Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ponyo
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

• Ponyo
  • Customer Reviews

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 14 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on September 16, 2015
The box specifically says that the bluray has the original Japanese voice overs, but it does not. There is no Japanese audio track on the bluray whatsoever. Not only is that a deal breaker for me, but if the Japanese audio is supposed to be there and it's just not, it's a defective product.

The DVD does, however, have a Japanese track and two English sub tracks (one for the English dub and one that's a more direct translation presumably). But I'll note again that the box says that both discs have a Japanese track.

This is a great movie, one of my all time favorites, but this is an incomplete version of it.

As for the special features there's really not much of interest. There's one section that gives you an "interactive" tour of other ghibli properties, basically an extended advertisement with no interesting information. Then there's an interview with Miyazaki, as well as the producer and the soundtrack composer. These are nice, but short. There's also a short doc on the town that inspired the setting in Ponyo. All of these you could probably watch in half an hour. You can also watch the film with the original story boards displaying in the corner. Would be nice to be able to see them full screen and just flip through them though.
on October 28, 2015
Missing scenes, manipulated dialogue. The original is one of my favorite Miyazakis. This is a chopped up version. Boo Disney.
on March 1, 2016
Ordered movie and only got bonus features 😠
on February 19, 2016
I'm not happy. Received it and I only got the bonus features. Not the movie!!! Was very excited to watch this when I got it
on March 27, 2016
Only got the bonus features, it's pretty disappointing
on February 1, 2015
This is a japanese movie and before I brought it I rented it from the libery and it had japanese sub title. This one does not have japanese subtitle.
on May 19, 2014
miyazaki is brilliant, of course, but the blue ray "skipped" - on first use - making for a disappointed group of 5 year olds
on March 30, 2015
Little kids "falling in love" and being totally obsessed?? No thanks!! Children should not be sexualized like this, like Disney flicks, abandoned by their parents and forced to figure things out on their own...this movie is stupid and weird.
44 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2012
I purchased the DVD video Ponyo and when I tried to play it I found that it is not "region compatible." Apparently when a DVD is purchased from another country (I purchased it through Amazon) there are compatibility issues and will not play on USA players. I didn't realize that it was being shipped from England.
on February 22, 2010
This is the first film in quite a few years that I have so thoroughly disliked. Many admirers claim "it's hand-drawn, not the cold, heartless work of computers!" or "the symbolism is so important and you obviously don't get it," or "Miyazaki's a master!" or "you need to attend to what's not being said as much as what IS being said." I still say any film that has a father-figure dressed like a bad drag combo of Ann-Margaret and Cher, any film that has a mother ignore warnings and outrace a flood in her crappy car and then LEAVE her very young child alone (with a strange fish!) in said flood in order to check on a bunch of old folks who are in an institution miles away with other guardians, any film that allows 5-year-olds to determine their destinies in love, and any film that so clearly wimps out at its climax is hooey. Enjoy the magic! Revel in childhood innocence! Accept the unacceptable! Yep, heard and read it all before. Ponyo's annoying and endless repetition of "Sosuke" and "ham" is grating (not cute), and the ecological message is heavy-handed. Miyazaki is more interested in emotions than conflict; yet, without conflict, emotional impact is lost. Again, I'm supposed to believe that this boy and fish are drawn (pun intended) together? Are fated soul-mates? Kids, get back to me in 20 years and let's see how you're doing. Yes, I hear the collective intake of great indignation, but for me, this was an exercise in tedium and sappiness.
3636 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse