hockey (Amazon Instant Video)
With a grandson addicted to hockey, the movie really explores how this addiction can carry on well beyond the individuals competitive years in rink hockey. A great sport.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable for the nostalgia... but could be better, March 20, 2012
This review is from: Pond Hockey (DVD)
Another reviewer lamented the lack of organization and overall coherence in this film.
I can see that too.
Yet, I liked it.

What's the real story?
These few dudes who are trying to win the Pond Hockey Championship?
That's not very compelling.

The really compelling story is how hockey has turned into a business, and kids spend more time covered in pads, learning to check and avoid offsides, than they do just skating.
Something has been lost over the years; kids used to just love to skate outside and play hockey. A lot of them went on to play on teams in organized leagues at the high school level and beyond.
Fathers spent a lot of time out there on the ice with their kids.

This film captures part of that sentiment, that yearning for the old days, the joy and innocence of watching bundled-up children skating on a frozen lake or in a neighborhood park.
And remembering what it was like to be a kid.

For those who grew up in Canada and the northern areas of the US (especially MN), parts of this film will touch a tender place in the heart.
The rest of this will seem a little thin.
I still recommend it for the nostalgic experience.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Pond Hockey
Pond Hockey by Tommy Haines (DVD - 2010)
$19.95 $15.96