Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Poop Happened!: A History of the World from the Bottom Up
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 24, 2014
Hi, I'm Sarah, who wrote this book. I am truly sorry that it is currently unavailable, and that it is being resold, used, at such exorbitant prices. My publisher was caught off guard by the sudden demand for this book after the NPR story aired (search npr/sarah albee and you'll find it). But rest assured, it's being rushed back on press and will be available soon, at its regular price. Thanks for your support, and your patience.
on May 12, 2010
This is a great history book disguised with a title sure to appeal to your children. It's a literary equivalent of getting your kids to eat their vegetables, while enjoying them. Full of interesting historical facts, clever sidebars, and fun digressions, I learned more than I ever knew about ancient societies and had many questions answered that I never thought to ask. Highly recommended for adults and for curious kids and/or reluctant readers.
on May 12, 2010
Who knew an 8-year-old could giggle over the Defenstration of Prague? When he finally studies the Thirty Years' War in high school or college, he'll have a few things to teach the teacher. This is a fun, engaging book... for kids of all ages, I'd guess.
on May 22, 2010
Who would have thought you could learn so much about the world through poop? My 7 year old has been hoarding this book - goes to bed with it every night. He absolutely LOVES it and won't share it with his 4 year old sister who is equally fascinated with it though she can't read it as well. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.
on May 16, 2016
Normally, I don't read books about such gross topics but this sounded rather intriguing. And I'm glad I read it, mostly, sometimes ignorance really is bliss. On the other hand, after reading about all the major problems caused by the lack of adequate waste removal, I have a much greater appreciation for modern toilet facilities. The chapter titles are quite intriguing and eye-catching (especially for young readers who are into the gross, psst, don't tell them that they are actually studying history here ;)): Poop Matters, Bad Plumbing? Bad News, The Origin of Feces, When in Rome, Poo as the Romans do, etc. Each chapter includes brief sections on various aspects of the topic along with sidebars on Hygiene heroes, too much information sections (these tend to be especially appalling), and Icky Occupations. There was a lot of information here about what life really was like during various time periods, including practical things such as how women in hoop skirts managed to go to the bathroom (read the book if you want to know!). This is the sort of history that is left out of the history books but was really important in the lives of those who lived through those times (the sections on disease make this clear). This is a book that will definitely catch the eye of young readers, but only those with a strong stomach should pick it up.
on June 28, 2010
Gave this book to a friend for her birthday...it got passed around the party, and by the end of the night everyone wanted a copy! Did I mention she was turning 24? :) Everybody can connect with this book--the writing is clever and witty, and the topic will absolutely draw you in. Fascinating, fun, and delightfully yucky. Thanks for a great read!
on May 12, 2010
A thought-provoking, nose-holding look at history told with loads of humor and style. Clever, informative sidebars, such as "Hygiene Heroes" and "Icky Occupations" (know what a gongfermor did?), make all this fascinating and fun. Everyone poops; everyone should read this book.
on August 11, 2010
We originally purchased this book for our 10 year old son but the entire family thoroughly enjoyed it. We set aside family time to read chapters together. Not only does this make for a fun read but the historical facts are accurate. I highly recommend this book to school children and will be buying a copy for our school library.
on February 1, 2016
This was very interesting. I found out things about poop I never knew. No not about "poop" but about the invention of how "poop" was taken care of through the ages of time. A good bathroom book ..lol
on June 16, 2010
I couldn't put this book down! I work in a library, where I saw this on the new book shelf. Very few books reach "couldn't put this book down" status. This one is a winner. Reading this book caused me to neglect the housework for an evening. It was amazing. Highly, highly recommended.