5.0 out of 5 stars "Lumpy" stole my heart!
Published on February 15, 2005 by M. Cotter

2.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Messages... and Not All That Fun
We bought this movie for my toddler son (2 1/2 years old). He loved it at first... until he became old enough to recognize the facial expressions on the characters.

Published on February 11, 2006 by A. Stone

5.0 out of 5 stars "Lumpy" stole my heart!, February 15, 2005
M. Cotter (New Jersey USA) - See all my reviews
A thoroughly enjoyable film for the whole family! My husband and I made a quick decision to take the whole gang to see the film the day after it opened. Our five children range in age from 7 years down to 16 months, and ALL enjoyed the experience! I especially enjoyed watching our 3 year old - since this was his first "movie theater experience" - with his eyes rivoted to the screen and munching on his popcorn. He never squirmed; he simply loved every minute of it!

The baby Heffalump (a.k.a. Lumpy) had the sweetest voice and moved me to tears at times. The friendship that Roo forms with Lumpy teaches wonderful lessons to children about getting to know a person before judging them as someone to be feared or avoided. Even the gesture by Lumpy's Mom (near the end of the film)was sincerely touching as she put her trunk around the shoulders of Roo's mom Kanga.

Our children have just loved watching "Piglet's Big Movie" and "The Tigger Movie" repeatly on TiVo where we have it recorded - as well as the series "The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh" ( I truly enjoy listening to them laugh and laugh as they view these episodes!) "Pooh's Heffalump Movie" will have this family anxiously awaiting it's DVD release!

Most highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Heffalump is better than none at all., February 12, 2005
My wife, myself and our 5 and 3 year old just returned from watching this. We had been anticipating this film for sometime. This film was certainly worthy of our anticipation.

Pooh's Heffalump movie teaches valuable lessons about acceptance, prejudice and growing up. Beyond that it is a throughly entertaining and literal romp in the woods for the whole family.

While Pooh's name is on the title the star of this movie is really Roo. Roo is ultimately the catalyst of change in the film and carries the day very well.

In my opinion Pooh's Heffalump movie surpasses Piglet's big movie as the 2nd best Pooh movie of all time (Nothing in my mind will ever supplant The many of adventures of Winnie the Pooh as the best film in all of Poohdom). Not to give anything away, but I would encourage everyone who sees the movie to stay and watch the closing credits as there is a wonderful homage to Many Adventures that was laugh out loud funny.

As we were leaving the theatre my kids were already lobbying (no pun intended) to see the film again and again. And unlike many films kids want to watch over and over I wouldn't mind joining them.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Disney movies ever..., February 20, 2005
This is an awesome movie! Disney has really out done themselves with this Winnie the Pooh movie. This is my favorite out all of them. Why? 1.It adds 2 new characters to the One-Hundred Acre Wood which I was hopin the tigger movie would do. 2.It teaches alot of great lessons. 3.Lumpy is the cutest character ever! Im 13 and I enjoyed this movie. Other 13 year olds will say "Hes done seeing that movie" but even when I turn 110, I will Love Winnie the Pooh. Lets hope the next movie will be even better!

2.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Messages... and Not All That Fun, February 11, 2006
This review is from: Pooh's Heffalump Movie (DVD)

The fact is, your old pals Pooh, Piglet, Tigger, and Rabbit have NO FUN in this movie. They start off worried and progress through terrified to angry to contrite. Even Roo and the new friend Lumpy are pretty miserable for at least half the time. The "fun" of this movie comes from understanding how silly the "grown-ups" are acting... if your child is old enough to understand those jokes, then he or she is old enough for you to worry about these mixed messages:

--Miss Piglet and Ms. Rabbit? Piglet awakes in his frilly bedroom, wearing a ruffled, pink sleeping mask. Rabbit comes out of his hole in a pink sleeping robe with curlers in his ears. What's the message here? If you're small and timid, you're effeminate? If you're a worry-wart and a know-it-all, you're also effeminate? Or is it just "funny" to dress like a girl?

--Roo knows best. Roo disregards Rabbit's instructions to stay home and sneaks out without telling his mother where he's going. He's also the best at lassoing skills, and wiser in his attitude toward heffalumps. The other grown-up "males" (Kanga and Mrs. Heffalump are wise and helpful) are frightened, foolish, and inept.

--Roo, the worst kind of friend. When he meets up with Lumpy, Roo talks Lumpy into disobeying his mother - twice! First Roo convinces him to ignore her calls and come with Roo instead, and the other time he talks Lumpy into crossing over a fence to an area Lumpy's not allowed to be in. He also manipulates Lumpy into "meeting his friends", when he really just wants to show off his captured heffalump. And remember, Roo describes himself as a "grown-up" to Lumpy, so Lumpy is following dangerous instructions from a stranger.

--It's not the destruction, it's the clothes. Roo and Lumpy trash Rabbit's garden by playing a game, and what are they worried about? Their mothers won't like the mess... on their clothes. So they go wash up. They also run away from the mess they make in Pooh's house...which they enter when he's not home, where Lumpy starts eating honey without invitation or permission. Thank goodness Pooh's not too fond of honey or anything like that.

Are these messages subtle? Yes, for the most part. Would I care so much if more of the movie was happy and sweet? Probably not. But taken all together, the movie was definitely a disappointment. There are better movies to teach your children about accepting differences and conquering fears - this one wasn't worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Toddler Movie!, April 3, 2005
This review is from: Pooh's Heffalump Movie (DVD)
This is the first movie we took our 3 year old to and she loved it. Usually movies have something that seems a little too scary for the little ones, but this one didn't. Nothing too intense or too serious. A great addition to the other Pooh classics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie for little ones, February 19, 2005
Wonderful movie for the young, I strongly recommend this one for the 1 to 7 set, give or take. The story is pretty basic, but has a deep moral underpinning, that being that other people, who may be different or scary to us, are really, most probably, just a lot more like us than we realize. Roo becomes friends with a young heffalump, and in the process breaks down some of their, and their friends, preconceptions and prejudices.

Roo and Lumpy, the young heffalump with a strange accent, are really the stars here, much of the flick surrounding their meeting and interaction, however, Pooh, Rabbit, Tigger and Piglet and others all are part of the adventure too.

While the story line may sound a bit advanced, at its core, it's just a story about two young people becoming friends, and I don't think it's too advanced, because of the basic dialogue and wonderful animation, for the very young, in fact, I think kids much beyond seven or eight will probably be thinking that the movie is too immature for them.

I took my almost four year old daughter to see this flick, she was a little reluctant because she wanted to see that Zebra movie again (she's seen it twice already, enough, I'll buy the dvd) but once she sat down and the Pooh movie started, she didn't move from her seat. This is a great grandparents-take-the-kids to the movies flick, it's fairly short, non-controversial, nothing objectionable, etc. I give it a big recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for small children & Pooh fans of all ages, February 14, 2005
Ei "crzybookmoovielover" (Seekonk, Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
At just over an hour long, "Pooh's heffalump movie" qualifies as possibly the BEST movie for children from ages 2 - 5 to see in the theaters at the present time. All the kids in the theater I saw this in where all between those ages, and I never heard a peep. They were all otherwise engaged by Pooh and his friends, Roo mostly, on their silly 'exposition" to catch a heffalump.

Roo ends up finding one on his own, and him and "Lumpy" the heffalump become fast friends. While he was taught to fear the heffalump, like the rest of the 100 acre wood residents, he learns fast that heffalumps aren't anything to be afraid of. To think the Heffalumps had the same feeling about them?

Prejudice in a Pooh movie? yes. odd as it sounds that is what we have here..But we also have Lumpy who is the cute little purple Heffalump that Roo catches, gets to know, then lets him go. Then the two little cutie pie cartoon characters embark on a journey of fun and excitement. I applaud the animators too as this is one of the better animated Disney movies I've seen in a while.

All in all, this was a great movie that I'm not worried about my little boy watching. And I have been a long time Pooh film fan, and my son inherited that trait. We had a wonderful time seeing this in the theater and i would see it again! I'd probably tear up again to as I found it very sweet and sentimental.

Eileen F.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Wonderful!, February 11, 2005
Took my 2 and 4 year olds to see this movie today and they both just loved it. A little suspence (enough to keep them entertained) and a great story line. Acutally found myself tearing up at the end. Very cute and perfect for little ones. Great job!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pooh's Heffalump Movie, March 9, 2005
I took my 4 year old daughter and 4 year old nephew to see this movie. It was incredible, the best Pooh movie I've seen in a long time. The kids sat through the whole thing very well and really enjoyed it. It had some very valuable lessons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heffa good time with Pooh's latest movie, February 12, 2005
After hearing strange noises in the night, Pooh and his friends set off on an "expotition" to capture the heffalump they believe is causing them. Though none has ever actually seen a heffalump, the friends are all certain that they are fearsome, evil beasts.

Will they catch a heffalump? Are heffalumps truly scary monsters? Will Roo make it home for dinner? All these questions and more are answered in this surprisingly entertaining movie.

Pooh's Heffalump Movie maintains the high animation standards set by recent Pooh titles. Carly Simon's new, original songs are entertaining and catchy. The movie is truly for all ages - there is nothing too violent or scary for even the youngest children. For school-age kids, the decisions Pooh and his friends make and the lessons they learn can easily serve as icebreakers for a conversation on prejudice and acceptance.

Finally, the movie is easy on adults. It's not overly long, and I can easily imagine watching (or at least hearing) it again and again, if the kids want to get it once it's on DVD.

Pooh's Heffalump Movie
Pooh's Heffalump Movie by Frank Nissen (DVD - 2005)
$47.49