5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone's Favorite Photo Book - Artful Nudes, December 23, 1999
This review is from: Pool Light (Hardcover)
I have over 50 photo books in my collection, but this one gets the most attention. Everyone seems to linger over the many beautiful images in this book, even after quickly flipping through other photo books by great masters. Howard Schatz has taken some beautiful vibrantly colored (and some black and white) artistic photos underwater, even though most other photographers get ugly photos with a horrible blue cast when they take underwater shots. The monumental effort necessary to create these great images is documented in this book and is well worth the read too.
By the way, it is interesting to note that some people I know who are offended even by what many would consider artistic nudes are surprisingly not offended by the nudes in this book. So, if you tend to be offended by artistic nudes, perhaps you may find this book opens your eyes to the beauty of the nude as an art form. I suspect with this book that Howard Schatz may have made a significant contribution to the acceptance of nudes by the general public.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Human form has no better friend, December 28, 1998
This review is from: Pool Light (Hardcover)
As a photographer, choreographer and dancer myself, I tend to be a tough sell on books which hype a photographer's mastery of the human form, particularly where dance or dancers are concerned. But such is my appreciation, and awe, of what Schatz has accomplished in his water studies that I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw that he had published "Pool Light."
Less a book about dancers than about the incredible beauty of the human body, "Pool Light," transcends the very things which frustrate us as movers. In this book, the photographer and his models make us believe in both flight and fantasy. They inspire us to see shape unihibited by gravity or earthly confines. And they succeed in taking nudity, within a photographic environment, out of the controversial realms of "indecency" and restoring it to art in the way the great painters have seen it.
Technically, the work is nothing short of a marvel. Great photography, like any great art, deceives the viewer into believing that what they see is so easy, so natural, as to be routinely simple. In "Pool Light," we see none of the sweat, none of the frustration and aches (and presumably water-logged participants), which must certainly have gone into each image. Instead, we are invited simply to see that most classic of forms, and ancient of muses, the human figure, shown, through the most contemporary of techniques, in a way which celebrates both even as it transcends our sense of their limitations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every page of this book is fascinating, October 31, 2004
J. Lizzi (Costa Mesa, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pool Light (Hardcover)
Whereas "Water Dance" took off from an experiment, "Pool Light" appears to be the result of a complete mastery of this unique form of photography which combines beautiful bodies with dazzling fluid effects. Every image in this book is a sight to behold, combining the beauty and grace of the human body with the imagination and emotion brought forth by an underwater stage.

Photographer Howard Schatz has advanced beyond "Water Dance" to perfect his art of underwater photography through a more effective use of the pool's characteristics to portray motion, suspend animation, and produce some of the most fantastic images of the human body. Every one of the 120+ photos is worth a long look. The bodies of the dancers, models and swimmers are not all there is to admire, but take a look at how Mr. Schatz uses the surface of the pool as a mirror or as a screen to either reflect or shield portions of the physique. Every aspect of each image seems to be perfectly in place, even air bubbles and ripples of the pool's surface, which add an interesting quality of depth and lighting.

As a nice complement to the images, there are several pages of commentary which describe the artists' (photographer, collaborators and models) inspiration and efforts, as well as some of what goes into making a book like this. For example, it's noted how Mr. Schatz prepares his "liquid studio" to be more tolerable to the subjects, such as using ozonated (not chlorinated) water, and matching the pool's pH balance to that of human tears so that models can keep their eyes open longer. Interesting reading indeed.

"Pool Light" is one of my favorite photography books of all time, and I would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely beautiful book., February 26, 1999
This review is from: Pool Light (Hardcover)
I thought it impossible for Schatz to take the viewer beyond the otherworldly visions he gave us in Water Dance, but I was pleasantly suprised to find that he is more than willing to surpass his groundbreaking earlier works in this newest effort.

4.0 out of 5 stars Always Marvellous, July 8, 1999
This review is from: Pool Light (Hardcover)
This is a beautifully made, effortless-seeming collection of underwater fantasies and studies - I loved Water Dance. I'm not sure I'm with him on the makeup. But as playful/sirenesque/naiad photos it is the tops.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unearthly, May 6, 2000
Derby Chang (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pool Light (Hardcover)
With production values like a Hollywood movie, this book still manages to be intimate, and at the same time, otherworldly and unattainable. More technically accomplished and more luxurious compared to "Water Dance" (although the latter is also a must-have), I can pour over this book time and again, and find another detail or expression to seduce me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer magic, March 10, 2003
Carlos Senderey (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pool Light (Hardcover)
A magic delight to any person with or even without sensibility.
A must see for photographers and artists. It is a source of inspiration for my paintings and sculptures.
The beauty of the human body as if we were still in Eden.
After this book I was hooked on all Schatz books.
Do not miss it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book!, May 25, 2001
This review is from: Pool Light (Hardcover)
Absolutely beautifully photographed book. Schatz captures the God given beauty of the models under water with perfect taste. This is his best book by far. Yes far better than his most recent book Nude Body Nude.The dancers and models in this book appear to be much more natural and have a graceful beauty that almost makes you forget their nude; as opposed to the cliche "sexy" look that is typical of other models.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sets the benchmark, October 16, 2001
This review is from: Pool Light (Hardcover)
I have now bought three copies of this book, one for my house in London, one for my house in the country, and one which I cut up - so I could frame and hang my favourites. It IS that good: this is a truly-wonderful collection. Howard Schatz is a great photographer and in Pool Light he sets the benchmark.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable! The best book of photography ever!, December 27, 1998
This review is from: Pool Light (Hardcover)
I've never seen images like this before. The images are rich, unique, creative, thrilling. I can't put it down and I've bought it as a gift for all my friends. There's nothing like it.

Pool Light
Pool Light by Howard Schatz (Hardcover - Jan. 1999)
Used & New from: $59.10