5.0 out of 5 stars mag pump
these are simpy the best for fountains and waterfalls. make sure you get an extra impeller as it is the only thing that wears out (mine went after 12 years in brackish water) and is easy to replace. Make sure you plumb the pipe/fittings to be able to remove the side cover to replace the impeller.
Published on November 5, 2011 by Cambeul

1.0 out of 5 stars These last me about 9 months of duty time
Published on June 21, 2012 by Joe Campbell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars These last me about 9 months of duty time, June 21, 2012
This review is from: Pondmaster PM24 Pump 2400gph with Pre-Filter and 18-Foot Power Cord (Lawn & Patio)
I'm on my third one of these pumps in five years. I start my waterfall up in late April and shut it down around Halloween. The pump over-winters in my heated laundry room. All three pumps have failed during their second summer. The third and current pump just went Tango Uniform this week (Mid June 2012). In other words, this means that I get about 9 months of duty time out of the pump before a failure that costs me one-third of the price of a new one.

The failure is always the same, the bottom (PLASTIC!) shaft on the impeller shears off, which releases the high-RPM magnet to rattle around inside the windings. In two of my three failures, including the most recent one (three days ago), the impeller trashed the (PLASTIC!) upper bushing mount in the cover. It had *less* than nine months duty time.

The company is virtually impossible to contact, and when you do manage to get someone (via email), they are dismissive, rude, and (duh!) unhelpful.

My plan is fix this pump, then purchase a much less expensive 2000gph pump that has a three-year unconditional warranty.

06/25/2012: This just in: Today I received the repair parts for the PM24 pump: $50 for the impeller (outrageous), $13 (outrageous) for the cover, and TWENTY DOLLARS in shipping costs from New York to Virginia (unconscionable).

06/25/2012: Discovered new impeller was missing the lower bushing. Luckily the old one is serviceable.

5.0 out of 5 stars mag pump, November 5, 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars Great pump but has a flimsy impeller, May 18, 2013
My pump failed after the second season, so I called Danner and spoke to a woman about the problem, and she politely told me to send it back, with the POP, as it was still in warranty. Though I had to pay the shipping to get it there, they sent me a brand new unused PM 24 pump in the mail. About a year later it stopped pumping, so I got a new impeller for about $40, and it was as good as new. Now if they only had an inexpensive way to replace the flimsy ceramic shaft connected to the impeller, than I wouldn't have to buy a replacement one every other year, but since I live in California where the average summer temp is above 100 degrees, and the pump still works great after several years, I can honestly say that it has been worth it to me. I can still buy several impellers for the price of a new pump of a different brand, which may not even be able to take the daily abuse of overheating as well as the Danner Mag Drive. Because is has a completely sealed motor, there is nothing to go wrong but the impeller. So from my perspective, Danner pumps are well built, because mine has lasted quite a few years, and fortunately I haven't had any problems with their customer service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Pump, August 3, 2011
Nice and Powerful pump. I changed the Prefilter that came with it to a square sponge prefilter to prevent the goldfish from being sucked to the inlet. Works like a charm. I made a homemade filter with a 5 gallon bucket and a lid. I drilled holes in the lid with a doorknob drill bit and made a hole big enough for the outlet tube to go in.(hose should be long enough to go to the bottom of the bucket) I stuffed the bucket with fiberfill pillow stuffing from walmart and used plastic window screen under the lid to keep the fiberfill in. You can put whatever you want inside,lava rock etc. Fast Economic filter that keeps the water crystal clear. I occasionally spray the screen if any algae starts to plug the openings with a hard stream of water and that keeps the openings clear without having to shut off the filter. The bucket can be placed at the waterfall feature. Very easy to make and very economical! Love the Pump!

5.0 out of 5 stars These are the best pumps made for aquatic gardens, August 23, 2014
Dack (United States) - See all my reviews
Bought this to replace my Pondmaster 1800 that I was using for my waterfall. What a difference this pump makes. Pumps just the right volume of water to produce a strong, steady flow. I use it submerged in the koi pond. These are the best pumps made for aquatic gardens; they're efficient, quiet and last for years with proper care. My 1800 is still good but I've set it aside as a spare for the filter. I just needed a stronger pump to get the flow I needed for the falls. Very satisfied. If you need that extra flow for your water feature, this 2400 will do it for you; huge difference from just one step up from 1800.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, July 2, 2014
Just ok.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great - had another that lasted over 5 years running ..., June 27, 2014
Works great - had another that lasted over 5 years running 24/7. (and it died after becoming really clogged with debris - my bad!

5.0 out of 5 stars Water foundation, June 18, 2014
Wow good powerful pump and installed valve to control water flow .... And my wife enjoy sound of water..

Tim

5.0 out of 5 stars nice pump, June 16, 2014
Easy to install and maintain. We use it as a recirculating pump for our water feature. 5 year warranty is very good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great pump--some drawbacks, May 5, 2014
This pump does a fantastic job on my 500-gallon backyard pond w/waterfall, and you can't beat the price (Pondmaster sells it for $273). It does have a few drawbacks: 1) the "pre-filter" is a joke and allows debris into the pump which can do serious damage, so I bought an extra pre-filter and permanently attached a wire mesh screen with screws to both of them so that when one starts to get clogged I just quickly swap them out and then hose it off. 2) The white ceramic parts of the impeller are very fragile and will break easily if you try to extract it with pliers against the very strong magnetic pull. Put your pliers around the black part. 3) The outtake doesn't fit standard sized tubing so you'll need to get something from the hardware store to make the transition. Keeping these caveats in mind, it's a super pump!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›