Poor physical quality of DVDs: scratches, etc...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 13, 2012 6:35:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2012 6:38:08 PM PDT
Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season

We were anxiously awaiting the arrival of our Game of Thrones box set. Popcorn and wine at the ready, we opened up the box only to discover the first disc had such severe scratches on it, it wouldn't play properly. The opening scenes skipped and stuttered.

Mind you, I worked for many years with a company which sold software, so I'm quite familiar with the proper technique for removing a disc from its packaging and how to handle a disc.

Along with the first disc, the second was also scratched. Needless to say, these were returned to Amazon. The tray and outer packaging of this box set is so fitted, it would have been impossible for the discs to have come loose from their trays -- unlike you sometimes find in plastic DVD boxes. I can only imagine that these discs were packaged this way.

Fast forward to the arrival of our replacement set today. I unwrapped the box carefully to discover the inserts -- which include a folded map and a couple other flyers -- were so haphazardly thrown into the case, the top of the map was bent and ripped. (Luckily the DVDs themselves weren't scratched in our replacement copy.) Very sub-par, disappointing quality from box sets I would normally expect to be in mint condition. I'm not bothering to get this set replaced as the damage is cosmetic and doesn't actually affect the DVDs but it's still quite poor on HBO's part and whoever is manufacturing their products.

Has anyone else had such issues with the poor quality of their box sets?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 2:57:28 PM PDT
B. Ehlers says:
The map in my set was also damaged, the bottom was crushed from what I assume was someone hastily jamming it into place. I was not happy about it because I am pretty anal with these things, but I don't feel it's worth the hassle of returning it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 8:23:16 PM PDT
Yeah, agreed. Not worth the hassle of returning but a shame nonetheless as it was quite a nice insert.

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 10:58:25 AM PDT
Quick tip from a veteran Amazon shopper. If the first purchase is damaged retain that copy until the new one arrrives then take the best out of both items then return the remainder.

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 7:06:25 AM PDT
Mine is just delivered, in pristine condition and nicely packed. It shipped on launch day via standard shipping and received today in Chile. It was shipped by i-parcel, I guess I was lucky reading how many problems many have had with this carrier. It was more than a week earlier than expected too! Can't wait to catch up before Season 2 starts!

Posted on Apr 20, 2013 11:53:45 AM PDT
Vince Caruso says:
Agree whole-heartedly. GREAT series, shoddy packaging. I had to force the slip cover off the box only to find that the case inside didn't have enough glue to keep it in one piece (guess they used that to glue the outside slip cover in place... Very disappointed with the container, but the content was amazing, so I ordered season 2 midway through watching season 1.

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 1:50:14 AM PDT
Chuck-Deez says:
I just started season 2 and disc one had 2 large scratches on it. Thanks for the advice - starting the return process.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Mar 13, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Game of Thrones, Season 1
Game of Thrones, Season 1 by Harry Lloyd (DVD - 2012)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (3,969)