Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Pooh's Library: Winnie-The-Pooh, The House At Pooh Corner, When We Were Very Young, Now We Are Six (Pooh Original Edition)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Periphery Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on November 7, 2000
How could anyone pass up a set of the classic stories of a boy and his stuffed friends. With the original illustrations (not the Disney-fied stuff), these are the books I remember my father reading to me when I was "very young." Many kids today may be familiar with a few of these stories from the Disney shorts (combined later into a feature length version and on video). Most kids also know Winnie the Pooh because of Disney (who even brought out a line of "classic Pooh" products based on the original toys and illustrations). These stories were beautiful to begin with - precisely why Walt brought them to the big screen.
Filled with childhood honesty and simplicity, these were the tales Milne told his own child, Christopher Robin, inspired by the boys' stuffed toys and the animals that lived nearby. Do your kids a favor and start by reading the original stories, to them and with them, as they were originally written. As a set, its a wonderful keepsake to pass on to generations.
0Comment| 121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 9, 2008
This edition is in black and white, I would not have ordered if I had known. I ordered this edition because I thought the 4 small books would be easier for a child to hold and read than the larger, heavier editions (of which I actually own). I didn't order the 80th anniversary edition because I read several reviews that said the covers tear easily on that edition. However, the color editions are so much more beautiful and have much nicer paper than this edition.
Please note I rate this edition as a 2, but the books themselves as a 5. Winnie-the-Pooh is every child's favorite.
88 comments| 169 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 10, 2005
Amazon's software asked for a reviw of Pooh's Library, a collection of reprints of four Winne books. Shall I also review Alice in Wonderland? Oliver Twist? The Adventures of Tom Sawyer?

The Pooh is, of course, classic.

What I will say about this particular edition is that it reproduces the original almost perfectly and so is, for the price, a huge bargain.

This is no re-telling or other messing up the original. It IS the original, with the pictures. If you want Winnie the way A. A. Milne saw it, this is your ticket.
on October 20, 2005
Pooh may be the headliner, but some of the stories I remember best are those of James James Morrison Morrison Weatherby George Dupree (who took great care of his mother, though he was only three), Emmeline (who went to see the Queen), and King John (whose list for Father Christmas contained just one item, a big red India-rubber ball). Everything is written from a perspective that a child would understand, without judgment, without condescension... This is a wonderful collection. I can still see Pooh trying to get his head out of the Hunny jar, Owl going on at length about the Spotted or Herbaceous Backson, Eeyore mourning his popped balloon. Whether your kids read these books themselves, or you read to them, these books are a treasure they'll want to pass down to their kids.
on July 19, 2006
Every child should read at least one A.A.Milne book. They are excellent read-alouds because they are entertaining for the adult who is reading them as well as the children.

While you can read these to young children, don't hesitate to read them to even 7-9 year olds. My younger children enjoy listening to them because they are about Pooh, but my older children love them because they are funny! Older children are able to pick up on humor that is lost on 4-5 year old children.

While Disney and others have popularized Winnie the Pooh, etc... and those books are nicely illustrated, the writing of A.A.Milne is so worth your while. These books are a good investment if you are interested in having good literature for your children.
on January 11, 2007
These books were purchased for grandchildren. I grew up having these read to me, read them all over & over to my own five, and now to the grandchildren.

A. A. Milne uses wonderful language, humor, suspense, making these books and their wisdom last into adulthood - we all have favorite quotes often used to fit specific situations. To this family, they represent the very best childhood literature.
on December 19, 2015
I bought these as a gift for a 21 month old little boy (who is in love with both books & Pooh Bear) & it was a HUGE success!! He instantly pulled them out of their box & began turning the pages to see more pictures of Pooh! He was delighted & so was I!! They are the perfect size for any child, have the sweetest pictures & it's the complete collection of Winnie the Pooh... How can you go wrong?!
review image review image review image
on July 27, 2005
I think A.A. Milne is a great writer for anybody. The books are touching, kid friendly, heart-warming, with plots, twists, and adventures in the middle. With Pooh and all his friends from Piglet to Eeyore. And I agree with Kelli that the original illustrations are memorable. BEST EVER.
on October 4, 2013
This book consists of the original four children's by A. A. Milne with ink-line illustrations by Ernest Shepard (who Milne though was the best artist for the job, and who drew Christopher Robin from life). As literature, and as illustration, I think these are worth five stars. But the physical quality of the books disturbs me. It seems to me that a boxed set should be handsomely done, but these are not. Their printing is mediocre, and their binding is a sloppy glue job. Library bindings are advertised, but these are not library bindings in the ordinary sense. Rather, they are hardcovers put on the poorly made books, and they do not contribute to the ruggedness of the books as library bindings are supposed to do. In place of these I strongly recommend "The World of Pooh" and "The World of Christopher Robin", which contain the same literature and illustrations, as well as several watercolor illustrations added later by Mr. Shepard, and which are physically very well made.
on November 4, 2006
The Winnie the Pooh stories and poems are timeless. Little kids hear the basic story line, but as they grow, they begin to catch the underlying messages and cleverness. Grown-ups can appreciate the wit of Milne's writing. Besides the stories, don't miss the poems about King John's Christmas rubber ball, rice pudding, walking on the squares, etc etc - they are cute poems, but also the kind children can hear and remember as adults.

"Have you been a good girl, Jane?"

If you missed them with your children, begin them as a tradition with your grandchildren! The original is so much more than Disney (as it usually is when books are made into movies).